dual din navigation headunit, that will display navi on a 2nd monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:42 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dual din navigation headunit, that will display navi on a 2nd monitor?

So what I'm looking for is a dual din navigation unit... that will display the navigation on a 2nd external monitor, while leaving the screen on the actual unit itself available to control things and watch DVD's etc...

Basically on an 8th gen accord, I want to replace the upper (non navi display) with a secondary display to show the navigation maps and stuff. while the main unit is in the dash, easy to reach, and can play DVD's and do other functions.

Anyone know if that exists??

I know its possible, the other way around (2nd monitor for DVD's etc... but the main scren on the unit to display navigation and buttons for different controls etc...)
Old 04-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

I got the first paragraph but the more I read on the more I got confused.. I think I know what you're looking for and I haven't seen it done yet.

You might be better off buying a dedicated Navi unit for the top screen. I'm pretty sure a shop could tear apart a portable Navi or come up with another Navi solution. But I don't think you could get a constant Navi signal off the unit below.

I like the idea and uniqueness..
Old 04-24-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jonesi
I got the first paragraph but the more I read on the more I got confused.. I think I know what you're looking for and I haven't seen it done yet.

You might be better off buying a dedicated Navi unit for the top screen. I'm pretty sure a shop could tear apart a portable Navi or come up with another Navi solution. But I don't think you could get a constant Navi signal off the unit below.

I like the idea and uniqueness..
based on your reply I think u have a good grasp on what I want to do.

Sorry for it being a little hard to understand.

Using a portable nav up top isn't a BAD idea, its just that I wanted the functionality and controls to be at my finger tips, that is on the main unit. I just wanted the display up top in the much farther away display.

Heres a pic below of what it could potentially look like...

The car below isn't mine... the screen below would be the main unit, and up top where that picture is (thats ap icture that the guy pasted up there i think, not an actual display) --- it needs something... and a 2nd screen to show just the navigation map would be JUST the ticket!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Ahhh yes.. I forgot about the controls and touch screen functionality.. That sounds like a interesting project. I would think to have all that you would need a separate dedicated unit.

Have you thought about making the bottom one purely a "screen" dvd's etc and the top one have the full functionality? Getting the video seems easier(in my head) then the Navigation etc..

That is without a whole separate unit.

edit: and if you figure it out you better document it and come up with a nice write up..
Old 04-24-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Ahhh yes.. I forgot about the controls and touch screen functionality.. That sounds like a interesting project. I would think to have all that you would need a separate dedicated unit.

Have you thought about making the bottom one purely a "screen" dvd's etc and the top one have the full functionality? Getting the video seems easier(in my head) then the Navigation etc..

That is without a whole separate unit.

edit: and if you figure it out you better document it and come up with a nice write up..
Having the top one fit the whole navi unit wont work beacuse its too far to reach to control everything.

The easiest solution is to leave the top as just video and the bottom display navi and everything.

The problem with that though is that I dont want the video screen to be up top beacuse you can see it through the windows in that case and its illegal to have video in view of the driver in motion.... I gotta take a look at the car to see if you can see it out the back window.