Double Din adapter

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 04:15 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double Din adapter

I'm getting an aftermarket headunit installed in my TSX as the current set up with stock head unit and aftermarket subs/ speakers/amps is not working well due to the drastic equalization (bass variation) with volume on the stock head unit. I really did not want to install an aftermarket headunit in fear of compromising the great coherence and theme of the TSX interior. But I have now realized that is the only way for me to get kick-ass sound, so I am planning on doing that. Have located a good JVC headunit that has a full color screen, planning on matching the color to the stock units as far as possible..

but coming to the question - I want to install a single din head unit (Mp3 player) in the big CD storage cubby with the damped door. First I was trying to see if I can install the new headunit behind the door, but from my research looks like that will be unlikely. So I am going to try to do something like using an adpater similar to what Acura provides if you get an Mp3 player from the factory. This means that I will loose the whole storage area for a single din unit, but I'd rather do that and have it look professional. So does anyone know where I can get an adapter like the one Acura provides with the accessory Mp3 player, like in the picture below? Do you guys see any good options?

http://acura.com/bap/bap_option_btm....OPTIONTYPE=INT
Old 02-07-2004, 12:58 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Double Din adapter

Originally posted by pghtsx
I'm getting an aftermarket headunit installed in my TSX as the current set up with stock head unit and aftermarket subs/ speakers/amps is not working well due to the drastic equalization (bass variation) with volume on the stock head unit. I really did not want to install an aftermarket headunit in fear of compromising the great coherence and theme of the TSX interior. But I have now realized that is the only way for me to get kick-ass sound, so I am planning on doing that. Have located a good JVC headunit that has a full color screen, planning on matching the color to the stock units as far as possible..

but coming to the question - I want to install a single din head unit (Mp3 player) in the big CD storage cubby with the damped door. First I was trying to see if I can install the new headunit behind the door, but from my research looks like that will be unlikely. So I am going to try to do something like using an adpater similar to what Acura provides if you get an Mp3 player from the factory. This means that I will loose the whole storage area for a single din unit, but I'd rather do that and have it look professional. So does anyone know where I can get an adapter like the one Acura provides with the accessory Mp3 player, like in the picture below? Do you guys see any good options?

http://acura.com/bap/bap_option_btm....OPTIONTYPE=INT
I am having really good luck with amp off of the factory unit. took me a while to figure out what to do with the equalization built into the factory amp though. Have you considered having a custom harness made off of the factory head unit and bypassing the amp all together? I do not think the equalization is in the factory HU...seems to be completely hard coded in the amp circuitry.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:06 AM
4th Gear

Re: Double Din adapter

Hey Silver,

With the limited information I could find I was more or less convinced that the equalization is more than likely done in the HU before it reaches the amp, and this makes sense to me as that is the way most aftermarket equalizers also work, they tweak the signal prior to amplification. Also, after the expense so far, I am kinda hesitant on doing anything more to the system without the gaurantee that it will sound great. In any case I think I have come up with a good solution to this problem, here is what I am planning to do...

So as to retain the use of the stock 6 -CD changer even after I put a aftermarket headunit in the car, I am getting a JVC Mp3/Single CD player which has AUX input and EQUALIZER (JVC LH3150) . So all the speaker amps will be sourced by the RCA 4V outputs from the JVC. However I will take one full range speaker channel from the stock amp, use a line to RCA converter and feed that into the AUX input on the JVC. So when I want to use the stock 6-CD changer all I have to do is switch to AUX input on the JVC! Also, since my master volume control is on the JVC, I can leave the stock HU and one fixed volume - say 25 - and using the digital equalizer on the JVC compensate for any equalization done by the stock head unit.

Finally, the last thing I realized was I would loose the functionality of my steering wheel controls, but looks like there are adapters available that allow the use of steering wheel controls to change tracks etc. on aftermarket units via the remote. Its a small harness that goes into the steering wheel and now you control the aftermarket volume, FWD etc...

Actually I am not working on my car myself, its one of my buddies and he has posted a few messages on here under 16psibrick. He does great work and has been helping me come up with an optimal solution and implement. I would surely recommend him to anyone who needs work on their car (and who don't have the time or skills to do it themselves) around the pennsylvania area..
here's one of his threads..
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=6222

So in your system how did you get around the equalization problem? Did you install an equalizer? Did you change out the speakers and amps?
Old 02-08-2004, 03:37 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: Double Din adapter

Originally posted by pghtsx
Hey Silver,

With the limited information I could find I was more or less convinced that the equalization is more than likely done in the HU before it reaches the amp, and this makes sense to me as that is the way most aftermarket equalizers also work, they tweak the signal prior to amplification. Also, after the expense so far, I am kinda hesitant on doing anything more to the system without the gaurantee that it will sound great. In any case I think I have come up with a good solution to this problem, here is what I am planning to do...
If you look at the ouputs from the pream, you wil see there are only four (at least that is all I think I saw as far as line out). The amp has 8 channels coming out of it. There is no way that I can think of that the preamp could handle the crossovers and eq witout over complicating the HU unit. Many Amps (Alipne come to mind) have eq circuity built in. With the 8 channels out, I believe the eq curve are embedded in the Amp...not the HU. I would love to know for sure.

What you are going to do sounds interesting. I can't wait to hear how it all turns out. As far as my system, I replaced all speakers (dash still to go) with Alpine Type S. I added bass blockers to the fronts blocking from 300Hz down and drive them from an Alpine 3555 (50watts x 4) amp front channel. The rear doors and rear deck use the line out eq from the read door llines and are driven by the rear channels of the amp in parallel @ 2 ohms. I have a smal 8" JL sub in a bandpass box driven bridged off the front channels crossed over at 100Hz. Sounds pretty good actually. Good enough that I am going to wait for a dash kit to replace the HU.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Intermediate

pghtsx, there are aftermarkets adaptor for the steering wheels. I have been told about that by my audio installer. One of the adapter is from Stinger. However, they will only control the volume (up/down) and the channel (up/down). The mode button will not be functional anymore.

I myself was looking into adding a screen at the CD storage customly built so the door will still be there (and closeable!). I was looking at the Eclipse hu (I forgot what the model no is). It's so damn expensive (AU$2,700), so I probably won't do it until next year.

As for using the stock 6 in-dash CD changer, it is an interesting idea, would love to know how it goes. Just one suggestion, get a really good RCA line converter to avoid any engine noise

I currently already have installed an Audison SRx2s powering the Focal 162K2P front splits, and another Audison SRx2s powering the RF HE2 Punch 12" sub. All runs from stock head unit. So once I have enough for the eclipse hu, I simply just need to have it installed and change the input signal of the amps from the stock speaker line to the RCA of the hu, which should improve the sound a lot and eliminate the engine noise that the stock head unit is making
Old 02-09-2004, 12:52 AM
Don't listen to me.

Just so you know the amp is made by Pioneer, and it does have the built in eq. I am in the process of getting the specs from them but it is taking some time because it is not a retail item.