Dont really like the kappas.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 02:44 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont really like the kappas.....

I think they are a little harsh and don't have enough mid bass. Do any of yall have any suggestions on other brands...I was thinking of focal Polykevlar 165K2 or CDT HD62DT. What would yall do for the rear fill since these 2 companies don't make 6X9. Would you go with a 6.5 coax or something like that. Any help from any one that has these or have herd these brands...Ron any input? I have a JL 75X4 amp to run on them.
Thanks
Old 07-10-2001, 05:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by NOLACLS:
<STRONG>I think they are a little harsh and don't have enough mid bass. Do any of yall have any suggestions on other brands...I was thinking of focal Polykevlar 165K2 or CDT HD62DT. What would yall do for the rear fill since these 2 companies don't make 6X9. Would you go with a 6.5 coax or something like that. Any help from any one that has these or have herd these brands...Ron any input? I have a JL 75X4 amp to run on them.
Thanks </STRONG>
by harsh...do you mean the tweeters produce "ear bleading" highs? also...i have the infinity reference series. at first, i, too thought that they don't produce enough mid bass. but lately, they've sounded quite alright. i think these speakers need to be broken in for a week or so. with regards to the highs, i've lowered the treble on the bose stereo and the highs have been more bearable. quite crisp, actually.
Old 07-11-2001, 03:45 AM
Instructor

As for the midbass...I personally think it has a little too much especially coming from the rear 6x9's. I say this because I'm comparing the sound to my home stereo system which I actually use to help me equalize my car stereo. Again, it's all about preference.
Old 07-11-2001, 04:04 AM
Drifting

Well I don't know its just something about them that I just don't like. I listen to my home stereo to compare and wish it sounded like that. I have a full surround sound with B&W speakers and a paradigm sub (250w RMS DVC 12). I keep telling myself that the Focal Polykevlar look just like them so they might sound as good! Just look and see.
B&W (that I have for my fronts) http://www.bwspeakers.com/products/g...CA00D0B74745A0
And focal poykevlar http://www.focal-america.com/catalog...vlar/165k2.htm

But there is also CDT HD-62DT. I just don't witch one, and there is no place that sells them around me so I can hear them. Any thoughts on which one?
Old 07-11-2001, 04:24 AM
Everybody Wang Chung

Hey Focal is the way to go. Also they do make 6X9's (690 HC) they are just the polyflex series.
Old 07-11-2001, 06:02 AM
Instructor

pretty hig order to match the beautiful B&W home speakers with automotive set-ups....too many things are different which makes itg a never ending battle.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by NOLACLS:
<STRONG>Well I don't know its just something about them that I just don't like. I listen to my home stereo to compare and wish it sounded like that. I have a full surround sound with B&W speakers and a paradigm sub (250w RMS DVC 12). I keep telling myself that the Focal Polykevlar look just like them so they might sound as good! Just look and see.
B&W (that I have for my fronts) http://www.bwspeakers.com/products/gallery/photo_details.cfm?object_ id=AE6F3ECB-FE5E-11D3-B7CA00D0B74745A0
And focal poykevlar http://www.focal-america.com/catalog...vlar/165k2.htm

But there is also CDT HD-62DT. I just don't witch one, and there is no place that sells them around me so I can hear them. Any thoughts on which one?</STRONG>
it's really difficult to compare the sound at your home and in your car. the acoustics and sound absorption, in my situation are totally different. when i listen to my music at home, i listen to it only in stereo...no rears or surrounds. i particularly appreciate good stereo imaging and crisp highs from a pair of good speakers and amp. so when i re-did my system in the cl, that's what i tried to achieve as well. the crisp highs i've accomplished. the stereo imaging is kinda difficult to attain due to the seat positioning and limited space. but all in all, after replacing the stock bose speakers and amp then adding a sub, the clarity of the mids, the fuller base, the crisper highs, i think is very much worth the amount of money i spent. by the way, i listen to a lot of contemporary jazz (benoit, matzui, boswell, etc) and 80's music (pet shop boys, u2, sting, etc)....no rap, reggae, heavy metal....so i don't need a lot of power or wattage capabilites. i spent a total of $1600 to redo the speakers, sub, amp and all the wiring. and i very much appreciate the sound now...and the longer i listen to music in my car, the more i love it!!
Old 07-11-2001, 03:19 PM
Advanced

You can't go wrong with Focals. I listened to the Infinity because they are one of the most mentioned brands. I wasn't really impressed. I did get a chance to hear the Focals, CDT's, Diamonds, Quarts, Boston Acoustics Pros, and a few others. I went with the Focals because to me they were the best by a good margin.

As mentioned, Focal does make a pair of 6x9's, but I am completely skipping rear fill. I don't think it's nescesarry at all.
Old 07-11-2001, 03:58 PM
Drifting

Where can i get a good price on focal 165K2?
Old 07-11-2001, 07:35 PM
Everybody Wang Chung

http://www.thezeb.com/zebaudio.html

They are $408 at the ZEB
Old 07-11-2001, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Try luchioni@aol.com he will beat that price of $408
Old 07-11-2001, 10:19 PM
Drifting

I think i might go with the CDT HD-62DT. Any one herd them befor. I have been told that they sound real good and the price is not to bad. 370.00 shiped.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:26 PM
Drifting

Any one want to buy the kappas i will ship them to you for 300.00. I paid 330.00 for them and i only have had them hooked up for about a week. They sound good, just a little to bright for me. Just e mail me.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:34 AM
Instructor

Well let me know how the install goes on the Focals...If it turns out ok I might have to get a set myself.