Does adding an amp improve overall sound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does adding an amp improve overall sound?

I've got a question.
If i added an amp and a sub, will the sound be improved? or would that only provide me with more base?
thanks

-Rob
Old 08-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

The bass would be improved but, not the overall sound. Need to replace the speakers for that to happen.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Pro

Originally posted by AcuraX2
The bass would be improved but, not the overall sound. Need to replace the speakers for that to happen.
I disagree. Adding an amp would provide more headroom. It allows your music to be played at higher volumes. While I agree that speakers have the greatest overall effect on sound quality, there have been many people who have been unhappy with changing just the speakers in a factory system since they lose the ability to play their music at volumes as high as they could with the factory speakers...

The thing I usually recommend to people is to change the speakers to the ones they have auditioned and enjoy, then spend a small amount on a low to mid priced amp or whatever their budget dictates...

If you are going to change just the amp, you have to be very careful since factory speakers usually run at very strange impedences...

Bryan
Old 08-20-2003, 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

I was assuming that he meant a sub amp, not an amp for the speakers. Even still, adding an amp to the factory speakers, in my opinion is not going to help much. The factory speakers are designed to use the factory eq and an aftermarket amp is not going to mesh well with them. If you are keeping the factory head unit, an amp and speaker upgrade would be best. If you are replacing the head unit, you could just upgrade speakers. Again though, I was assuming he meant just a sub amp.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by autophile1
I disagree. Adding an amp would provide more headroom. It allows your music to be played at higher volumes. While I agree that speakers have the greatest overall effect on sound quality, there have been many people who have been unhappy with changing just the speakers in a factory system since they lose the ability to play their music at volumes as high as they could with the factory speakers...

The thing I usually recommend to people is to change the speakers to the ones they have auditioned and enjoy, then spend a small amount on a low to mid priced amp or whatever their budget dictates...

If you are going to change just the amp, you have to be very careful since factory speakers usually run at very strange impedences...

Bryan
Okay, i heard that it's hard to find replacement speakers, because of the way our doors are cut or something?
I've heard of Polk, but saw that you can't really get them anymore,
What's the next best alternative?
And also, what kind of amp am i looking for? Because the idea is to improve quality and add volume to the inside speakers, and then add a subwoofer to get the base out of the speakers and into just the sub. Is this all possible?
Thanks!

-Rob
Old 08-20-2003, 05:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Let me get 3grand and your car for the weekend and I will improve your sound quility.

Since they make a dash kit for our TLs try to get a nice after market cd player and amp and sub combo. The easiest thing to do would be just get some good 2 way speakers and again a aftermarket CD player.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by dnd2984
Let me get 3grand and your car for the weekend and I will improve your sound quility.

Since they make a dash kit for our TLs try to get a nice after market cd player and amp and sub combo. The easiest thing to do would be just get some good 2 way speakers and again a aftermarket CD player.
I really don't want to change out the headunit though. Couldn't i just add an amp or two. One for the speakers, one for the sub, cut the bass from the speakers and filter it directly to the sub? All while keeping the same headunit?
Is this possible?
Street Effectz are you there?

-Rob
Old 08-21-2003, 01:07 PM
Advanced

the factory unit comes with an equalizer that cuts the sub signal out of the door speakers. so yes, you can get a sub amp and another amp for your door speakers, and you'll get what you're looking for.

as for door speakers, i was lucky enough to score the polks... but i think any quality 5.25" speaker would be a reasonable alternative.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

so, the 2003 TL front speakers are 5.25" speaker, not 6.5" speaker???
Old 08-25-2003, 04:25 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by ttran_sf
so, the 2003 TL front speakers are 5.25" speaker, not 6.5" speaker???
nope, they're 6.5" in all four doors, but the door cutout is small compared to other cars, so that's why it's so hard to find a good 6.5" replacement (hence the polks being the ideal quick fix). to get around the small cutout problem, i was just saying that you can use 5.25" as an alternative. that's all.