TL: DIY: Factory sub with an aftermarket head unit (pictures working)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
DIY: Factory sub with an aftermarket head unit (pictures working)

I know there's already a thread on this but there are tons of comments and wrong information with broken picture links etc SO.. Here is a new one, all together. As stated in other threads, you could find the wires and do all of the soldering behind the dash but I have big hands and removing the panels and getting to the wires is much harder than my way. I recommend this method so you don't chance taking the center console apart and breaking the old and brittle plastic pieces.

So without further ado:

This was very easy and took about an hour from start to finish. This was done on my 2000 Acura TL with factory speakers and an aftermarket head unit.

Grab a "RCA to spade tongue" at Radio Shack or Amazon, I got a 12 feet long cord and was the perfect length. It was $3 and will be the only thing you'll have to buy. You can always cannibalize an old RCA cord at home but I didn't have any long enough.

Take the back seat out and set them aside, there's a couple 10mm screws between the upper and lower pads right where the seatbelt buckles are.

Locate the factory Bose amp behind the seat and remove the two 10mm screws to gain better access.

Notice the black wires with the open ends? That's the cable from Radio Shack. The RCA end is plugged into the back of my head unit to the "R/SW" or subwoofer out signal, pictured below. Your head unit may be labeled something different so just check your manual.

I ran the RCA cable underneath the glove box with a couple strategically placed zip ties and then under the side panels along the passenger side like so. I took this panel off to show you what I mean but you can just shove the wire underneath it with your fingers, super easy.

Now, back at the AMP, splice the black wires to the blue/green and orange/blue. It doesn't matter which combination of colors are connected, they both ohm out the same and sound exactly the same, I tested both combinations with a volt meter. I didn't get a picture of the solder and shrink wrap but just took this picture to be clear and obvious of how to do it. Do it right for the best sound. If you use electrical tape and have a ground loop sound or your car burns to the ground, that's your own fault.

This is where you test your work, as long as the sub is bumping, you're all done. Bolt the AMP back to that metal frame with the two 10mm screws, install the seats the same way you took them out and enjoy!

Last edited by Kris9884; 05-01-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very very helpful!! My sub is actually not working at all now ( with the factory radio) I just bought an aftermarket radio and I'm gonna try and fix it