Digital Media Center (Navi Questions/Advice)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 10:14 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital Media Center (Navi Questions/Advice)

I require some assistance in making my digital media center a reality. I currently own a '02 Acura TL-S w/ Navi and would like to utilize the Navi screen to navigate all my digital media.

I currently have over 20GB of digital music, 1GB of digital pictures, massive amount of digital movies (DiVx), and over 150 XBOX Games. I have looked at various options from DVD players w/ MP3 playback to laptops in an effort to find a single unit that will be the ultimate Digital Media Center (DMC). However, each option I evaluated had limitations. After months of research, I have decided to utilize my XBOX and convert it into a DMC.

The XBOX will be the heart of the DMC which will house all Digital Music (MP3/OGG/OGM/WM****MV/ASF/AC3/etc), Digital Pictures (JPEG/GIF/BMP/Slide Show/etc), Digital Video (MPEG-1/2/VCD/SVCD/DivX/XVID/etc), XBOX games, play lists and auto play lists, play DVDs, and many more features. The Navi screen will be utilize to navigate all media and to view movies, pictures, and play games (not that high of a priority). The HU will be used for sound. And a single remote (Microsoft XBOX Remote) will be used to navigate the options and playback.

I have everything tested and almost ready to do the install. I will be contacting Ron from StreetEffectz to do the final install. But before I can continue I need help with few questions that I have and some advice from some of the experts on this forum.

1.) Navi mod to utilize.
- I have been following quite a few threads on various options available for Navi Mods across few sites (acural-tl.com, acura-cl.com, and acuramdx.org). What I can conclude is that there are 3 options:
a.) RGB1 (Cost, $280 and requires modding the converter)
b.) Sam's Conversion Unit (Cost, unknown)
c.) Ron's Conversion Unit (Cost, unknown)

What is the best solution for the Navi Mod?

2.) Running the sound to the stereo. The options are using an FM Modulator or the BlitzSafe Adaptor. I guess from everything I have read, the best solution would be to utilize the BlitzSafe adaptor, as this will allow me to run the sound directly to the HU.

Is this correct?

3.) XBOX mount location.
I need to find the optimal place to mount the XBOX in the car. I need to take into account daily wear on the xbox from diving and the vibrations picked up from the road while the unit is ON. This is very important since I will have to install a MOD CHIP in the xbox and a 120GB Hard Drive. The MOD CHIP will be soldered so this will not be a problem. The 120GB Hard Drive will be placed securely in the XBOX but I am worried about the Hard Drive head, which will be unlocked while the unit is ON. This could lead to problems

Where, in the car, is the best location to install the xbox?

4.) Extending the reach of the IR signal.
Since the XBOX will be navigated with a remote, what is the best way to extend the reach of the IR port on the XBOX? Should I use an IR Blaster?

If some of you can share with me your opinion on this, I will greatly appreciate your help. Thanks...
Old 04-14-2003, 07:00 PM
Instructor

The XBOX will be the heart of the DMC which will house all Digital Music (MP3/OGG/OGM/WM****MV/ASF/AC3/etc), Digital Pictures (JPEG/GIF/BMP/Slide Show/etc), Digital Video (MPEG-1/2/VCD/SVCD/DivX/XVID/etc)

Hmm....looks like someone just modded their X-Box!
Old 04-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Racer

donda, I have been in the same search as you but I have given up on some thing for the following reasons. The navi screen is nice, but... it isn't sharp enough for pictures or just plain said, "easy viewing". Watching DVDs or TV might be fine, but if you have to read or look at something, its quite a pain.

I used the Pioneer GEX-P7000TV conversion, it was cheap, remote looks very cool (super thin and light), and there was no modifications to the GEX-P7000TV unit. Other than some OSD * on screen display * board you have to make.

Anyway, I borrowed a friend's XBOX for about 2 months, tested the music playability, functions such as shuffle and repeat and also tried using the playlist on the XBOX. I concluded that I didn't want to squint my eyes every time I wanted to change the song. You can BARELY see the text even when I am using Pioneer's GEX to sharpen the screen (+7).

Using your XBOX for your DMC is not convenient and I'm sure if you get through with the install, you'll know what I mean.

*** I changed my mind on my car, I gave my friend's XBOX back and I bought a Sony PS2, much smaller and more cooler. (The games are pretty cool). It fits directly under the passenger's seat, unlike the XBOX.

Oh and for the IR sensor, mine is hooked up the Pioneer GEX-P7000TV unit and its located currently in the air vents. Can't see it but it works like a charm.

In retrospect, I said if I ever want to hook up a laptop, pda, digi camera, or anything else... I would probably buy a 7" LCD and get it on my visor or do some custom work... (which probably isn't going to happen unless I get a crazy tax return).

Basically, it isn't gonna happen for me. I'm pretty satisfied watching news in the morning and night and watching DVDs while I'm waiting on someone in the car. and PS2.

Steve

1 -------Pioneer GEX-P7000TV ------ $220
1 ------- OSD Modifcation Parts ------- $20
4 ------- XO diversity antennaes ------- $20