digital audio equalizer in a TSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
digital audio equalizer in a TSX

I've been looking for someone else who has done this, but to no avail. I have a 2006 TSX and am not satisifed with the stock audio. In my previous car, I had Boston Pro Series components on an Alpine amp (may she ), with a Kenwood Excelon 12" sub. And to top it all off, I had a pioneer EQ (http://www.bargainunlimited.com/servlet/Detail?no=148) which I love!

Now, I don't feel like going crazy and replacing all the stock in the TSX, but I would like to do something to give me more control over the sound. So, I'm thinking about installing my EQ into the storage bin under the radio since I still have it lying around in my closet. I would keep the stok HU and hook the EQ to the stock amp (I assuming it's a seperate piece. As I write this, I realized I've never checked).

My questions are: Has anyone done this? Did it make a positive difference in sound quality? Do you have pics of the install? And, is this even possible without using an aftermarket amp?

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no need for eq if you use the stock head/amp/speakers or even if you upgrade to the avincar speakers. if you want more control just over the bass level, you will be better served with a sub amp, sub in the trunk and a remote bass knob. jps
Old 09-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Instructor

I'm not looking for more control over only the bass levels. I'm looking to refine the midrange and highs as well, hence why I wnat to install a 15-band EQ. The 2 bands on the HU aren't doing it for me. I know the EQ won't give me more bass or make the speakers sound like my Boston's, but I'm hoping it can help improve/refine the stock system enough that I can live with it.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:02 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by derbaff
I've been looking for someone else who has done this, but to no avail.
Hm.

I have a 2006 TSX and am not satisifed with the stock audio.
None of us were.

And to top it all off, I had a pioneer EQ
Well, no, not really - probably the worst sound in the system.

Now, I don't feel like going crazy and replacing all the stock in the TSX,
Yeah, thanks for insulting all of us who actually HAVE improved the sound.

but I would like to do something to give me more control over the sound.
See, you don't get how EQs work.

Having more control of the signal going into an 18wpc amp and crappy speakers does NOT give you more control over the sound. Influence, perhaps we should call it.

What gives control of sound first and foremost is the ability of the speaker to track the input signal. First, you need speakers that don't suck, and if that's not enough, you need an amplifier that provides an powerful enough signal to overcome the momentum of the speaker cones.

It's like getting different sway bars and keeping stock tires. The ability to corner is still limited by your tire traction.

So, I'm thinking about installing my EQ into the storage bin under the radio since I still have it lying around in my closet. I would keep the stok HU and hook the EQ to the stock amp (I assuming it's a seperate piece. As I write this, I realized I've never checked).
There's a great thread on the system architecture linked in the TSX sticky thread.

I wrote it

My questions are: Has anyone done this?
Never heard of anyone doing this spectacularly bad idea.

Did it make a positive difference in sound quality?
I'd bet not.

And, is this even possible without using an aftermarket amp?
It's possible but not likely, and certainly runs a high risk of noise.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Instructor

I'm sorry you think this is such a bad idea, that's really all you needed to say, or nothing at all.

I DO understand how an EQ works, and I DO understand that upgrading the speakers and amps would render the best results. But unfortunatly I DON'T have the resources to devote to a full upgrade right now. I am NOT trying to insult everyone who has upgraded their audio. I actually enjoy doing installations, and have done so in all my previous cars plus many of my friends. But right now I have other priorities for my money and time. I was just kicking this idea around since I already own the EQ and decided to try to find out if anyone else had down anything similar. If no one has, then that's fine, I'll just have to decide for myself what I want to do. I may just end up living with the stock for a while.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Instructor

three choices: 1) live with stock, 2) make up with elduderino, spend a little money, and get his avincar tsx specific speakers, or 3) spend lots of money on amps, speakers and whatever your heart desires. your choice, jps

p.s., if your heart is set on an eq (why I don't know, since it is essentially a band aid for bad drivers, and location, that ususally just really screws up your sound), ditch the pioneer and get something along the lines of an old school phoenix gold or an audiocontrol
Old 09-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
eldude don't post much anymore. But when he does.....
Old 09-05-2006, 04:10 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
When we ask for free advice, it don't always look how we'd like it to look...
Old 09-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Instructor

I didn't even ask for advice. I asked if anyone else had put an EQ in their TSX and if it made a difference.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Hmm, it does look like a neat EQ, but Eldude is right -- you can't fix a crappy speaker with an EQ. I'm sure it would sound "better" to be able to remove some of the boominess, but you just won't get the clarity that you'll find with better speakers.

To save money, I'd just do the front speakers first, when you save up some dough, figure out what else to do.

(For some reason, I keep thinking of old sayings like..."You can't make a silk purse out of of a sow's ear." )
Old 09-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Advanced

Talking Audio Control EQ

I will soon let you know what improvements are made by adding a Audio Control in-dash EQ to my factory HU. I do have Diamond Audio 6.5 Components and Diamond 6 x 9 in the rear hooked up to a Alpine 5 ch amp. 1-12 JL Wv2v2 Sub.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by indytsx1
I will soon let you know what improvements are made by adding a Audio Control in-dash EQ to my factory HU. I do have Diamond Audio 6.5 Components and Diamond 6 x 9 in the rear hooked up to a Alpine 5 ch amp. 1-12 JL Wv2v2 Sub.
Sweet. Although it won't be the same since you already have a better speakers and a an amp. I am curious to see how it looks though.

I will no doubt be replacing speakers eventually. One month w/ the car and I'm already disatisfied. Unfortunatly it's going to take a lot of convincing myself to splurge on audio, since I did just buy a car and all.