Detailed Video on Navi Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailed Video on Navi Instructions

I've done seaches on this topic, but haven't been able to find DETAILED instructions on exactly how to wire this. Can someone please clarify? I sure would appreciate it.

Far as I can tell, you need a Pioneer RGB-1, solder some wires to the RGB output on the board, run that to a remote switch of some kind, and then tap the wires coming out of the navi dvd-rom.

Can anyone put this in lamens terms for me?
Old 11-03-2001, 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Anyone? Please!
Old 11-04-2001, 12:38 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no navi so I didn't save SteveStMS's post. According to him, he removed the instruction due to the kit no longer available. Tried to do a search in TL forum with keywords "navi" "video" "dvd" ... there are several thread that could lead to completion of the whole process. I hope you could put the pieces together. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2001, 03:22 PM
5th Gear

I was Acura3200 on this board, but lost my ID or password or something happened to it, so I'm Homer now...

Anyway, here ya go!

Originally posted by SteveStMS
Basic Video On My Navi decoder instructions:

Materials required:

(1) Pioneer AVC-RGB1 video decoder - Available from sources on the Internet or from Pioneer Electronics dealer for $100 - $150.

(1) 4PDT switch - A electronics store "Active Electronics" stocks these, Radio Shack does NOT. Or the switch I use can be ordered on the internet as part #8405 http://www.web-tronics.com/webtronic...ches-4pdt.html

Note: Instead of using a 4PDT switch, you can use a Radio Shack 4PDT 12volt DC relay ~$7. It wires up pretty much the same as the switch, but requires you know a little about how relays work. Also get the matching relay socket ~$2 for easy soldering of connections.

(3) 18" of 4-conductor shielded wire that can reach between the navi display unit and location of your 4PDT switch. I like to use wire with a green, white, red and black conductor(s). The color wires will match up to the Honda wire colors (except for the black that is used for the yellow wire).

(1) package 16 pcs. of Radio Shack small telephone butt-splice connectors.

misc. Solder and shrink tube or electrical tape

Instructions:

Solder each of the 4 conductors from each wire to your 4PDT switch. This is a total of 12 wires to be soldered. Match all wire colors to the 3 switch posts. A large shrink wrap tube around the switch and posts makes it safe and professional install. Also wrap all the wire shields together (NOT connected to the switch).

Once you purchase the Pioneer AVC-RGB1 you will need to make the following modifications:

1. Open the decoder up by removing the 5 screws.

2. Pull up the power wires and disconnect the plug from the circuit board.

3. Remove the printed circuit board by bending the two metal tabs straight and removing a screw.

4. Once the circuit board is out you need to locate the DSEN test pad on the back of the board. Use a small piece of wire and jumper the DSEN pad to a GND location on the back of the board or bring out this wire to mount to parking brake switch. Note: The DSEN signal is "Display Enable" and it tells the AVC-RGB1 circuit that there is a display connected. It must be shorted to ground to enable video.

5. With the circuit board removed located the hole next to the rectangular opening where the green connector goes. Bend the tab out of this opening and feed one of 4 conduct wire through the opening.

6. With the board still out locate the 4 bare exposed wire jumpers on top of the circuit board next to the green connector. With the connector facing you these jumpers left to right are Red signal, Green signal, Blue signal and composite sync. Use the wire you put into the box and Solder from right to left (because it's easier) the green, black, red and white wire to these jumpers (rememer these colors are from right to left!). Take the shield from the wire and solder it to the diode solder joint (GND) on top of the green connector.

7. Put the circuit board back in the box and plug the power cable back in.

8. Now intercept the video signal to the navi display unit with the 4PDT switch. The wires from the center poles on 4PDT switch need to be connected to the display units input. The other sets of 4 wires each go to the wire harness from the navi computer and the decoder box. Matching wire colors to the navi plugs wires.

9. Connect the decoder power wires for up to the navi display unit OR car stereo power leads. If hooking up to the navi display unit 20 pin connector make the following power connections.

Orange = Pin 1 (constant power)
Blue = Pin 2 (accessory power)
Black = Pin 10 (ground)
Yellow = No connection (Illumination)

10. Cut 1 to 2 inches back from 20 pin connector on the navi display the white, red, green and yellow wires. The white wire is the (R) signal on pin 8, red wire (G) signal on pin 9 and yellow wire the (B) signal on pin 18. The green wire is the (Sync)signal on pin 19.

11. Using butt splices match each of the 4 wires to the 20 pin navi plug (white, red, black for yellow and green). Crimp these connections. Do the same for the 4 wires in the wire harness. The signal flow and connections will route like this:

Navi computer -> Wire Harness -> 4PDT switch
Display <- 20 pin connector <- 4PDT switch (center contacts on switch)
Pioneer AVC-RGB1 decoder -> 4PDT switch

12. Plug in your composite video source and test, put the dash back together and enjoy the show!

This is about all the instructions needed. Hope this helps a few of you. And of course no warranty is implied or intended with these instructions. Your pretty much on your own if you mess it up.

Best of luck,
Steve
Old 11-14-2001, 03:23 PM
5th Gear

Here's where I got that.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=25782
Old 11-15-2001, 08:14 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ATTENTION EVERYBODY

do not follow the TL instructions........you HAVE to rip apart your entire center console to do it there way!!!!!!!!

this saturday, i'm installing the conversion on quicksilvers car, and i'm going to make easier instructions!!!!!!!!

so just wait till this weekend for me to get it all ready!!!!!!!!!!