MISC: Dash cam criteria

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 11:05 PM
dgy
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dash cam criteria

A friend has asked me to design a dashcam for his vehicles (something much less noticeable and more capable).

Nearest I can see, you'd want to watch ahead and behind the vehicle while driving. There's some debate as to whether or not looking off to the sides is also of value (given that folks get T-boned).

While parked (in an unsecured location), you'd likely want to look around all sides (e.g., for vandalism).

Also, you'd likely want better coverage when parked as there are places where a vandal could hide in blind spots and not be caught on camera (a car approaching from ANY direction will clearly be visible, even if the last 2 feet of its approach aren't completely covered!).

Frame rate while parked can likely be reduced (or optionally?) as you aren't looking for big moves in short times. Or, do motion detection in the cameras and switch to a faster frame rate when it appears justified.

With multiple cameras, you wouldn't want a display per camera as they would be tedious to manage. And, you wouldn't want a memory card per camera as that's similarly tedious (and wasteful).

WiFi/BT link to a phone to use as a display/control device seems logical. That means the driver/operator doesn't need physical access to the camera module to use or control it.

Which means the cameras can be located in less accessible places!

Finally, it seems like you wouldn't want to advertise the fact that you have cameras in place (e.g., in a traffic accident where you might be at fault, you wouldn't want a cop or the other party to gain access to your "evidence"). This might include adding provisions to wipe the memory cards if you lose possession of the vehicle (?) Or, store the imagery in a manner that makes it appear corrupted/nonexistent.

Anything else?
Old 03-22-2022, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,747 Likes on 6,748 Posts
https://shop.blackvue.com/product/dr900x-2ch-plus/

Make a carbon copy of this
Old 03-23-2022, 04:15 PM
dgy
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
I don't see how that even begins to address the list I posted. (you are free to dispute my criteria -- but then must defend your opinion).

That seems like an expensive duplication of existing mechanisms. Why add a cell modem to a dashcam -- that ONLY the dashcam can use (lets forget the cell modem that's already in the vehicle as accessig it is problematic)? To add side-looking cameras, I'd have to add a second of these units? And, a second cell modem for that pair? Likewise for the GPS -- most cars already have them (but you need to add one to the dashcam for its exclusive use?), as do phones. It also seems like it expects the cameras (front and back) to be located in the cab and (likely) affixed to glass (look at where your backup cameras are!)

Off-the-shelf products target The Masses. Purchasing those items leaves you compromising your needs with those of everyone else who might want said device.

Think, instead, about what you would want, not what you are willing to "settle" for.

Last edited by dgy; 03-23-2022 at 04:17 PM.