D.I.Y. Retain your navi prompts w/ aftermarket headunit

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this "piece" smACURA claims he created really exist? And did if it does, did it last longer than a few days? After his apparent install, he stopped replying about it after two weeks. Anyone have any follow-up on this? I'd really rather not splicing into so many wires, and I know nothing on that whole transistor/audio source switcher thing.

I can pay attention then follow and replicate examples, but this seems too technical for a novice to complete with satisfactory results. If anyone has given it a go, holla @ ya boi!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by smACURAssCLS
Let me figure what the cost is on the parts and i might make a few for sale on the forum. I'll post later when not at work.
Have you come up with anything yet?? For a reasonable price, I am sure these things would sell...keyword reasonable!
Old 09-05-2009, 06:36 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great info to everyone on this thread thanks! Just picked up my "new" 03 CL-S and dismantled my Kenwood DDX-812 from the Accord. Was pretty happy the CL uses the same harness. Now I just have to get this "additional" wiring sorted out and I'll be ready to go once I get my install (trim) kit!

I am also interested in the harness smACURA... Thanks

Last things I'm trying to sort out with the navi are:

1.) best interface unit to add auxillarty inputs to my navi screen (for a backup camera/dvd playback, car pc, etc...)

2.) Any navi hacks for the 01-03 navi unit? I have v. 2.5 I think.. Everything I see is for the newer TL's... I'd love to get rid of the nag ("OK") screen and possible change the startup bitmap at a minimum if anyone has figured this out. Thanks all!
Old 09-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ThaTRUF
Does this "piece" smACURA claims he created really exist? And did if it does, did it last longer than a few days? After his apparent install, he stopped replying about it after two weeks. Anyone have any follow-up on this? I'd really rather not splicing into so many wires, and I know nothing on that whole transistor/audio source switcher thing.

I can pay attention then follow and replicate examples, but this seems too technical for a novice to complete with satisfactory results. If anyone has given it a go, holla @ ya boi!
I am going to give it a go ThaTRUF. Not this weekend, possibly next... will keep this thread posted or start another.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by khoifl
I just found out that the OEM navi output is actually pre-amp. In addition, the mute wire is (+) output, and my Pioneer mute is (-) trigger. So, be careful
Hello all... I just installed my Kenwood DDX-812 double DIN touchscreen unit into my '03 CLS... The unit support interruption by the second AV input. I'm not dumb when it comes to electronics, bit I've reread this thread several times and must be missing something...

I've tapped the positive wires from a set of male RCA cables into the white/black navigation signal harness at the radio, then I've tapped the ground (shields) to the black ground wire at the harness. Instead of feeding the AV source switcher mentioned in this thread, I plug the new cables into my second AV input on my headunit. When I switch my headunit source to AV2, I am still unable to pick up the navigation voice.

Any help/info would be appreciated... The best I can assume is that I'm tapping the signal at the wrong place, or I need a small amp to boost the signal? Thanks in advance! :-)
Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 AM
6th Gear

hi can i do the same installation on a 2000 tl with navi from acura??????
I can do the same

I can do the same

I can do the same
Old 05-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did finish a working part but was stuck with some engine noise produced by the electronics installed. I simplified and went almost complete aftermarket. You need a crapload of parts to get this done right. I can try to put an outline together but I have been so absorbed with other projects and cars that I havnt touched my Acura in like a year. No need to. If you have any questions I will try to answer them.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by smACURAssCLS
I did finish a working part but was stuck with some engine noise produced by the electronics installed. I simplified and went almost complete aftermarket. You need a crapload of parts to get this done right. I can try to put an outline together but I have been so absorbed with other projects and cars that I havnt touched my Acura in like a year. No need to. If you have any questions I will try to answer them.
Expect to hear from me real soon...
Old 07-01-2011, 04:30 PM
2nd Gear

I put in a custom Deck with the help of GIG Harbour Auto works he put together a harness that just plugged into the of the deck and the existing Bose wiring. I works great - email him for nformation unclad@gigharborautoworks.com or vist his web site www.gigharborautoworks.com Great guy easy deal with.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cdafrank
I put in a custom Deck with the help of GIG Harbour Auto works he put together a harness that just plugged into the of the deck and the existing Bose wiring. I works great - email him for nformation unclad@gigharborautoworks.com or vist his web site www.gigharborautoworks.com Great guy easy deal with.
Thanks for the info cdafrank... Just wanted to verify the wiring he did allows the stock voice navigation prompts to come through your speakers, or some auxiliary speaker? I need to get back to my stereo after I redo the suspension and rebuild the trans... which I keep putting off.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:29 AM
2nd Gear

Just curious my friend has a water damaged car no audio but nav. Good no voice

WHAT CONTROLS THE RADIO OR NAV. OVERRIDE THE SYSTEM DOESNT SEEM TO RECONIZE THE SYSTEM (SOURCE) radio cd etc? the source unit has power but doesnt light up or work so cant even get the chick to talk to me thanks

Originally Posted by Superb
Some pics of my finished install with DOM's tvandnav2go. I have a JVC KD-AVX1. It has video outs which I connected to the nav screen.

Also, this list comes up on the navi screen for mp3/wma cd's also plays mp3/wma dvd's (gotta love that!)

If you find or know of better ways to do this, please post suggestions. I am in no way a professional, just a guy that dabbles and knows enough to get in trouble.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:31 AM
2nd Gear

I am extremely knowledgable of all electronics audio video security I can create very unique things including installing detachable face plates in sun visors etc. and tricks witht he factory remotes or aftermarket ones love to share the knowledge
Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the write up
Old 10-15-2017, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

Are the Transistors NPN , PNP Nfet, PFET etc?