Custom mp3 player/media PC

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 11:15 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom mp3 player/media PC

Hey guys,

I will be getting a TSX toward the end of the summer, and want to get a few things prepared before it comes in. One thing I would love to have is some sort of hard drive-based mp3 player on which I could easily store and access my entire music collection within my car. I have seen a few custom mods on this site and a few external sites, and am extremely impressed by the media PCs that have been integrated into the Nav system. I would like to do something similar, rather than buying a premade system (such as the Dension DMP3-A). However, before I do, I have a few questions. (I have read through many previous posts, and didn't see any of these answered specifically, so I do apologize if any are old questions.)

1. How exactly does the startup/power down work with these custom made, Windows based media PCs? Do you have to turn on the computer when you enter the vehicle, and then wait for it to power off when you exit (like any normal PC), or can it be set to start up when the power is turned on in the car?

2. How much power will a small VIA EPIA mini-itx PC use? Is this something that affects battery life, or is it comprable to a CD changer in the trunk.

3. Has anyone successfully wired the steering wheel stereo buttons to control the playback from an external source (without affecting the pre-wired functions)?

4. What is the resolution on the screen that comes with the Nav system?

I really want to make my own mp3 player; however, if the work is just too much or if what I want isn't possible, I would rather buy an off-the-shelf solution (which seem to work well with the TSX).

Thanks in advance for any information you may have.