Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 10:14 AM
who's right, who's wrong?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy CRAP that's a lot of wires.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Wow, there's like a 100 wires bundled in there.

Good luck man. I barely have enough patience to untangle Xmas lights, going through that is going to be fun.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm back, biatch.

Originally Posted by flopez82
the plugs should not be a problem because they came with the screen

all i gotta do i sfind out what each wire is for

check it out
All of the wires are color coded. Look in the service manual to see what signal each wire carries.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Finally out of Kentucky

uh, good luck with that harness. You might just be better off buying a reel of some 0.35, 0.85, and 1.25 AVSSH wire to redo the wiring, considering you'll have to route the wires through the I/P and into the engine room for some and through the I/P, up the A-Pillar and to the headliner and through the I/P, along the floor, and into the trunk. Good Luck though, it can be done, just with some one with more patience than me.

Poindexter's Wiring Harness Tip:

Buy some foam tape (19mm wide), vinyl tape (0.09 mm x 19 mm), and maybe some corrugated or vinyl tubing (say 10 mm in diameter). the I/P is a very tight area and using a combination of the 3 things above will help you control some of the rattles since you'll basically be making your own. . . Non-Nav to Nav Conversion Harness. Oh yeah, try to find some clips to attach the harness to the body holes., this will make your layout easier, with less wire harness to component contact.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:16 AM
2004 TSX

Originally Posted by tsass
, that you should look into the AMP automotive division because you could buy the connectors and pin to make any missing wiring very cheep.
Which is actually Tyco now...

click this link for Tyco
Old 12-01-2004, 11:48 AM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

Holy stolen Navi, Batman. :captainobvious:
Old 12-01-2004, 11:58 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, doesn't that stereo have a code? You have it?

No wrecking yard is going to sell it that way unless they are very shot-in-the-head...
Old 12-01-2004, 12:34 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

Very good point about the security code. Do you have that Flopez?
Old 12-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
If it came from a salvage yard, they might just cut the cables like that.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes it did come from a salvage yard guys

they sent me all the paper work so that i can go to acura and get the code
Old 12-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Finally out of Kentucky

Dude, I can't wait.

If I was you I'd just hook up the power and hook my computer up to it or something. Yeah, you should use that temporarity as you computer monitor. Looks way cooler than that huge Samsung Flat panel you got there.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:56 PM
Racer

hey no making fun of my monitor LOL
Old 12-01-2004, 03:19 PM
VP Electricity

Why can't you get the DVD Nav unit from the same yard?
Old 12-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by elduderino
Why can't you get the DVD Nav unit from the same yard?
Maybe the car was rear-ended?

Nothing is impossible, but it can get damned expensive. Good luck flopez!
Old 12-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Race Director

:wtf: , thats nuts!
Old 12-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Race Director

For a second i thought this was my old thread about my dell computer, i think it had the same exact title...
Old 12-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Racer

i did get the dvd uni from the yard

it should be here a couple days lol
Old 12-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Finally out of Kentucky

hey no making fun of my monitor LOL
Haaaaiiii Yaa! Not making fun, I have that same 17" version. I just thought it would be super cool to run your computer of the Navi screen while it's just sitting there. It would make me laugh at first then my engineer side would kick in and say. . . "Whao"

Oh yeah, does there happen to be a product number label still on the harness? If there is I may be able to get you some critical information.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Racer

i just finished ordering the service and the wiring manual from helms so that i can start marking up all these wires.

I hope that these manuals are good cause i spent 130 bucks on them

unfortunatly there is no numbers in the little piece of harness i got sitting there

if im not mistaken the stock # from acura is 32117-SEC-A30

ir #3 in this breakdown

http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnysi...All&vinsrch=no

keep me updated thanks

btw my monitor is 17" too i want to trade it in for the 21" that would be bad ass
i could play counter strike and need for speed dope as hell
Old 12-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm pretty sure the wiring for the Navi and the Non-navi is different. I had my non-Navi unit out and I also have the manual. Most of the HVAC control cables are different plus there is an entire wiring bundle that the Navi has but the Non-navi doesn't. Good luck though.
Once you get the wiring manual, let us know how good it is. I was seriously considering asking for it for x-mas.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by teg_to_TSX
You have the support of A-TSX's EEs! Good Luck!

hit us up with any questions...

maybe we should have a techincal forum where EE's and ME's can provide answers and advice...it is always nice to get some expert opinions....

we can call it the Engineering Dept Forum....
Old 12-02-2004, 11:59 AM
VP Electricity

Then I (or some other person with scars on their hands) can come in and explain how sh!t really works in the car : ) (sorry - engineers sometimes think they have all the answers...: )

We could call that the Technical Support forum.

The manuals are fine, they have all the data you need for wiring if you spend time examining them. The biggest problem you seem to have solved, which is getting the rear Nav piece.

Now I think that the Nav system is on the CAN bus, so you gotta hope that the CAN traffic for NAV and non-NAV is the same... I think that the Nav gets the VSS off of the CAN bus, for example. I am certain that the Nav can eavesdrop correctly, I just hope your CAN bus doesn't freak when it sees another node...
Old 12-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Racer

i

i really hope that when i add all the wires i dont get flames bursting everywhere lol

that would be me lol

im planning on using these connectors so that i dont have to cut into the factory harness case i mess up somewhere lol

this will give me the ability to test and make sure everything works lol

if not i can still the project and ill be ok lol
Old 12-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Engineer

Then I (or some other person with scars on their hands) can come in and explain how sh!t really works in the car : ) (sorry - engineers sometimes think they have all the answers...: )

We could call that the Technical Support forum.
i got plenty of scars...yeah i shouldnt have said just engineers, because i know some engineers that dont even know how to use a soldering iron, there are plenty of other hobbiests, techs and mechanics who are a lot more helpful...i apologize if i sounded cocky thats one of the negative engineering traits i am tryin to avoid...

yeah a techinical support forum would be a better name and a good idea...a good go to place for solutions...
Old 12-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by savage
i got plenty of scars...yeah i shouldnt have said just engineers, because i know some engineers that dont even know how to use a soldering iron, there are plenty of other hobbiests, techs and mechanics who are a lot more helpful...i apologize if i sounded cocky thats one of the negative engineering traits i am tryin to avoid...

yeah a techinical support forum would be a better name and a good idea...a good go to place for solutions...
Showin' a lot of class there for being "Savage"......I think that's cool man.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:32 PM
VP Electricity

S'ok, I'm always joking with my EE friends about that topic, no harm meant.

I used to work at a place where the VP engineering started to test auto-security impact sensors by screwing them to a wooden table and smacking the table.

When I inquired if anyone had ever put a sensor in a car to determine if the mechanical resonance signature of the car was anything like a wooden table - was the Fs similar? Was the "Q" similar? Was the decay rate similar? - I got a blank look. But the test moved to cars...: )

The same guy told me that the screws that came with aftermarket door lock motors could never strip out the holes in the motor casing. We were in a meeting with the Taiwanese suppliers of door lock motors, and I had inquired about machine screws and nuts in case the holes stripped out, and this guy told me in front of them that these would enver be needed, because the screws would never strip out.

So I picked up the makita on the table and held the motor in my hand and screwed the screw in until it stripped (hurt like a MOTHER, btw, but I held on to it...). We got the machine screws.

My only point is that engineering teaches you how to predict what ought to happen. The mdel that is used is sometimes accurate, and sometimes accurate enough - but the model should never be confused with the territory, and predictions should never be confused with reality.

Engineers often have a personal emotional predilection to avoid making a mistake. This is a great trait in an engineer. However, it also means that engineers can become more attached to their predictions than to reality, and defend the predictions in their model when the real goal is supposed to be to effect the solution out in the real world. When you are less concerned about whether or not your model is right and more concerned with how well you approximated reality in the first place, you can be a truly effective engineer.

(Of course, every EE I've ever met says that they know EXACTLY the engineers I'm talking about. Kind of like all of us being above-average drivers...: )

I'm El Duderino, and I approved this message.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Hey Flo-pez, did you say you still need the Navi DVD or do you think it's going to come inside the DVD rom drive?
Old 12-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Engineer

S'ok, I'm always joking with my EE friends about that topic, no harm meant.

I used to work at a place where the VP engineering started to test auto-security impact sensors by screwing them to a wooden table and smacking the table.

When I inquired if anyone had ever put a sensor in a car to determine if the mechanical resonance signature of the car was anything like a wooden table - was the Fs similar? Was the "Q" similar? Was the decay rate similar? - I got a blank look. But the test moved to cars...: )

The same guy told me that the screws that came with aftermarket door lock motors could never strip out the holes in the motor casing. We were in a meeting with the Taiwanese suppliers of door lock motors, and I had inquired about machine screws and nuts in case the holes stripped out, and this guy told me in front of them that these would enver be needed, because the screws would never strip out.

So I picked up the makita on the table and held the motor in my hand and screwed the screw in until it stripped (hurt like a MOTHER, btw, but I held on to it...). We got the machine screws.

My only point is that engineering teaches you how to predict what ought to happen. The mdel that is used is sometimes accurate, and sometimes accurate enough - but the model should never be confused with the territory, and predictions should never be confused with reality.

Engineers often have a personal emotional predilection to avoid making a mistake. This is a great trait in an engineer. However, it also means that engineers can become more attached to their predictions than to reality, and defend the predictions in their model when the real goal is supposed to be to effect the solution out in the real world. When you are less concerned about whether or not your model is right and more concerned with how well you approximated reality in the first place, you can be a truly effective engineer.

(Of course, every EE I've ever met says that they know EXACTLY the engineers I'm talking about. Kind of like all of us being above-average drivers...: )

I'm El Duderino, and I approved this message.
you all seem very respectful and that is how i should speak to you all...after all this is a TSX forum...

elduderino, i agree with and i respect your points, that is truely what i feel it takes to become a effective engineer in the real world...

my father is a man without even a highschool diploma and the top engineers in his company come to him with questions on why something they designed does not work in the real world. As you said in theory it might seem perfect but there are so many factors that must be considered and it is important as a engineer to understand that and adapt as needed. I even ask him for advice before i do some designs because he has over 50 years of techincal experiance i could only hope to have a fraction of.

I also respect anyone else who has a similar back ground and take their advice in hand. Thanks again for a respectful response...btw i liked your breakdown of the OEM amplifier in the TSX...great job
Old 12-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Advanced

hey guys check out what i picked up

yes its for my non-navi tsx woohhoo

see that's exactly what i'm looking for... except i was thinking of using it just as a touch screen (the factory look is what i'm going for) but hook it up to a computer... something like this

http://www.drivesoft.net/

If anyone sees another one of these at a junkyard... please pm me
Old 12-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by jonas
see that's exactly what i'm looking for... except i was thinking of using it just as a touch screen (the factory look is what i'm going for) but hook it up to a computer... something like this

http://www.drivesoft.net/

If anyone sees another one of these at a junkyard... please pm me
Look on Ebay. I've see them there from time to time.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Racer

hey guys check out what arrived today!!!

a little disapointed to see that the pc card is missing i what they with it

means i get to spend more $$ lol

any how as you guys can see the cables are also cut some even more work for me

another thing i must do is open up the dvd drive and the center screen up and dust everything out on the inside as well as outside

just waiting on the manuals to come in so i can start getting to work

hopefully sometime this week they will come in

Old 12-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I don't think the PC card comes with it anyway. Not 100%, so maybe someone with Navi can comment on this.

The big thing is to see if the Nav DVD is in there, if it's not maybe someone with a dual layer burner and the nav dvd will let you have a copy for testing. I would myself if I had Navi.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:43 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
When I got my 04 Navi, it didn't have anything in the PC Card area. I think this is a possible add-on or dealer only troubleshooting area.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Racer

so its not supposed to be anything in there???

can anyone confirm that for me plzzzzz

that would
Old 12-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
so its not supposed to be anything in there???

can anyone confirm that for me plzzzzz

that would

Doesn't come with one. It's for the people with the white coats to troubleshoot.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Racer

omg awsome
Old 12-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Racer

can anyone out there get me a copy of the navi disc????

would help me out alot

thanks
Old 12-07-2004, 12:31 AM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

I dont have navi, so cant help you out.

I think you should post a daily/weekly update on your progress. what all are you doing before you start trying to install? I want navi too..
Old 12-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Racer

can anyone tell me wtf this means???

its out of the electrical manual

the harness process has begun but damn is this shit tuff lol

im going with all these diagrams ahhhh

Old 12-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Eld...BM....Electro...where u at?!

Quick Reply: Check out my new toy!! :)