TL: Cassette deck seems to have crapped out, best option is an AUX input?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cassette deck seems to have crapped out, best option is an AUX input?

Been using my iPod through the cassette deck in my '99 TL for about 6 years now, and so far I've had to replace the adapter 3 times over the years, not a big deal. But now, even with a brand new adapter, the cassette deck just keeps flipping between sides and finally ejects the cassette adapter.

I don't have a CD changer in my car, just the stock CD player/cassette/radio deck. Would something like this BlitzSafe adapter work fine in my car: http://blitzsafe.com/catalog/honda/h...1/prod_65.html

The description says to select the external CD changer option from the radio, but I don't know if my unit even has that option that I know of. I'm looking for a fairly cheap fix, since I'm planning on upgrading to a newer car within the next year, but trying to avoid the AM/FM tuner option if at all possible.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:38 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a blitzsafe adapter in my '03 TL for an AUX input for my Sirius radio and my iPod and never had any problems with it. Worked great and sound quality was great. There was no "external CD changer option" so to speak- I just hit the "CD" button twice to change to the blitzsafe AUX input.
The following users liked this post:
PlatinumTL (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by foofightertim
I used a blitzsafe adapter in my '03 TL for an AUX input for my Sirius radio and my iPod and never had any problems with it. Worked great and sound quality was great. There was no "external CD changer option" so to speak- I just hit the "CD" button twice to change to the blitzsafe AUX input.

Thanks, is this something you installed yourself?
Old 08-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Cruisin'

Mines been doing the same thing! I think I'm gonna upgrade though and get a double din. Im tired of the stupid wires
Old 08-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Cruisin'

If you're opposed to the idea of changing out the radio i'd personally go with a wired FM modulator.
It basically t's into the antenna line, and you hooked up switched ignition and ground to it and you run an rca to aux cable from it to your location where you can control the ipod/iphone/mp3 player etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/METRA-44-FMMOD02...item20bbb5d0e5
The metra piece is one that i use at work a lot for customers as well as the ISIMPLE IS77
http://cgi.ebay.com/iSimple-iS77-FM-...item53e7e91142

The IS77 is nice because you have the option of having an actual cord that will also plug charge your ipod at the same time as it is playing.
Both pretty reasonably priced on ebay.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
fm transmitter. a bit pricey for the kit (50 bucks) and reviews say audio is sub par but i imagine it cant be much worse than the cassette adapter.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I am reading, the Blitzsafe's only support older IPhones and IPod Touches. I just got a 4th generation Touch that I want to use. What is the best option?

Prefer to stick with factory HU for now, everything works except the 6 disk changer in the trunk, but I almost never listen to CD's anymore.

I've seen people talk about the ICE-LINK's, but can't find any decent info on it, and is it compatible with the latest iDevices?

Thanks,

BTC
2000 Acura TL3.2
Old 09-17-2011, 07:03 AM
6th Gear

Best Aux inputs for the $

Originally Posted by zerepdivad
If you're opposed to the idea of changing out the radio i'd personally go with a wired FM modulator.
It basically t's into the antenna line, and you hooked up switched ignition and ground to it and you run an rca to aux cable from it to your location where you can control the ipod/iphone/mp3 player etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/METRA-44-FMMOD02...item20bbb5d0e5
The metra piece is one that i use at work a lot for customers as well as the ISIMPLE IS77
http://cgi.ebay.com/iSimple-iS77-FM-...item53e7e91142

The IS77 is nice because you have the option of having an actual cord that will also plug charge your ipod at the same time as it is playing.
Both pretty reasonably priced on ebay.
I installed the iSimple unit in my 2000 TL-P, and it's really pretty good - better than the cassette interface. I spliced-in both the iPod cable and the standard 3.5mm plug. Drilled the switch and 3.5 plug holes right next to the seat heater switches. Power tapped from the line into the aux power socket. All the wiring was done through the space made after removing the right side console trim. About 3 hours for a hack like me. $45 on eBay.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:36 AM
10th Gear

Just in time. I'm having the same issues with mine. I'll be going this route too. I love that everyone works together on issues. This is the best forum ever.