Car Audio Whine???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:56 AM
cLs - 6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Audio Whine???

Just wondering if there is a certain area to go for Audio talk?? If soo.. just move it to the correct place..

Anyways.. I have a problem with my system. I have an Alpine 9828?? Boston acoustic components all around, 1 JL W3 Slotted Box, 1 400/1 JL Amp, and 1 300/4 Amp.. Im running it with Rocket Fostgate wiring. Everything is hooked up correctly but its making this stupid "whining noise".

As of right now.. I have the Power wire going through the driver side. The RCA's are running throught the passenger side.. 2 amps are in the back with the sub and the ground is bare metal... I used a grounding spot on the back of the back seats. Is that good enough?? i actually tried a couple other places and its the same.. not sure where the ground is for the HU is tho.. soo i'll check that..

I use to have the same set up in my old 00 SI and it never made the noise...
What could be the problem???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Your fellow CL Member

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the help on the other forum guys!!!

I will check every little thing this weekend..
Old 04-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Let's try and isolate the problem....Try and disconnecting the RCAs from the amps (power off, of course) and then turning the system on and engine running, headlights on and a/c running....do you hear noise? You need to recheck or move the ground wires to a different location (make sure the ground wire is the same gauge as your power wire and keep your ground runs short as possible. No Noise? Then your amps are not the source of the noise. Need to test the RCAs back to the head unit. Reconnect the RCAs back to the amps and disconnect the RCAs from your head unit. Turn your system back on, engine running, a/c and lights. Noise? Then your RCAs might be the culprit. Make sure that the RCAs are not running on or near the car's wiring harness or purchase RCAs w/better shielding. You can try installing a inline noise surpressor (a work around and not really fixing the problem). No noise? Then the noise might be coming from the head unit. Check your ground. If you connected your head unit's ground to the stock head unit's wiring harness ground, you might pickup noise. Move the ground to a different location.

Other things to check: alternator(bad diodes), battery(weak or shorted), battery ground connections (Corroded). Are you running a separate EQ component? EQs are notorious for picking up noise. That's all I can think of.....anybody else w/ other ideas pls chime in......
Old 04-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Lives On BOOST

Originally Posted by 2K1CLtypeS
Let's try and isolate the problem....Try and disconnecting the RCAs from the amps (power off, of course) and then turning the system on and engine running, headlights on and a/c running....do you hear noise? You need to recheck or move the ground wires to a different location (make sure the ground wire is the same gauge as your power wire and keep your ground runs short as possible. No Noise? Then your amps are not the source of the noise. Need to test the RCAs back to the head unit. Reconnect the RCAs back to the amps and disconnect the RCAs from your head unit. Turn your system back on, engine running, a/c and lights. Noise? Then your RCAs might be the culprit. Make sure that the RCAs are not running on or near the car's wiring harness or purchase RCAs w/better shielding. You can try installing a inline noise surpressor (a work around and not really fixing the problem). No noise? Then the noise might be coming from the head unit. Check your ground. If you connected your head unit's ground to the stock head unit's wiring harness ground, you might pickup noise. Move the ground to a different location.

Other things to check: alternator(bad diodes), battery(weak or shorted), battery ground connections (Corroded). Are you running a separate EQ component? EQs are notorious for picking up noise. That's all I can think of.....anybody else w/ other ideas pls chime in......
agreed, I had the same problem on my old integ
Old 04-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i tried to hook up a system in my tl type s also everything is ran right had three shops do it and it still whines.. have u tried to open ur door while it whines because when i had my door open it would stop but when its closed and im driving it whines again.. please let me know if u guys find out cause i want a system in my car
Old 04-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 08 wdp type s
i tried to hook up a system in my tl type s also everything is ran right had three shops do it and it still whines.. have u tried to open ur door while it whines because when i had my door open it would stop but when its closed and im driving it whines again.. please let me know if u guys find out cause i want a system in my car
Do the test that I wrote earlier. Otherwise it will be difficult to isolate. You need to start somewhere and this is a good test to start with.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:33 PM
3rd Gear

You can find a groud loop isolator at eithe Wal-Mart or Radio Shack. As stated, it's a Band-Aid, but helps in trouble shooting process. You can always take it back to either retailer.