Car audio shops in the Northern Virginia area, some install questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car audio shops in the Northern Virginia area, some install questions

Anyone know of any good car audio shops in the Northern Virginia area. I want to go sometime this week to pick up some supplies for my amp and sub install.

Also I want to add a switch so I can turn the amp on and off whenever. Would I have a wire coming from the battery to the switch and then to the amp or would the power wire go straight to the amp. If the latter part is right, where would the switch fit in or would the switch hook up to the remote power on part for the amp.

To get the signal from the 6X9's can i just tap into the + wires that are hooked up to the 6x9's or should I get the signal from the head unit. Thanks for any help

I am in the process of getting the JL 250/1 amp and the JL 10w3 v2 is on order.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:37 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
1) If your amp is playing ONLY bass, you are probably OK with tapping the 6x9 speaker wires with an LOC. I'm not a fan of doing it this way, but if that's all you're adding, it's probably the best way. Use a quality LOC like an AudioLink.

2) Personally, I would connect the remote turn-on lead of the JL Audio amp to the RTO lead at the factory amp (referred to in several threads). If you want to put in a switch (not sure why) then put in in line on that wire. Otherwise, you need to switch 12V Switched ACC to that RTO input (so the amp doesn't stay on and toast your battery).

3) The power wire for your amp still has to go straight from the battery - but don't put the switch in line on that wire. Read the manual for your amp when it comes.