can't find crossovers, what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:09 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can't find crossovers, what should i do?

so i've searched all over the place online.. and my garage...

i have infinity reference 6020cs... i originally had them running just off my stock amp; and they worked pretty good... but now i want to really drive em; since i have a 5 channel alpine amp laying around from my old civic...

when i first installed them i didn't use the crossovers since the stock amp already separated it... and now i can't find them!

my question: anyone know where i can get some spare crossovers? or should i just tie in the tweeters with the front speakers?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you have a few options, i'll list them in the order i'd do it...

1. Go active - If you have a headunit, find out if it can do it. If not that, check your alpine amp, and see if it has a good enough crossover, if not buy an active 2 way crossover. Unless you had plans for the other 2 channels on the amp....but since you have 4 channels on the amp, might as well use them all....

2. search ebay. might be able to find some one that isn't using the crossovers from your component set for whatever reason

3. build your own passive crossovers. Might be more work, but at least you'd be able to set your crossover points. I'd put this at 2, but definitely requires some more technical skills.

4. use a crossovers from a different set of components. I wouldn't really recommend this, but w/ the right reserach you'd probably be able to find a pretty close set, and at least not blow the tweets. I'm sure there are passive crossovers all over ebay for various component sets.

not sure what you meant by tie in the tweets w/ the front speakers, but playing tweets below 2k hz or so isn't really a good way to keep them working for more than a couple seconds.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/new-crossovers-707054/#post10621761
Old 03-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can make your own if you are somewhat electrically inclined. only problem might be locating acoustically pleasing materials for the caps and inductors.

or you could simply run full range and tie the tweets in parallel with the drivers but put a non polar "bass blocker" capacitor on the positive terminal. be sure to set your amps x-over to hi pass (if its like 80hz and up and you have a sub) or full pass if you have no subwoofer. keep in mind it would prolly induce a 2 ohm load per channel which im pretty sure that amp can handle but you just might want to read the manual first to make sure (dont know how old the amp is etc).

or what you could do is set up the tweets on their own channels and amplify the drivers on the other 2 channels and disconnect the rears. it would help you front stage a lot and you wouldnt have to "build" a x-over network at all, you can set it up at the amp. personally, this is prolly a last resort but its still an option.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
4 options:

1. Active front stage - theoretically the best sounding, and definitely the most controable. This however, requires either 1. a HU capable of active processing or 2. and external active xover.

2. Use your amp to set xover points. This requires that your amp has both a LP and HP on each channel (or at least 2 of them). This might be your best option, but it's only possible if your amp has the right xover setup.

3. Go buy a passive xover from a speaker set with a similar xover point as the reference set you have. Attach run 1 channel of your amp to each xover, using your amp to set the hp filter. then run the woofer wires to your woofers. for your tweets, run them on separate channels from your amp. use the hp filter on those 2 channels. This way works, and I'm doing this for my rear fill right now. Now, I'm only doing this with my midbass (no tweets in the back) so that changes things a little, but if you're not powering your rear speakers, you're fine...

4. Keep searching for the correct xover online...
Old 03-12-2009, 12:05 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im not sure who said it.. but one of you guys did.

i never ever really use fading (from front to rear) so i could just have all 4 speakers mounted on two channels of my amp.. then let my tweeters have the other 2 channels..
and adjust the crossover on the amp up...

i'll snap some pics and post em up tonight..