TSX: Can you really only play music downloaded on Itunes?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:16 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you really only play music downloaded on Itunes?!?!

Ok, reading through the owner's manual, and it's saying that only songs in "AAC" format, downloaded via Itunes, can be played, either through the Ipod or a flash drive.

You have GOT to be kidding me????!!!!!!

Tell me that Acura is not participating in facism, not allowing us to listen to our own music in the car we purchased.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
You didn't specify what interface you are using - but I'm inferring it is the "USB" jack. Only digital data can be sent over a USB connection. So this means that the data could be AAC, MP3, FLAC, or one of many other digital music formats. The TSX audio system would have to convert this digital data to audio. I assume the manual is saying that the audio system only knows how to covert AAC (aka M4A) into audio.

I use an Isimple/Periperhal interface to play music off my Ipod (my car is an 05 non-navi TSX with no USB jack). I believe this interface is delivering (analog) audio to the TSX audio system. The Ipod interface connector has USB and analog audio on it. Therefore any audio the Ipod can play can be played in the TSX audio system. I use MP3 almost exclusively.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darowa
You didn't specify what interface you are using - but I'm inferring it is the "USB" jack. Only digital data can be sent over a USB connection. So this means that the data could be AAC, MP3, FLAC, or one of many other digital music formats. The TSX audio system would have to convert this digital data to audio. I assume the manual is saying that the audio system only knows how to covert AAC (aka M4A) into audio.

I use an Isimple/Periperhal interface to play music off my Ipod (my car is an 05 non-navi TSX with no USB jack). I believe this interface is delivering (analog) audio to the TSX audio system. The Ipod interface connector has USB and analog audio on it. Therefore any audio the Ipod can play can be played in the TSX audio system. I use MP3 almost exclusively.

I've never heard of an "Isimple/Periperhal interface"......

Is that something I'll have to buy?

Yes, I am referring to the USB jack, and was deciding whether to use a flash drive, or an IPOD, to play our music collection.

Now reading the car's manual, it seems that they are imposing a setup to where the ONLY music that can be played (unless you wanna use a CD of course, but that kinda sucks) is music that you purchase and download from Itunes.

This seems pretty outrageous.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Prior to 2007 or 2008 (?) there was no USB interface into the TSX audio system provided by Acura. The Isimple interface is an after-market interface that adds an Ipod interface to the TSX audio system. It costs about $150. Anything an Ipod can play can be heard on the TSX audio system using the Isimple interface. A company called Peripheral Electronics actually makes the Isimple interface.

Itunes software can download from the Itunes store music that is in the M4A (AAC) format - Apple also calls this music "Itunes Plus" - earlier there was an M4P "protected" format that was used and required by the recording companies. Itunes can also rip CDs into several formats including M4A and MP3 - neither of which have copy protection.

My point was that a USB connection can only carry digital data to the TSX audio system. And the digital data can take several formats. I would guess that the TSX audio system could decode MP3 data because it is so common. An Ipod is *required* to playback those tracks that are in the M4P "protected" format. I know of no other device that is capable of unlocking the M4P format - I believe Apple never licensed any other manufacturer to decode the M4P format. AAC (also called M4A "Itunes Plus") has no copy protection and many device manufacturers (including the TSX audio system with a USB jack) could decode - but I don't know for sure since I don't own a TSX with a USB jack from Acura.

My best guess is that a USB flash stick with MP3 will play. A USB stick with M4A (AAC) will probably play.

Last edited by darowa; 09-07-2009 at 06:44 PM.