can someone tell me the difference Enclosed or 'regular' setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can someone tell me the difference Enclosed or 'regular' setup

Not too up on the differences in sound. But can someone tell me the difference between:

trying to explain this as best as I can:

enclosed in a box with like plexiglass

or the faces of the subs are visible and can be touched, open faced or whatever.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Racer

I wont get into the technical stuff, but having the subs inside the box with plexi in the front would be a bandpass box and having them on the box where you can touch the front of the subs would be a sealed box or a ported box.
I got the info below from Crutchfield

Sealed boxes: For deep, precise bass
A sealed box is an airtight enclosure housing your subwoofer. A sealed box is best for any music that demands tight, accurate bass. Expect flat response (not excessively boomy), deep bass extension, and excellent power handling. Since a sealed enclosure tends to require more power than a ported box, use an amplifier with ample wattage for optimum performance

Ported boxes: For forceful bass
Ported boxes use a vent (called a port) to reinforce low bass response. You get more output than you would from a sealed box at any given amplifier wattage. Some people prefer the sound of ported boxes for rock, heavy metal, or any hard-driving music. Ported boxes can deliver deeper bass than sealed boxes, though they need to be much larger than sealed enclosures to accomplish that.

Bandpass boxes: Maximum slam!
Bandpass boxes are a special type of ported box designed for maximum slam. The woofer is mounted inside a dual-chambered box (one chamber sealed, the other ported), with the sound waves emerging from the ported side. The sound that comes out of the port is extra loud within a narrow frequency range.

Because bandpass boxes are super efficient within that range, they tend to boom. Their aggressive sound is great for rap, reggae, and hard rock. Not all subwoofers work well in bandpass boxes, though; consult our product information or call a Product Advisor to be sure.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:54 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

Jay,

Thanks a bunch...excellent info there!!!!!!!!