Buzzing from Tweeters and solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buzzing from Tweeters and solutions?

I'm getting some buzzing from my tweeters every now and then when the right note/tone is in a song. My question is will a new set of tweeters fix the problem, or is it the fact that the crossover funtion built into the OEM amp just that crappy?

I'm willing to buy a nice set of tweeters or even a component set, but I'm a newb so I'm not sure what to do to fix the problem.

Thanks again in advance!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:17 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
My suspicion is that the OE xover is a series cap - first order. I don't think the OE amp has a set of OP channels for the tweets.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:30 PM
VP Electricity

WHOOPS... I suspect the tweets are blown. No reason to think it won't happen again if it was caused by leaning on the system hard... I suspect the 6x9's trying to play bass and running out of power/clipping causes distortion to go to the tweeters...
Old 10-20-2004, 06:49 PM
2004 TSX

I've noticed this occasionally on mine, but I think it's a FM radio/antenna issue, not a tweeter issue..

Is it only when listening to the radio and not CD?
Old 10-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by elduderino
WHOOPS... I suspect the tweets are blown. No reason to think it won't happen again if it was caused by leaning on the system hard... I suspect the 6x9's trying to play bass and running out of power/clipping causes distortion to go to the tweeters...
So if the tweeters are blown then I should be able to hear music out of them, but only certain tones will make them buzz?? If that's the case will the new component system work...or will this just happen again?

Thanks elduderino!
Old 10-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by musicbox
I've noticed this occasionally on mine, but I think it's a FM radio/antenna issue, not a tweeter issue..

Is it only when listening to the radio and not CD?
NAh, I get it from my XM Commander, my MP3 player and the CD player....no dice...
Old 10-20-2004, 09:49 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
So if the tweeters are blown then I should be able to hear music out of them, but only certain tones will make them buzz?? If that's the case will the new component system work...or will this just happen again?
"Blown"s a relative term... it's certainly within my experience that "blown" tweets buzz at certain notes.

On the other hand, this was a failure mode of palidanx' aftermarket amp... but in retail, we would ahve checked the tweeter first.

I would connect a cheap speaker like a 3.5 and see if it buzzes at the same times... that would tell you if it's the amp or the tweet.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

"Blown"s a relative term... it's certainly within my experience that "blown" tweets buzz at certain notes.

On the other hand, this was a failure mode of palidanx' aftermarket amp... but in retail, we would ahve checked the tweeter first.

I would connect a cheap speaker like a 3.5 and see if it buzzes at the same times... that would tell you if it's the amp or the tweet.
I don't have any extra speakers lying around and I would hate to spend money just to troubleshoot a problem...

Has anyone else had this issue....I've seen threads, but no solutions...help
Old 10-21-2004, 06:13 PM
VP Electricity

Typically if they're factory they'll replace the tweets, and if that doesn't work THEN they'll replace the amp.

Often you can get a cheap "takeout" speaker from a cool stereo install department for free...
Old 10-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Typically if they're factory they'll replace the tweets, and if that doesn't work THEN they'll replace the amp.

Often you can get a cheap "takeout" speaker from a cool stereo install department for free...
Thanks..didn't know that about the "takeout" speaker. As for replacing the speakers and maybe amp...will they try to blame it on my XM install with the adapter and the line driver?
Old 10-21-2004, 06:26 PM
VP Electricity

It's always possible, because warranty work pays 75% of customer pay, so they have a built-in incentive to blame you.

I would discuss this before the appointment. Explain that you know adding XM Radio doesn't hurt the tweeters, but you think they've gone out. Swapping the tweeters takes like 5 seconds (unwrapping them takes longer) so they may be willing to do so... but talking first is important. If the service dept doesn't know the XM is there, they may try to stick you later. If possible, find out if there is a service writer at your dealership who knows audio pretty well.

But remember, adding aftermarket equipment does NOT void your warranty, and if someone acts like it does, be prepared to walk. Also be prepared to call Acura... because calling Acura gets you a phone call from the service manager faster than anything. These guy's bonuses usually depend on NO customer complaints to Acura...
Old 10-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

It's always possible, because warranty work pays 75% of customer pay, so they have a built-in incentive to blame you.

I would discuss this before the appointment. Explain that you know adding XM Radio doesn't hurt the tweeters, but you think they've gone out. Swapping the tweeters takes like 5 seconds (unwrapping them takes longer) so they may be willing to do so... but talking first is important. If the service dept doesn't know the XM is there, they may try to stick you later. If possible, find out if there is a service writer at your dealership who knows audio pretty well.

But remember, adding aftermarket equipment does NOT void your warranty, and if someone acts like it does, be prepared to walk. Also be prepared to call Acura... because calling Acura gets you a phone call from the service manager faster than anything. These guy's bonuses usually depend on NO customer complaints to Acura...
Huh.....all great knowledge there elduderino...I'll give a call tommorrow
Thanks again!
Old 10-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread discusses the speaker buzzing.

Check it out!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13973
Old 10-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Master in Science

Dealer is likely to be an a$$. I recommend you remove your stuff before taking the car in. Only after they fix the OEM tweeters would I consider getting a component set.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:34 PM
The extra b is for byobb

I got fed up with the tweeters so I just disconnected them. It sounded so good after that so I never got around to replacing them. It takes about 30 seconds to disconnect (just carefully pry open the plastic speaker cover with a small screwdriver)--give it a try.