CL: Brian's Nightshade Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
wow i gotta say these batts are beasts i hooked in one and the dimming is gone. I'm sure I would be fine with only 1 but hell im gonna do another
Old 12-03-2009, 06:43 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
I might be interested in having him doing the deck.
I'm into doing engine work right now. I'm sure I'll be back into the bump some time soon.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well I got a update i let the magic smoke out of my 2000d was drilling then cut her down pulled in to my budds drive way and heard psssstttttt sounded like i blew a tire. Got out checked them and na. Then looked at the amp shes was startin to pour out smoke. So yea blew her right up.

But luckily I have a 2 year free replacement and I will have a new one tomorrow afternoon woot woot.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
If it blew due to voltage drops, they won't replace it.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
See why you don't run C&D's? I'd assume the amp was wired at 1 ohm? You get the volt gauge wired up before it blew? If so, what was the voltage at the time? Also, how's your amp mounted? No vibrations, I hope...
Old 12-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

They will replace it no matter what I do cuz I've got the hook up like that no lie. Well i imagine voltage is doin fine as no more dimmin lights at all, why wouldnt u run c&d's ? i dont understand . i have not gotten the gauge yet as it's comin from hong kong. It could be vibration I just mounted it to the front of the box today to get it out of the way for a bit lolz that may have had a lil somethin to do with it. But no matter I'll have a nice shiny new one tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Drifting

Yeah, I wouldn't mount the amp to the box anymore... Build a rack for it. That's what I'm gonna do with my 1500D whenever I get around to it. The Acura's getting parked here in a couple days, so it won't much matter.

I wouldn't run C&D's because they're not designed for the fast discharge/recharge that's needed in Car Audio. XS Power, on the other hand, is designed exactly for that. Plus, the 3 year warranty that comes with XS is tops in the industry. They know how hard us car audio guys pound on our batteries, and they still warranty them. Scottie J (North American Rep) had a Super Street Astro van a couple years ago, so he knows what's up... Plus, the D3100 is probably the best daily batt out there right now. Given the CS9000 is a better burp batt, but I dunno if I'd trust it daily...
Old 12-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Even though they are not designed for it many many ppl still use them with no problem. My dimming has completely gone with 1 batt so 2 should do the icing. I imagine it was all about the mounting. Problem with amp rack is I have no room to build one
Old 12-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Drifting

I don't care if other people use them, I'm just saying, you'll never catch me using one. And I will never suggest them either. I'll only suggest products that I would use in my car, and when it comes to batteries, there will only be 1 brand going in my Acura, and that brand is XS.

I can imagine there's no room in there with a box that's 4.6 cubes net. That's a monster for our trunks... Time to get creative... The problem with mounting it in the trunk is that you still have sound pressure in there. That's one reason I love my forward firing and sealed setup, I don't have any pressure in the trunk. Got any pics of your trunk? Maybe I can help you out with some ideas...
Old 12-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

I gotcha well I little to none in these and seems like am gonna make decent money sellin them. Also they will work fine for my car for now. Here is a nice shot of the new amp just got delivered to my house today can't beat that next day replacement. Also some shots of the new work benches me and my dad built will come in handy working in the garage and storage. Now I have 3 8' by 2' benches in there.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

WEll I just scored a tc9 motor and a 18" basket. Im gonna do a sick custom 18 either team psi soft parts or sundown ones. Im sure ill sell it but would make a killer set up for the wifes(to bad she doesnt want a system )
Old 12-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well got bored today while charging the batts here is another shot of the trunk.

Not much room lol. Now I am either going to trade some of my batts for 3 L7 10's and put them in the trunk and be able to switch systems out when I feel the need. Or I have access to another NS 18" for the cheap. Then thought of trading both for 2 NS 15's. Or fiberglass my whole trunk and do 2 18's. We shall see which I go with
Old 12-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Drifting

Brian, have you tried rotating the box at all? To get the port to fire different directions? Just a thought...
Old 12-10-2009, 12:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

I gotcha na I havent tried that. It's not that im not happy with the set up. It's just I've got a killer deal on the new subs. And it's spiked my interest
Old 12-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Drifting

I'm just thinking with the way the rear deck is, this whole thing could be acting like some type of bandpass. And I'm wondering if the port loading off of a different wall of the trunk would have any kind of effect on the sound...
Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Eh yea maybe. The beast is slammin for sure. It's just I want to try different things since I have access to them. I have to many batteries and ppl are wanting to trade me subs so might go for it
Old 12-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
word of advice...

the port opening should always be on the same plane as the face of the driver....

-Jason
Old 12-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Drifting

Why's that biggs? Just curious, seeing as I know of plenty of setups that don't have that type of orientation, but yet are still doing very impressive numbers in the competition lanes...
Old 12-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
word of advice...

the port opening should always be on the same plane as the face of the driver....

-Jason
Wouldn't that depend on the car?

I've noticed in hatches, and suv's that sub forward, port up was the loudest.

i honestly think this build is shitty
I would've went with 2 better 12's on the same power.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by mattastick
Why's that biggs? Just curious, seeing as I know of plenty of setups that don't have that type of orientation, but yet are still doing very impressive numbers in the competition lanes...
please look at all professional spl vehicles...

because the port is supposed to re-enforce what the front of the driver already puts out...now there r indeed some rules to this...if the port is to far away from the driver...you have just inserted a delay from the ported wave and the front wave fo the speaker itself...

remember that all sound reguardless of frequencey travel at the same rate...the only thing that can change that would be enviromental values...

the goal is to get the wave forms generated by the port and the driver itself to align itself at the same time... hard to do when they're milliseconds off...or a variable degree of phase....

-Jason
Old 12-18-2009, 03:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

u think it's shitty huh im not arguing as u have a right to ur opinion but is not your car its mine i wanted a 18 and now i want 2. put your 2 12's against mine lets see who comes out on top my friend. ivae had 12's and u cant compair them to a 18. and guy about port same side as drivers please research yes it would be best if i could have done both back but this thing is slammin with sub up port back
Old 12-18-2009, 03:24 AM
Drifting

For a daily setup, i think it's shitty. nightshades sound like poop imo

the e8's were more impressive.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by on1wheel01
u think it's shitty huh im not arguing as u have a right to ur opinion but is not your car its mine i wanted a 18 and now i want 2. put your 2 12's against mine lets see who comes out on top my friend. ivae had 12's and u cant compair them to a 18. and guy about port same side as drivers please research yes it would be best if i could have done both back but this thing is slammin with sub up port back
all i was sayin is that you can do better with the port in the proper orientation.

I built a 12 Bravox EDX Enclosure...with 2k strapped to each coil...bet it would easily smoke your single 18....

153.9 at the dash in a tahoe...lol

a vehicle twice the size of you had but it was louder with a smaller speaker....aint that a bitch...

-Jason
Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
Wouldn't that depend on the car?

I've noticed in hatches, and suv's that sub forward, port up was the loudest.

i honestly think this build is shitty
I would've went with 2 better 12's on the same power.

Well your entitled to your opinion. But I'll put my set up against urz any day. I had thought about 12's but I wanted a 18 and im gonna do another 18 here soon. Show me 2 12's that will out do these 2 18's and for the love of god please dont post up those crap subs you recomend to ppl. And I'm not arguing just sayin. And to get better your gonna have to go way way up there these are the top of line ns 3k rms versions.
And yea I would have loved to do sub/port back but in my trunk I cannot due to it being to small. So yea advise all you want this shyt still pounds.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

In your opinion ns sounds bad but hey man what u know i think they sound amazing and many many others do also. 153.9 in a tahoe yes a suv duhhh they are easier to make loud no seats no deck and so on robbing sound. I could wall this car and destroy the tahoe but i have a kid and that cannot happen. So haters if all you have to do is critisize get the hell outta my thread. Oh yea and u had twice the power moron wow. This stuff makes me wish we had audio sections for each model of our cars so we dont have to deal with the ppl that think they know it all. Plain and simple my set up is loud for daily thats what I wanted. I wanted a 18 also thats what i got. If you dont like it dont look and dont post mind your own shyt. Thanks and have a good one.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:17 AM
Drifting

please look at all professional spl vehicles...

because the port is supposed to re-enforce what the front of the driver already puts out...now there r indeed some rules to this...if the port is to far away from the driver...you have just inserted a delay from the ported wave and the front wave fo the speaker itself...

remember that all sound reguardless of frequencey travel at the same rate...the only thing that can change that would be enviromental values...

the goal is to get the wave forms generated by the port and the driver itself to align itself at the same time... hard to do when they're milliseconds off...or a variable degree of phase....

-Jason
This is completely car dependent... Look at CRX's. Subs up port back or subs forward port back have been the loudest setups I've seen in crx's (and I've seen a couple that are pretty loud, including Team Neo - Eric's). Same thing with Rob Heeter's HHR in SS NW. 2 18" MT's subs up port back was the way he got the loudest. He tried tubes to he could do subs forward port back, but it didn't get as loud as the box with subs up port back.

all i was sayin is that you can do better with the port in the proper orientation.

I built a 12 Bravox EDX Enclosure...with 2k strapped to each coil...bet it would easily smoke your single 18....

153.9 at the dash in a tahoe...lol

a vehicle twice the size of you had but it was louder with a smaller speaker....aint that a bitch...

-Jason
Wow, someone else who's heard of Bravox. I'm running EXS6's for mids, and I wish the EDX came in a 10... I'd definitely consider them, if I could afford them. Instead I'm going to be looking at custom subs.

Regardless, you had double the power, plenty of space to work with for your enclosure, and you didn't say if it was a wall or not. A wall (assuming you could get the airspace down, since Bravox only suggests something like 1.5-2 cubes, depending on which coils you get) could very easily be louder. I watched a SS 1-2 wall with 2 different subs and 2 SS XXX-4000's do a 156.1 this past weekend. Not too shabby for a guy who's only starting his second season competing, with his first wall build.

Oh, and you never PM'ed me to explain yourself for calling me a hick...
Old 12-18-2009, 05:35 AM
Pro

In your opinion ns sounds bad but hey man what u know i think they sound amazing and many many others do also. 153.9 in a tahoe yes a suv duhhh they are easier to make loud no seats no deck and so on robbing sound. I could wall this car and destroy the tahoe but i have a kid and that cannot happen. So haters if all you have to do is critisize get the hell outta my thread. Oh yea and u had twice the power moron wow. This stuff makes me wish we had audio sections for each model of our cars so we dont have to deal with the ppl that think they know it all. Plain and simple my set up is loud for daily thats what I wanted. I wanted a 18 also thats what i got. If you dont like it dont look and dont post mind your own shyt. Thanks and have a good one.

wow...you don't have to get all angry my friend...

and to attribute to your lack of knowledge...twice the power doesn't always mean it's going to be louder...in fact to be twice as loud...you need ten times the power...

-Biggs
Old 12-18-2009, 05:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by mattastick
oh, and you never PM'ed me to explain yourself for calling me a hick...
because you never sent it...i just got it at 0326....at the time you wrote this post...it 0317...sooo yeah...how am supposed to respond if you never sent it...

no comment on that one...

-Biggs
Old 12-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok so I have less knowledge than others wow so what? Audio is my 2nd hobby riding and working on motorcycles is my 1st. Im newish to big time audio. And you can say what u want if i had 2 amps i would be louder doesnt always mean so but in most cases it does. If u want to talk about other things besides my build start a new thread guys dont clutter up mine shits gettin old.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on1wheel01 this is a warning to tone it down.

If I hear one more "i'll put my car against yours" I'm going to lose my mind.

Don't take things so personal it's the FREAKIN internet. Now relax and have a civil discussion.

Mattastick and Biggs.. Did we not already have a discussion? And you are going to continue to make this public? I'm seriously on my last nerve. Take it to PM and have a little e-fight in there. Otherwise, man up, shut up and get over it. Stop acting like girls.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

oh w/e fine i gotcha
Old 12-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Drifting

Well your entitled to your opinion. But I'll put my set up against urz any day. I had thought about 12's but I wanted a 18 and im gonna do another 18 here soon. Show me 2 12's that will out do these 2 18's and for the love of god please dont post up those crap subs you recomend to ppl. And I'm not arguing just sayin. And to get better your gonna have to go way way up there these are the top of line ns 3k rms versions.
And yea I would have loved to do sub/port back but in my trunk I cannot due to it being to small. So yea advise all you want this shyt still pounds.
alrite dude you got it

btw, nightshades are far from top of the line.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Pro

i offer you constructive criticism...and you get offended...

sheez...
Old 12-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i read a few posts, and C&D batts are great. i had two of em off a mechman 250a in my expedition and they powered 2 2200d's strapped and had great voltages
Old 12-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well shot a few more i forgot to turn the amp up but of well really crappy vids dont know why my phone was actin up but eh. Im thinkin bout maybe tryin to trade my 18" for something smaller. Maybe 2 12's or 3 10's Only because I want to make my trunk all predy like and still be loud. And yea the c&d's are great for cheap batts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlVij1v5PA4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqdr2wZHFW4
Old 12-28-2009, 02:47 PM
2000 WDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice flexin, i like the car duster hair trick lol
Old 12-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,962 Likes on 14,481 Posts
That is a lot of bass...
Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
You need some sound proofing bad
Old 12-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Drifting

Vids look good Brian. You should take one of DJ Billy E's Beats for my Van. It's nice and constant at 32hz, and absolutely destroys my sunroof... I get more flex than in your first vid. It should show off your 18 quite well. Just watch your voltage. That song is the hardest on my voltage of any that I've played.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

I do have deadner broskie. 2 layers in the entire car and 4 cans of foam in my trunk. The rattling you hear is actually my spoiler and the leds in it. They have broken off the board and are popping around like pop corn in the lens. Gonna take it off and try to find a solution. yea Matt I love that song. I am actually thinking of building another box just for the heck of it and seeing what it does.

Quick Reply: CL: Brian's Nightshade Build