breaking in a new sub?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
breaking in a new sub?

well i just got my basslink installed and my friend tells me that i have to "break" in the sub, something about having the "spider go away from the coil", he basically said to just not blast it for the first 20 hours of usage, anyone have a problem with blowin their sub like this?
Old 11-19-2002, 10:13 AM
Instructor

I don't own and have never used Baselink, but usually driver break-in is good. From the factory, the speaker's suspension is tight, which raises the resonant frequency and therefore keeps the sub from playing as deep as it should. After playing for a while (breaking in), everything loosens up a bit, and the driver hits lower. The -3dB frequency of subwoofer response is very closely related to resonant freq. of the driver, so you want that shit as low as possible.

I've never heard anything about being nice to a subwoofer (ever). When I'm breaking in a speaker, I put it on the bench and drive it to Xmax w/ a 10 Hz sine wave for a few hours. Never had a problem w/ the spider separating. Just make sure whatever is driving it isn't clipping, cause that's a different story.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

ahh okay, thanks, so then i don't really have a change of "blowing" this by maxing it out
Old 11-20-2002, 07:14 PM
audio sq guru

Every speaker has a certain "break in". Mids and tweets are supposed to usually have pink noise for a certain period. Subwoofers are different, and especially wich sub they are. It depends how severe they test them when the make them. For example Digital Designs is handmade and goes through a 3 hour testing area. Just to be safe, dont go blowing any blocks up for about a week. D
Old 11-20-2002, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by xX24Xx
Every speaker has a certain "break in". Mids and tweets are supposed to usually have pink noise for a certain period. Subwoofers are different, and especially wich sub they are. It depends how severe they test them when the make them. For example Digital Designs is handmade and goes through a 3 hour testing area. Just to be safe, dont go blowing any blocks up for about a week. D
haha alright thanks