Bout to install a whole new stereo....

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 02:04 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking Bout to install a whole new stereo....

Ok, I could not take the stock stereo any longer. Granted, it is an ok system for stock, but I dont like stock!!!

Over the past few weeks, I have purchased all of my system, from various locations looking for the best price/service/not referbished stuff.

I ended up saving nearly $1500 over "in store" prices.

Headunit - Alpine CDA-7995
Mains - 2 pair of Focal 165V components - the slim series, to save a headache or two from the shallow mounting depth that we have (the midbass is about 2.5 inches deep)
Subs - 2 JL Audio 12W3 V2
Amps - Kicker KX800.4 - a true 100/4 for the mains!!!
Kicker KX600.1 - bridged to 2 Ohms for the subs
All Stinger wires - 4 guage amp kit, 16 guage speaker wire, 12 guage for the subs, 17 ft Bullet series innerconnects, 1F Cap

I have been reading on here for countless weeks for all the hints and pictures to help me along. I could get it installed at Audio Midwest in Midwest City, Ok for about 300 bucks + the sub box. The plus of this is the owner has a 3003 TL type S so they have taken this car apart before - unlike most other shops and he said I could help in the back. The only problem, is I really dont want to wait till i get back - Jan 7th or so!!! So I am a little impatient!

I have installed car stereo equipment before so I think I am going to take a few days and get after it. I will also build the box myself. I plan on using slot ports and have the subs and the ports firing directly toward the cab - not toward the back of the car. This way I can open the part to the trunk and see the ports right there and I can avoid excess trunk rattling. I will use the specs from JL to make the box correctly. I plan to mount the amps and crossovers and cap on a board on the back of the box...this is still in the design stages.

Hopefully I can do all of this myself and only pay for a custom face plate for my cd player from the shop when I get back. I will keep you all posted and post pictures when I start...probably tomorrow. Any extra advice would be apprecated!!!!

Thomas
Old 12-25-2003, 06:13 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i live about 10 min from that place, they seem to do really good work, propz on the new system