Biggest Bang for the Buck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000, 10:23 AM

Question Biggest Bang for the Buck?

Yesterday I went to the local electronics store (SoundTrack) to get advice on improving the stock system in my 2001 TL. All of these guys (except one) were a bunch of morons. It must really be hard to find good people these days - but that's an entirely different subject.

I was told that the easist, best, and least costly way to improve the sound was to replace the stock amp and sub. I was also told that I couldn't replace any of the 4 door speakers unless I replaced the head unit due the low 1 ohm impedance. Is this true? I've read post from people recommending the best way to improve the sound is to replace all 4 door speakers. I need some PROFESSIONAL advice. Anyone?

Also, has anyone in the Denver, CO area had their system upgraded and would you suggest a good, knowledgable shop? Your comments are very much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2000, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk to StreetEffectz. BTW Street, wheres that website at??

What sound are you trying to improve? Overall or just bass? Overall you need a new HU and new door speakers. Otherwise through a sub and amp in the trunk and call it good.

------------------
Alumapro BP-10, ZX400 Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), burlwood dash kit and shift knob, factory spoiler.
------------------
Old 11-01-2000, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well this link might help you.
I wanted to see if my old stuff I took out of my Accord trunk would work in the TL.
This was a Alpine Amp & a Bazooka non powered sub four yr old stuff.
I have heard you can do things but BOSE says you can't.The sound of the stock system is fine for me so I did not do anything.
Here is a link to BOSE that when you go to click the automobile part & on the side they have the Frequntly Ask Question section read that to help you out.But by all means get the exsperts here to help you too.This stuff from BOSE I have heard from other people so read it & ask to because I also heard that they make an adapter for add on stuff who knows.Here is the link ask.bose.com Click the automobile part & model of car then to your right they have the part for FAQ click that.
Old 11-01-2000, 03:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

biggest bang for the buck is a new amp powering a sub. to change to door speakers, you need to get an amp, run new wireing, and obviously the speakers. supposedly, with a new HU youll see a big improvement, but its expensive.
Old 11-01-2000, 05:25 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Pull the Goalie:
Yesterday I went to the local electronics store (SoundTrack) to get advice on improving the stock system in my 2001 TL. All of these guys (except one) were a bunch of morons. It must really be hard to find good people these days - but that's an entirely different subject.

I was told that the easist, best, and least costly way to improve the sound was to replace the stock amp and sub. I was also told that I couldn't replace any of the 4 door speakers unless I replaced the head unit due the low 1 ohm impedance. Is this true? I've read post from people recommending the best way to improve the sound is to replace all 4 door speakers. I need some PROFESSIONAL advice. Anyone?

Also, has anyone in the Denver, CO area had their system upgraded and would you suggest a good, knowledgable shop? Your comments are very much appreciated. Thanks!
Hey dude your in luck i have already identified the wires and location of the factory sub amp. I was able to temporarly hook up an aftermarket amp using the remote turn on lead and preamp signals that run the factory sub amp.
the good news is that we both live in colorado and i could help you build a system in your TL. I was seriously thinking about replacing the stock sub with a 4th order band pass and port it through where the factory sub is. I even have the specs printed out from my subwoofer enclosure program. the box is almost exactly 1 cu foot using a RF XLC 10" sub frequency responce is from 28.5 HZ to 87.8 HZ. I would love to build one for you if you are willing to be the gunni pig. I have decided to leave my system stock at least for a while because i am really enjoying not having to worry about theft when i leave my car unattended.
FYI I used to install for the Denver Bronco's during my 12 year's worth of installing experience back in 92. i used to show and compeate at the local stereo shows. i also have several connections with the local stereo shops around the springs area with owners and managers that will give me discounts on equipment because now i do installs for a hobby.
send me an email if your interested in some help. maby you could leave your number and i could call you and we could discuss your options. email me at
kacampbell@uswest.net

Kevin

------------------
formerly 98 prelude type SH

Currently 2001 Acura 3.2 TL Blabk/Ebony With Navigationblack/ebony
Old 11-01-2000, 05:32 PM
Racer

Cool

I go with at least a amp and sub upgrade depending on the sound your looking for.

------------------
2000 Laguana Green / NAVI, 2 x JL12W6s, Pioneer Premier P920R, MB Quarts Coaxial, PPI 2600.2 and 4400.2 , Pioneer 620 6Disc
My Acura
Old 11-01-2000, 05:52 PM

For overall sound, the headunit will generate the greatest improvement in sound. If more bass is all that you are after, then just add an amp and subs. I agree with preludeshfan about the bandpass box, although physics disagrees with that great of a bandwidth in a one cubic foot total bandpass. Personally, 2 12's in a bandpass through the factory sub location in rear deck. Biggest draw back, NO TRUNK at all.
Old 11-01-2000, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yup, good people are hard to find, and knowledgable, friendly, customer oriented people are even harder! But ANYWAY.....

Sound quality....what DON'T you like about your system now is the question. Sound is a personal preference also. As far as the TL stock system is concerend, all things weighed, it's not too bad. Problem with it is you don't get that full, rich sound. If you want more bass, you will be able to leave your treble/bass control mid level on the stock headunit, or slightly below midlevel, and turn the aftermarket sub, if you so choose, up slightly to try and compensate for the lack of low level bass. BUT, at the same time you will lose mid bass and high definition sound quality at higher volumes.

If overall sound quality is what you are looking for, I would suggest new door speakers and amp with a good line converter to make up for the 1ohm out from the headunit amp.
Old 11-09-2000, 07:08 AM
Drifting

Goalie, try quality auto sound, I hear they aren't too bad. There is another place, but I forgot the name of it. I will try to remember it for you.

Don't go to soundtrack or best buy or any of those places. They have 5.50 an hour teenagers working there that generally just don't give a damn and are probably guessing if you ask them a question.