Best way to face sub?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 10:34 PM
...and then there was One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best way to face sub?

I am about to build a box for my TLS. I am going to put a 12" Polk into a sealed enclosure, powered by an MTX 2300. My question is, which way to face the sub? Toward the cabin, towards the rear, up, down, side? I was considering building a box that I can rotate, so I can face it different ways if I want. Maybe even put a motor on it, so I can control it from the driver's seat. Make it a little fancy.
Any input is appreciated.
Old 08-09-2001, 01:23 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Assuming you have the optimum size sealed box dimensions from the sub mfg, I would spend a little more on time/money on the construction of the box first. Make sure it is airtight! I would just build a rectangular box because you will have to experiment with its location to get the best sound. Once you have the sweet spot and it is tuned in, you can always fix it up later to make for a flash install.
Old 08-09-2001, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
For most practical purposes, firing a sealed enclosure towards the rear of the car is the way to go.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:18 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

I agree with street...

I had it explained to me once.. something about the larger the distance between the woofer and an acoustically reflective surface (rear of trunk), the more a soundwave will be amplified in the desired sound stage (front cabin).

...or something like that.
Just face it towards the back of your car and be done with it.

If you're really concerned abour power, get a bigger amp and highly (db) sensitive subs.
Old 08-09-2001, 05:36 PM

I'm not too worried about power. I had these (actually two Polk 12s) in my last car, but only want one in the TLS to save weight, and... don't need to bass as much anymore.
Sounds like it's firing to the rear. I'll just have to make a cool, functional grill because I throw my golf clubs in the back sometime. I don't need a punctured cone.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:35 PM
Instructor

i was thinking of getting the infinity basslink, and my original thought was i should mount it directly below the stock sub firing up, that way the bass would be roughly in phase with the stock bass... any other way and you are going to get constructive/destructive interferce in the sound waves...
Old 08-09-2001, 10:23 PM

I'm just going to remove the stock sub, or whatever Bose wants to call that 9" waste of material and technology. I've got their 9" right here...
Old 08-10-2001, 05:21 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by SimTypeS
I'm just going to remove the stock sub, or whatever Bose wants to call that 9" waste of material and technology. I've got their 9" right here...
heh.. i think its 7" and actually i've tried several combinations in several enclosures, including dual 10" JL's in a ported box as well as a sealed one and it worked out better facing the rear of the car. however, right now i'm running the JL 3x8" in a sealed enclosure and have it firing from the very end of the trunk(closer to the bumper) and into the cabin and the bass is very nice. so i really think u should play around with it and see what u like most. some people like tight bass, some people like booming bass, and the position of the box will affect how it sounds.
Old 10-20-2001, 10:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
depending also on how hard ur bass hits or how tight ur setup is it doesnt matter because the trunk is not airtight or sound proof so you can face it in any direction and get just about the same sound fom anywhere in the trunk but if u have enough to put a lil motor in it ur better off goin with 1 12"RF Power HX2 that will definetly hit hard even if u put it outside the car.
Old 10-22-2001, 05:43 PM
Racer

I disagree with TripNBeats. On some cars, his statement is true. On others, his statement is false.

I have my sub facing forward thru the rear seat armrest because i have a neon light that lights it up for looks. When i had it facing towards the rear, it sounded real nice and strong. Now that i have it facing the cabin, it's not as loud., but it looks pretty cool with the light, so i leave it like that.

In my old Ford, it didn't matter which way you fired the sub. it sounded the same.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
true very true in actually most cars the TL's have a **ckin nice acoustic cabin in them, i would never recommend to face the sub toward the cabin cuz u lose compression from the front of the sub cuz then the waves have to go further