Best Headphones under $200

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 12:03 AM
6MT Snob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Headphones under $200

I have been doing a lot of reading online about this and everybody has an opinion, but no matter what set of headphones I find, i find a review of somebody saying they are too bright, too uncomfortable too this too that...

So I'm asking you guys from personal experience, what you guys would suggest...
Old 02-01-2005, 12:17 AM
Registered AssHat

I like Sennheisers for bang-for-the-buck.

I just picked up a set of their full cans The HD 280 Pros (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...sf/root/04974#) for $60 shipped (normally $100). I haven't BluTak'd them yet, but they have a good flat response, excellent isolation, and are comfortable over a 3 hour period (then my ears get too hot).

If you are looking for reviews of various headphones, try reading the forum reviews at http://www.head-fi.org/
Old 02-01-2005, 12:24 AM
o-qua tangin wann

check out sennheiser i have a pair of those...very good
link to site
yes, my review is lacking, but i'm spent
peace
Old 02-01-2005, 12:30 AM
o-qua tangin wann

i hate u 4 beatin me 2 it
Old 02-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Burning Brakes

I think its hard to beat the Sen. HD580. Ive compared it to their upper models, and while they are better, it doesnt justify they price difference. check out www.headphone.com
Old 02-01-2005, 09:07 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I am a fan of Grado... The SR-125 won as best headphone and as best budget component in the 2002 Stereophile... $150.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...5%20Headphones
Old 02-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The sony ones...i dont have model number here with me, but its the ones in all the advertisements

the base is very clean and low

djs use them a lot
Old 02-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always liked AKG more than Sennheisers (personal choice) and this is one of their better products for under $200. More info at http://www.akgusa.com/product.aspx
Old 02-01-2005, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

I'll put in another vote for the Grado's...they sound sweet!! but dont get them if you are going to have a lot of ambient noise due to the vented diaphragms
Old 02-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Racer

headfi is a great site to get info from.. that being said

I've got the AKG K271s (just got them a couple weeks ago), Senn HD555, Beyer DT770/80 as far as cans around the $150 mark.

The Grado SR125s are nice, but I'd get the Alessandro MS-1 over them. The MS-1 is the same Grado SR125, tweaked a bit to be less harsh up top and a bit smoother all around, and is cheaper to boot ($99 from the alessandro site).

There are a myriad of great headphones under $200, besides the ones I listed there's also the Audiotechnica ATH-A500/700/900's.

What sound are you lookig for? Open, closed? amped, unamped?

-vasu
Old 02-01-2005, 03:15 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

I enjoy the Sony MDR-V600 (about $90). They are very comfortable and sound better than any pair I have ever had. I have never listened to the above headphones, so you should find a place where you can listen to a few different pairs.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn, you missed my sale by two months: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/f-s-audiophile-grade-headphone-equipment-%2A%2Asold-%2A%2A-290263/

Actually I have recieved two emails from the guy who bought them from me to say how much he's loving them. I'm like "that's great, now stop rubbing it in".
Old 02-01-2005, 08:17 PM
6MT Snob

Okay thanks for the good advice so far..

Open air is okay if they are loud enough to compete with being on an airplane without blowing my ears out. Because on the other hand they will be used mainly at work where being able to hear "hey dave.. " without having to have one ear uncapped all the time will be a plus.

I would like a set of headphones that dont require an amp to sound good, although I do have a pocket cmoy amp I can use. And the only other thing is that I listen to a wide range of music, I like just about everything from 80s pop to hard rock, to jazz to rap to techno.. One thing important to me is bass response. Several of the headphones i have tried tend to bottom out or even worse have a crossover that cuts out very low bass frequencies.

That being said would your previous reccomendations stand or be different..
and again thanks for the advice.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
For airplane use, you definitely want closed ear.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:36 AM
Racer

I was given a pair of MDR-V600 and i don't even list them in my inventory, I hate them that much. They're muddy, bloated, dark (soundwise) and the actual headphones are heavy, and have shoddy craftsmanship. There's a common problem with them, after about 2 years of use the swivel cup mount snaps and breaks. Even at $90 I feel you're overpaying for them, let alone the $150 list price. The Sony MDR-V6/7506 are leaps and bounds better, not to mention usually costing $70. The Vx00 series, in general, is crap (sorry to be blunt, I just hate these headphones so much I really can't vent that in a nice way anymore )

Open-air headphones wont work on an airplane, you need either really really well closed off ones, noise canceling, or earphones (aka, canal phones).

For $200 you could get two pairs ya know. Maybe a nice Alessandro MS-1, Senn HD555 or AKG K240S ($85-105 open-air headphones) and a Shure E2c or Etymotic ER6 ($65/$100 canal phones, respectivly).

Canal phones go into the ear canal and seal it up, and do an excellent job of blocking out noise.

Don't forget that with open air headphones, you'll be able to may be able to hear your coworkers, but they'll also hear whatever you're listening to, not sure if that's a problem or not.

-vasu
Old 02-02-2005, 12:51 AM
Racer

Now as far as bass response goes. I actually haven't heard the MS-1's before, but I have auditioned the entire Grado line from an ipod before and bass response is generally good. The Grado/Alessandro are the most sensitive and efficient, so they'll sound the loudest being unamped. There's a new revision to the Senn HD555 that runs at 55ohms I think (or there abouts), rather than the 120ohm version that I have and that's been on sale now for nearly a year. On this version however, I'm happy with the bass response, it goes surprisngly low when I don't expect it to. They also sound loud enough off un-amped power, but that pocket cmoy should add a little oomph to them, although if you get the newer low ohm version, you'll be fine either way. The AKG 240S, i remember liking a lot, but can't remember what it sounded like specifically. I have heard it has good, low bass response, albeit, a tad on the muddy side .. but you can get the 240S for as low as $80 at guitar center stores if you haggle them.

With closed cans, I'd cut the AKG K271S out. I've got them, and while the bass does deep, it's a little quiet. I'm content with it, but I think if bass is something you're activly looking for/conerned with, you wont be happy enough with it. You might also want to look into the Senn HD25 (not the HD25-SP). I'd also look into the Beyer DT770/80. These are, without a doubt, BASS MONSTERS. Honestly, this is the best sounding bass I've heard on any headphone I've ever heard. The bass goes real low and is really really detailed, which is rare. They sound loud enough unamped, but any extra power will do them better. The highs are a bit tapered off on these, and the mids are a little distant, but not that bad at all. You might wanna move these to the top of your list. I should mention though that I don't think they'd be loud enough, and I don't think they'll seal well enough for airplane usage unamped.

That could just be me though. The 2 strongest clamping and best isolating headphones I've ever used are the Senn HD280 and Sony MDR-V600 (the ones I hate overall, not the V6 that I like overall), and even though they're both efficient and go plenty loud unamped, I still they aren't great for airplane usage. There's just something about jet engine sound that's really penetrating. I'd really look into canal phones or noise canceling phones.

If you ask me, in general, you need to spend more money on a closed set of headphones to get audio quality that begins to approach openair headphone audio quality. This isn't a hardened rule, there are exceptions, but in general that's that I've experienced.

If it was my money, I think i'd get a pair of open cans and a pair of canal phones. And if you'd like the freedom of not requiring an amp, I think i'd recomend the Alessandro MS-1 or AKG 240S for open cans, and then Etymotic ER6 for canal phones.

Lemme know if you need more help. I can talk about headphones all day

-vasu
Old 02-02-2005, 01:05 AM
o-qua tangin wann

IMO, sony + audio =

If you own a pair of them, here's some for your ears

haha my fault, i love to use these smileys they're just
Old 02-02-2005, 01:12 AM
6MT Snob

When you say my co-workers will hear what im listening to, how loud are we talking? I work in a quad cube with 3 other people id say im going to be about 3 feet away from the nearest set of ears... are they going to hear what im listening to like at 10% of the volume im listening 20-30-50 etc?

If thats the case is the bass response on the canal phones any good.. and or in that case what i should probably do is spend a little more on a good set of closed ear..

I remember when i used to work the beyerdynamic mics we used to use were the best sounding mics i remember using so i would guess they know how to make a pretty good headphone..

My only question about the Beyers though is that it says on the site it has a 250ohm impedence... wouldnt that kinda suck w/o a headphone amp?
Old 02-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Racer

I'll be honest, I like to listen to stuff real loud, while I haven't tested the leakage of the Grado/MS1 that much, I've read that people in the next room would hear it, at a good ammount of loudness.

Is there office noise? aircon, computers, copy machines, phones, etc? or is it fairly quiet?

I should also mention that the AKG K240s is "semi-sealed", which is still semi-open ... so of all the open cans, it'd probably leak the least.

Canal phones can have quite good bass, just depends on the model.

About the Beyer DT770, they make an 80ohm version, but you can only get it at Guitar Center stores. They go for $150 I think if you haggle them down from $200.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:19 AM
6MT Snob

I bought the DT-770s.. guy at guitar center wouldnt go down on the price but they were listing them at 229 and they had them for 199.. and even at 199 i feel I got a good deal...

These headphones are B A D A S S.

You know how I know they are good? I have them on flat EQ and everything sounds good, on other headphones im always f'n with the EQ here there, oh and it sounds good for this song but sounds like ass for this song etc etc..

And this is just listening on my crappy headphone output on my dell desktop. I just found out to my dismay that the headphone jack on my pioneer reciever is jacked... It may be time to replace it.. i'm just using it as a pre-amp for my usa-900.

ANYWAY

I cant thank you enough for the suggestion of the beyers, This is exactly what I was looking for...

Unfortunatly my cmoy amp has developed a buzz in the right ch. so i dont know what they sound like amped w/o distortion, but from what i could tell by setting the bal to just the left ear they sound even better with a lil juice going to them.

But so far everything I throw at them they handle like champs.. examples

Something like Britney spears toxic, you can really hear all the work they put into the production and it handles the modern dynamics of a fully digital recording without a hitch.

Something like the live bersion of Brian Wilson by Barenaked Ladies, it had a perfect stage.. i closed my eyes and i could feel like i was at the concert..

Something like going back to cali by LL Cool J, it took the 808 kick drum in stride, something EVERY set of headphones i have had previously shit on.

I listened to my best of danny elfman and stuff like the batman theme sounded choice...

What im listening to now is Herbie Hancock - Chameleon off his head hunters album, mid 70s jazz 15 minute jam.. staging perfect, fat 70s analog bass track perfect, slight production tape hiss all there...

Anyway Thanks again..
Old 02-03-2005, 12:24 AM
o-qua tangin wann

I listen to all sorts of music, and am open to new shit, but Britney Spears.. whats good with that homie?
Old 02-03-2005, 03:32 AM
Racer

I'm glad you like the headphones. I've been thinking about selling my DT770's just because I've got too many headphones, but maybe I should just invest some money in an amp ... it's an expensive hobby!

gfxdave99, are you familiar with headphone breakin? The idea is that speakers, being a moving part, benefit from being "broken-in" like shoes or jeans, and that after they're broken in, they sound better. I can honestly say I notice a difference in my headphones after breakin. When I first get a pair of headhones I listen to them for half an hour straight (to hear what they sound like new) and then I plug them into my receiver and play music through them for at least 24 hours straight (sometimes 50+). And with every set of headphones I've gotten ... even little $15 Senn MX500 earbuds, there's been a noticable improvement afterwards.

With the DT770/80, after a breakin period of about 30 hours, the highs smoothed out and the bass actually was stronger and more apparant. Hard to imagine, but yes, there will be better bass response once the drivers have losened up a bit

I also strench mine over the ups/fedex box they came in when I do this. Basically, have it look like the box is wearing the headphones. This does 2 things, 1) the earcups are pressed up against the box, so you don't hear the headphones all day for a day or 2 while breaking in and 2) it helps strech out the headband a little and make the headphones more comfortable.

I'm glad you liked them! Hard to hate a pair of headphones with inch thick velour earcups that envelop your ears .... mmmm so comfy

-vasu
Old 02-03-2005, 11:53 AM
6MT Snob

Originally Posted by bigblazinboot
I listen to all sorts of music, and am open to new shit, but Britney Spears.. whats good with that homie?
Most of her stuff sucks.. but the song Toxic has a cool beat with the strings and that synth drum track.. it just has a good hook to it.. I'm not a fan by any means..

Any my point was that I threw at it all kinds of different music and it didnt flinch at any of them..
Old 02-03-2005, 12:02 PM
6MT Snob

Originally Posted by vasu

With the DT770/80, after a breakin period of about 30 hours, the highs smoothed out and the bass actually was stronger and more apparant. Hard to imagine, but yes, there will be better bass response once the drivers have losened up a bit

-vasu
I will give that a shot.. it was kind of funny, all my co-workers were like you spent HOW MUCH on headphones, and im like here listen.. and all of them were like. wow thats emm.. yeah.. Oh well It was a nice present for myself out of some of my tax return money.

Heheh the guys at guitar center talked me into the 2 year replacement program which is nice cuz it covers everything short of me running them over with a car so if i run over the cord with my chair (which im known to do) I get a new set.. Oh well it was $20, which i think was worth it
Old 02-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Racer

My friends routinely ask me how much I spend on headphones ... I think the best reaction i got was "you know, they give you a pair of headphones with a discman"

Did you read the manual that came with your DT770's? I think it comes with one at least. One of the cool things about high end headphones like these ist hat all the parts are user serviceable. If you snag the chord, you can replace it by snapping it out and snapping a new one in, etc. The drivers can be replaced, you can get new pads if you wear the old ones out. So you should feel safe in that after your 2 year service contract, you're still not gunna be screwed if something breaks. I should also let you know that with future purchases, you can always get guitar center to come down somehow. Just tell them you found it online for <insert reasonable sounding lower price here> and they'll budge a bit. The sales clerk you talk to can actually pull up the item on the computer and can see what the lowest price they can offer you is. Guitar Center nationally sets a "minimum" sale price on every item they sell in stores, which is the lowest amount of profit the sales folk feel is acceptable, it's really interesting.

I got a midi keyboard last year that had an msrp of $250 and walked out getting it for $139 after tax.

If you really wanna get snobbish about this hobby, you can even get higher quality cables from the headphone drivers to the jack, for that extra little something

feel free to bug me in the future if you need some words on canal phones or any other phones. They're great for airplane travel. I'm itching to get some Shure E2C's (on sale at buy.com for $60 after shipping!) or maybe some Sharp MD-33 (japanese import, about $45 i think?)

-vasu

Last edited by vasu; 02-03-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:14 PM
VP Electricity

Hey, vasu, you ever hear the Bang and Olufsen earbuds? The ones machined out of aluminum?
Old 02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
VP Electricity

Hey, good timing: http://slate.msn.com/id/2113059/
Old 02-04-2005, 04:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by elduderino
Hey, vasu, you ever hear the Bang and Olufsen earbuds? The ones machined out of aluminum?
Bit of a delayed response. I've got a touch of the flu, and was hibernating Chris Farley / Nyquil style (anyone remember that sketch? )

That article was surprisingly good, given that it was coming from the Slate ... not exactly the pinnacle of tech knowledge :-P

As far as the B&O ... I believe you're talking about the A8 Earphones. They usually go for $150 and for that price you get sound typical of a $40 earbud ... but with the sexiest design ever Honestly, it really doesn't sound that great, not horrible, but way way not good enough for $150. They look great, are very comfortable, and the swing mechanism that lets you flick them on and off while not taking them off (the mount stays on and around your ear, but you rotate the actual earbud out of your ear canal) is great.

If I wanted earphones (general term for either earbuds or canalphones) for around $150 I'd look into...

1) Etymotic ER-6 (canalphone)

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.asp

2) Etymotic ER-6i / same as the ER6, but white to match the ipod, and more efficient drivers. Louder, but sacrifices a tiny bit of bass.. (canalphone)

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.asp

A Japanese headphonee maker called Audio-Technica also excels in making stylish portable headphones. You can't get them in US stores, but a site called audiocubes.com imports them and sells them.

3) Audio-Technica ATH-CM7ti Titanium Stick Earphones (earbud)

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/E...Earphones.html

4) Audio Technica ATH-EC7 (earbud) / Design look familiar? Consider it what you should get instead of the A8. Same ear mount/hinge as well!

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/E...Headphone.html

These earphones range in the $100-$150 range and I'd get any one of those over the B&O A8.

-vasu

Last edited by vasu; 02-04-2005 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Interestingly the best headphones i've ever used were $10 from Philips. No joke, they had better treble and clarity than some headphones costing 20 times as much.

For what its worth, I've used the headphones used by sonar operators on submarines.. now THOSE are amazing...
Old 02-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Racer

what model were they, i'm curious (the philips ones).

it's not surprising to find some real jems for real cheap. the $13 Sennheiser MX400 (drivers are same as the $15 MX500 i have) sound as good or better than the Sony MDR-V700DJ's I have (which were $150) at times.