autostart?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question autostart?

Ok let me begin with this is not acura related but a gmc problem however I haven't been able to find a helpful gmc forum. My problem is I plan on having an auto start/alarm installed on the wife's truck, a 95 jimmy. There is a sticker under the hood that states the truck is equipped with an auto starter and it looks like there is an antenna set up near the rear view mirror. But what do I look for and where should I look to know if there is one installed? Since we don't have the transmitter, if it indeed has an auto start could I just use the same wiring and swap out the computer part of it if I buy another kit? I'm really lost on what to look for and where to look so that I'm not wasting $ if I can use some of the old parts or have the one in there reprogrammed or something. Sorry if it shouldn't be in audio stuff but I figured you guys would be the ones to ask when it came to wiring and stuff. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:22 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
There is a harness coming down the steering column from the ignition key switch. The remote starter ties into that if it's present. If it was a DEI 551 (the most popular remote start at the time) there was a separate relay module from the brain - someone could have taken the brain and left the relays. Back then remote starters were added to alarms or keyless systems 99% of the time.

You also IMO want a new install. If that truck is like the full-size GMs, it had no electrical in-gear start prevention - the key is mechanically prevented from rotating when in gear. THat means the remote start can engage when in gear in some conditions, so the install instructions were revised to address that potential problem. If the install was done when new, it probably wasn't according to the most recent instructions.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot man.