Audiolink Powerdriver PD2 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2001, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audiolink Powerdriver PD2 question

For those who know.

I'm looking to interface an AMP/SUB combo into the existing OEM factory system. From what I've read at http://linkmeup.com/pd2.html , this is what I need to accomplish the task. What I really want to know, will the Cablelink harness interface at the factory BOSE amp, or OEM HU? I need it to interface at the BOSE amp is possible. This will make the package clean, and smooth. I want to keep the BOSE amp powering the factory speakers.

Also, any insight on Audiolink's quality? The price listed for the PD2 seems reasonable for the task at hand. And any insight on a price for the "Cablelink Harness" would be appreciated as well......

TIA - Jim
Old 10-14-2001, 08:36 AM
Tech Guy / Likes to Drive

Re: Audiolink Powerdriver PD2 question

Originally posted by mackdaddy
For those who know.

I'm looking to interface an AMP/SUB combo into the existing OEM factory system. From what I've read at http://linkmeup.com/pd2.html , this is what I need to accomplish the task. What I really want to know, will the Cablelink harness interface at the factory BOSE amp, or OEM HU? I need it to interface at the BOSE amp is possible. This will make the package clean, and smooth. I want to keep the BOSE amp powering the factory speakers.

Also, any insight on Audiolink's quality? The price listed for the PD2 seems reasonable for the task at hand. And any insight on a price for the "Cablelink Harness" would be appreciated as well......

TIA - Jim
I have a PD4, and the quality seems to be fine, you needn't worry about that. The custom harness is about $50, but I wouldn't bother with it unless you were going to be replacing everything in the system other than the head unit. Try using a SoundGate LOCB for your application: an installer should be able to splice it into the factory harness with very little insertion loss.

If you want a simple, clean solution in the trunk, try a Kenwood KSC-WA100 , or perhaps an Infinity BassLink Powered Sub. Either one of these should do the trick.

Happy driving!

- Brian
Old 10-14-2001, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the response Brian.

There will be no one touching my car but me. I've been doing audio for a long, long time.

I've got a Kenwood KSC-WA100 (how'd you know!) That will be integrated into the system (leaving all the existing components in place.) So all I really need is the two channel PD2.

The real question is, does the harness interface at the existing BOSE amp? That's what I'm looking for. Do you see where I'm going, here?!

I've emailed Audiolink the same questions. It appears for what thier web site pictures show, that this indeed is what I want.

Thanks again - Jim
Old 10-14-2001, 09:24 AM
Tech Guy / Likes to Drive

Originally posted by mackdaddy
Thanks for the response Brian.

There will be no one touching my car but me. I've been doing audio for a long, long time.

I've got a Kenwood KSC-WA100 (how'd you know!) That will be integrated into the system (leaving all the existing components in place.) So all I really need is the two channel PD2.

The real question is, does the harness interface at the existing BOSE amp? That's what I'm looking for. Do you see where I'm going, here?!

I've emailed Audiolink the same questions. It appears for what thier web site pictures show, that this indeed is what I want.

Thanks again - Jim
The PD2 hooks into the factory harness, ahead of the Bose Amp/EQ. This will give you the cleanest signal for the amp in the KSC-WA100, and minimize the chance that the rest of your system will be affected, as it might if you tried to tap into speaker leads with a line output converter while still using speakers on the same channels. With the custom harness and shipping, the PD2 should run approximately $150-160.

Hope this helps.

- Brian
Old 10-14-2001, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bc0203
Hope this helps.

- Brian
You da man, friend.

Thanks - Jim
Old 10-14-2001, 07:49 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I had actually gotten the PD2 and the harness in about June and the harness did NOT fit the 2001 Cl-S. I had to send it back :-( Since then they supposidly did get a harness that fits. If you can find their 800 number ask for Larry and he should be able to verify.
The PD2 does work wonders and I would highly suggest it. I was able to get it work without the harness. You honestly don't need the harness but it will save HOURS because you won't have to splice into any of the factory system.
I tried just tapping into the pre amp as everyone else has suggested but I got quite a bit of engine noise. With the PD2 there is NO engine noise and there isn't that thump when you turn the radio on or off.