Audio upgrade... newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 06:23 PM
drop em like its hot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio upgrade... newbie

Hey fellas... I want to change my stock head unit and put in an MP3-CD head unit. On crutchfields it says that i need to "fabricate" a mounting, and that the stock sub won't work anymore.. two things

1) how can i "make" a mounting? are there any ready made mountings out there that i can buy?

2) is there a way i can still use the stock sub with my new head unit?

thanks for all your help...
Old 06-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
you need the metra kit for the dash. its Metra 99-7868. most shops don't know about it, you have to ask them to order it, give them that number.

stock sub
Old 06-16-2004, 08:32 PM
drop em like its hot

yeah they said that there's a stock sub in the trunk where the spare is.

i was confused too... didn't know that there was a sub there.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, you need the dash kit and wiring harness.. Did you talk to crutchfield on the phone ? It doesn't show on the website but if you call they will provide you with what you need.. Did you actaully look in the spare tire to see if there was one? They might be talking about the bose factory amp in that area..
Old 06-17-2004, 01:59 AM
Yeehaw

there is no sub in there.

as of last week when i called them crutchfield had no information about the cl, they never reviewed it...so they dont really know much about it or what fits.

maybe they have our car confused with the fx35/45...that has bose with a stock sub...

but like jonesi said the stock amp is in that area...
Old 06-17-2004, 06:36 AM
drop em like its hot

they dont have info on the CL, so i signed in as a TL... assumed that the audio setup was the same for the CL and TL.

kinda sux they dont have the info online for the CL... will the stock bose amp still work, or will i need to get a new one?

thanks for all your help
Old 06-17-2004, 07:12 AM
Senior Moderator

They have it in their computers if you call and talk to a rep.. Just call them, they are or atleast were extremely helpful for me.. Or maybe I just got lucky and talked to someone that knew about it or had more info.. Make sure you talk to the product advisors and not just the customer service.. THey advisors are well trained..
Old 06-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally Posted by rezurex
they dont have info on the CL, so i signed in as a TL... assumed that the audio setup was the same for the CL and TL.
No, the CL and TL have different audio setups. The TL has a sub, but the CL doesn't. And I think the CL has tweeters up in the doors whereas the TL doesn't, but I'm not sure about this.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Yeehaw

kinda sux they dont have the info online for the CL... will the stock bose amp still work, or will i need to get a new one?

thanks for all your help

You can make the stock amp work, but since it runs at 2 ohms its not comptable with any speakers without an adapter. You would be better off replacing the amp while youre doing this. Even an inexpensive amp would be better than the bose amp with adapters...I've heard the sound quality is not that great...plus the bose amp doesn't put out much power.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:45 PM
drop em like its hot

so i get the new head unit... i need wire harness and the kit from metra, do i also need another amp? since im just installing the head unit, and not any speakers, wouldn't there be no need to change any of the amps?
Old 06-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Yeehaw

so i get the new head unit... i need wire harness and the kit from metra, do i also need another amp? since im just installing the head unit, and not any speakers, wouldn't there be no need to change any of the amps?

as far as I know, that is correct. you can hook up an aftermarket deck to the bose amp and everything is cool, no need to replace the amp.

BUT...I am not 100% sure so don't take my word for it. I stripped out all the bose the day I got the car so I'm not positive about how the bose amp connects to an aftermarket deck. I don't know if it has line level or rca inputs...
Old 06-17-2004, 04:59 PM
8th Gear

Has anybody done a line in directly to the amp in the trunk with a switch to switch audio sources?
Old 06-17-2004, 07:48 PM
drop em like its hot

I called crutchfields before, talked to a service rep, he was very helpful. There is no need to order the kit or wiring harness separately, crutchfields will add it in for no extra charge when you buy a headunit.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uTWy4js...o&i=257KDA3000

thats the head unit im getting, jvc arsenal ar3000. its pretty cool MP3-CD player, has a color display where you can load your own pics via pc into the headunit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uTWy4js...&avf=N&search=
im getting the kicker solo baric 8" sub. i'm making the box out of particle board to fit the sub very snugly inside under the rear seats, im making a hole in the middle part of the rear seat where u can store stuff inside so the sub will fit inside. it'll be a good amount of work, but i think it'll pay off because i want to not use up any trunk space.

the amp im getting. probably put this in the trunk i think.

any opinions? thanks for your comments in advance
Old 06-17-2004, 08:06 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by aconway
Has anybody done a line in directly to the amp in the trunk with a switch to switch audio sources?

what audio sources would you be switching? not sure if I understand what you are asking.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Yeehaw

I called crutchfields before, talked to a service rep, he was very helpful. There is no need to order the kit or wiring harness separately, crutchfields will add it in for no extra charge when you buy a headunit.
they have that metra kit now? damn...they didn't when I ordered my new deck two weeks ago :ripped:

im getting the kicker solo baric 8" sub. i'm making the box out of particle board to fit the sub very snugly inside under the rear seats, im making a hole in the middle part of the rear seat where u can store stuff inside so the sub will fit inside. it'll be a good amount of work, but i think it'll pay off because i want to not use up any trunk space.

sounds pretty crazy. are you going to be able to make the box the right size and fit in there? that space isn't very big. good luck though and make sure to get some pics when you get it done.

where are you going to install the amp?

and just fyi, an 8 inch sub really doesn't take up that much space if you get a box that fits snug against the rear seats. I have a 12 in a sealed box and I still have tons of room back there.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:02 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
what audio sources would you be switching? not sure if I understand what you are asking.
This is somewhat off the topic of this post, but I have the in-dash 6 cd changer from Acura, while people have told me that I can use the bliitzsafe, I cannnot find the place to do it and the folks at a couple of blitzsafes disti's say that I can't because it is used up by the in-dash disc changer. So I am looking for another audio input into the system. As long as the input into the Amp is a high impedence input I could use it to hook up my IPod or a small MP3 computer.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:03 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
and just fyi, an 8 inch sub really doesn't take up that much space if you get a box that fits snug against the rear seats. I have a 12 in a sealed box and I still have tons of room back there.

I have lots of space left with my 12 in the trunk, although the pass-thru is no longer functioning as originally intended...now it just allows the bass to get into the cabin through some carpeting covering the opening. I can still fit a couple beach chairs and a huge cooler in there. But I would like to see the setup you're contemplating with the 8 mounted in the rear seat.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:56 AM
drop em like its hot

yeah its gonna be a pretty crazy set up. not too much for show i guess, since the sub will be hidden under the seats, but i expect to get a better feel out of the bass since all the bass will go throughout the car. it wont fit inside right now, i have to take out the plastic thing inside, and i will probably have to take out the leather-like cover between the seats as well, but if possible i want to keep it there, i wontbe completely sure until i get all the parts.

i think im gonna put the amp in the trunk, where the stock amp is right now. its gonna be a lot of work, but i got 2 friends who work at a audio shop and they're willing to help me out with the work. i'll post pics as soon as the work is done, probably in a few weeks after i get all the supplies necessary. have to make the enlosure first for the sub, and get the right size down, make sure its airtight, etc.

thanks for all your help and comments
Old 06-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by aconway
This is somewhat off the topic of this post, but I have the in-dash 6 cd changer from Acura, while people have told me that I can use the bliitzsafe, I cannnot find the place to do it and the folks at a couple of blitzsafes disti's say that I can't because it is used up by the in-dash disc changer. So I am looking for another audio input into the system. As long as the input into the Amp is a high impedence input I could use it to hook up my IPod or a small MP3 computer.

There are dozens of people here who have run the blitzsafe into the stock cd player. If you do a search you will find tons of info on how to do it...and a few detailed posts of installation instructions with pictures.

and resurex...sounds great man good luck.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:08 AM
Flap.

expect a lot of rattles...

and i hope that by particle board you meant mdf.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:09 AM
Flap.

make sure you leave enough room for the sub to travel its full excursion..
Old 06-19-2004, 02:51 PM
drop em like its hot

MDF? i was told to use particle board, not med density fiberboard...

and i know, there should be a good amount of rattles since the bass will be directly radiating from within the car... i mean, its not like the car doesn't rattle on its own when driving.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Flap.

um.. particle board hasnt been used for boxes for years... id stick with mdf its a hell of a lot stronger.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Senior Moderator

3/4 Mdf
Old 06-19-2004, 05:12 PM
Flap.

they usually sell 5/8 as well which is cheaper and would work fine with this sub...

a guy i know put 4 jl 12w6v2's in a ported box and used 1 inch mdf... hehe hardcore
Old 06-19-2004, 09:52 PM
drop em like its hot

i'll take your word for it hobo! MDF sounds good to me.

got the headunit in the mail yesterday, waiting for my amp and sub.

i was wondering if i could install the headunit first w/o the amp? i'm assuming i just take out the stock cd changer, use the mounting kit and wiring harness, and the new headunit should work?

thanks again
Old 06-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Senior Moderator

You're so much better off to do it all at once, while things are apart.. It only took me about 2 hours to do the whole tv, brain, PS2 amp and sub..
Old 06-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Flap.

i know how you feel, but jonesi is right, it will be better to take it all apart once only... have fun !