Audio connection

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 11:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio connection

Is there an adapter or something that will allow me to hook up an alternate audio source such as a portable MP3 player?

I'm not very interested in the classic cassette adapter or an FM modulator.

Ideally, I can (somehow) hook up a cable (RCA or 1/8" stereo mini) to the back of the stereo (like you would a CD changer) and just connect it to the MP3 player when I want to use it. When I'm finished, I disconnect it and tuck the cable out of the way.

What would it take to do this?

BTW, I have a 2002 Type-S w/ Navi.

Please help if you can, I'm dying to get MP3 into my car...
Old 10-16-2002, 01:34 AM
Pro

Considering that MP3 audio is marginal from a true audiophile perspective... I don't know why you're so opposed to the conventional cassette adapter or FM modulator approach.

The stock headunit is very complicated especially with the EQ/compressor/limiter chassis that it goes back and forth through. The connections are all BALANCED with FLOATING GROUNDS... therefore, it would be a hassle to convert your unbalanced RCA or mini-phone plugs into true balanced circuits. Again, MP3 audio basically sucks from a quality standpoint, so why go to all of the hassle? Even after converting the appropriate inputs and outputs from unbalanced to balanced, you would still need to come up with a way of switching between the feeds. The stock harness would be very difficult to configure to provide the options that you are asking for. Just stick with what works easy... Use a cassette or FM modulator adapter.

It's the best way to isolate the two sources from each other, especially if you plan to operate the MP3 player from the cigarette lighter. You could easily end up with ground loop and/or noise problems by trying to directly hook up to the rear of the headunit.

Good Luck!
Southbound
Old 10-16-2002, 02:02 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the comments. Mainly, I was interested in the RCA approach for its looks. I was thinking that it would look better when not in use, and it would be a semi-permanent solution.

I was thinking of getting the Archos Jukebox MP3 player, which is battery powered and quite small. I was thinking that when I had it with me in the car, I could just plug in to this cable adapter thingy and be on my way.

Ideally, I would run the cable in to the center console and leave it in there.

I tried using an FM Modulator with my laptop once, and it was horrible. Are there any "good ones" out there. Maybe the one I bought was too cheap (around $20 I think).

Again, thanks for the advice. As far as the quality, I know that MP3's aren't as crisp as CD's, but given the convenience and the fact that I can have all of my music with me (and easily accessible) at all times, it's close enough for me.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Why don't you try this. Ron put it in my MDX and the sound just blows the RF modulator away. Additionally it goes into the stock system for stock audio control. Just hit the CD button twice and you're set...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=47823
Old 10-16-2002, 07:24 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that for sure. anyone know when Ron's site will be back up??

Does your MDX have the same exact stereo as the TL's?, 6 disc in dash and all?
Old 10-16-2002, 11:35 PM
Instructor

I use the Archos Recorder 20 in my TL-s along with the cassette adapter. It works well - I don't notice too much sound degradation. Of course, a direct connection to an AUX input would be even better!
Old 10-17-2002, 12:13 AM
Racer

i am trying to do the same thing.. hook up a laptop to the stock stereo. no cd changer nothing. whats this about hitting the cd button twice. and whats the part that is needed? the posts dont explain much.. jsut some awsome thig with no details.

regards