Attn: Soopa or NE1 else....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Attn: Soopa or NE1 else....

Soopa: I noticed that you had one 'hummer' of an amp with subs.

I am going to get flamed for this but I think the stock stereo is not all that bad and can definitely live with it.

My question is, did you just add the amp + subs to your system and will that cost me alot to get someone to an install?

I was thinking a 5 or 6 channel amp at first, but if I can get away with a 2 channel amp to run a 12" sub, I will be happy with that.

Thanks for any feedback...

Moderators: please do not send this to AV Electronic section. This is specific to the CL-S and there are not that many new topic post anyhow. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:16 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Attn: Soopa or NE1 else....

Originally posted by Eggplant-EX
Soopa: I noticed that you had one 'hummer' of an amp with subs.

I am going to get flamed for this but I think the stock stereo is not all that bad and can definitely live with it.

My question is, did you just add the amp + subs to your system and will that cost me alot to get someone to an install?

I was thinking a 5 or 6 channel amp at first, but if I can get away with a 2 channel amp to run a 12" sub, I will be happy with that.

Thanks for any feedback...

Moderators: please do not send this to AV Electronic section. This is specific to the CL-S and there are not that many new topic post anyhow. Thanks.
why a 2 channel amp just the run 1 sub? You can just install a 1 mono amp just to drive the sub.
If you could live with the stock BOSE system then you dont have to worry about 5 or 6 channel amp.

Soopa's system costed him quite a bit for the installation. You can definately install the simple bass upgrade yourself if you know audio basics. Check the link in my sig. for the template.

PS. You made us (A/V ppl) feel bad . The A/V forum is pretty much alive now. Just look around and you see almost everything you need to know in there
Old 11-16-2001, 11:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would guess around 800-1000 for a box with twin 10’s or 12’s including a quality Amp & install.

I paid 650 for my box & twin Alumapro 10’s w/ installation, but I already had the Kicker Amp from a previous car.

BASS is the biggest thing lacking in the stock BLOWS system.
I think a box w/ twin Subs is the best upgrade to do short of ripping everything out.

Shawn S
Old 11-16-2001, 11:56 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
my system was pricey simply because of the install... but i also have a really good amp/subs.

if you just want a lil more bass I would just get one 12" in a box with like 250-500watt mono amp. I think thats plenty sufficient if your not lookin to show off.

You dont want a 5 or 6 channel amp to run a sub hehe, just get a mono... the purpose of an amp for a sub is simply power... a sub cant reproduce noise. Just get a big block of power and your good

I always like JL Audio stuff since you can get good quality, a good name, and their pretty cheap.
Old 11-17-2001, 12:15 AM
Suzuka Master

First. Sorry for hurting any feelings on the A/V board. Consider myself whipped...

Second. When I mentioned the 5 or 6 channel, I meant it as a replacement for the stock unit. That way, I could drive all 4 speakers and a sub.

I actually have front/back Infinity Kappas (I think they are EX series) but do not think they are superior to the stocks. I cannot hear the difference so am holding back on putting them in.

May just go with a 2 channel and dual subs,

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2001, 12:22 AM
Retired. Not available.

First. Sorry for hurting any feelings on the A/V board. Consider myself whipped...

Second. When I mentioned the 5 or 6 channel, I meant it as a replacement for the stock unit. That way, I could drive all 4 speakers and a sub.

I actually have front/back Infinity Kappas (I think they are EX series) but do not think they are superior to the stocks. I cannot hear the difference so am holding back on putting them in.

May just go with a 2 channel and dual subs,

Thanks.
As far as subs go, stick with mono amp. The reason being mono amp are specifically designed for subs so they can put out the low notes better than regular amps which are designed for sound quality.

Personally, I dont like the Infinity Kappas but I think they would out perform the stock Bose speakers. You said you couldn't tell the difference. Did you hook them up with an aftermarket amp or stock Bose amp? Stock Bose amp is designed to work with bose speakers which have weird impedance load (or so I heard). Maybe that's why your Infinity dont sound right
Old 11-17-2001, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

The Infinity speakers were in my Accord . I just had a Pioneer HU with the 4 Infinity speakers..

IMO. The stock CL system is comparable to what I had in the Accord.

So, you think the Inifinity speakers will sound good hooked up to a better amp, huh. Well, see my new post and given me your comments please.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2001, 07:45 PM
Retired. Not available.

The Infinity speakers were in my Accord . I just had a Pioneer HU with the 4 Infinity speakers..

IMO. The stock CL system is comparable to what I had in the Accord.

So, you think the Inifinity speakers will sound good hooked up to a better amp, huh. Well, see my new post and given me your comments please.

Thanks
First of all, replacing the head unit in a 2nd GEN CL calls for a customized faceplate since there is none available. If you can live with the BOSE system then it's wiser to hang on to it. Cuz if you replace the HU then you have to replace the speakers as well since the speakers have weird impedance. Or you can keep the speakers and get some sort adapter (I forgot what brand. It's been posted here before) for a hundred something bucks to compensate the weird impedance.

I'm a little confused about your need. Sometimes, you seem like going all out. Sometimes, you just wanna add bass. How about make up your mind on what you want then we'll help you with it?
Old 11-21-2001, 12:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah! I can see how I am confusing you. I guess, cause I am confused...

Ideally, I think I really want to go with full system: 5 or 6 channel amp with a sub. I think I will have to go find an Installer to get an install quote.

I am afraid that if I just add an amp + sub, it is kinda going half way. Maybe I am wrong...

Every time I have tried to save money, it has always come back to bite me.

Thanks for the advice
Old 11-21-2001, 01:24 AM
Retired. Not available.

if you try to save money, how about doing it yourself? It's fun and rewarding. I'm pretty sure we can help you to go along. All it take is knowing basic audio concepts and patient. You can check out what I've been doing to my car. Mind you I'm an algorithm writer, not an installer.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

SilverKnight : confuscious says, "you much funny man"

Ha! Ha! Ha! Do it myself??? Let's just say, I am so hopeless that the only major car work that I do, is changing burnt light bulbs. I am really good at that, though it may take me a few hours to figure out.

I look at all of you guys and am totally impressed/jealous..