ATTN: Austin519

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 01:04 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTN: Austin519

Basically, I would like to be able to play mp3s and burn/watch music vids (.avi/.mpg). Starting off, I will install one monitor, and eventually work up to 4 total monitors (2 in visors/headrests). I'm guessing that watching 2 hour long movies on a 5.6" monitor is straining to the eyes so the dvd aspect isn't important, although neat. If within budget, are there any other players that also include cd-rw/xm capabilities (or is that running into the thousands?).

I'd like to spend somewhere around 2-300 dollars for the player itself, so I am currently looking at the Blaupunkt DVD-ME1 (~190 shipped). Any pros/cons/suggestions on other brands?

As for monitors, I'm currently looking at the 5" Farenheits (T-5009msv) which is ~150 shipped, and the 5.6 power acoustiks (PT-569msv) which is ~ 190 shipped.

Aside from the player and monitors, do I need anything else like an amp or some form of tuner (I don't need to watch tv, but are there any other types of tuners?). Also, what else would I need to connect 4 monitors from one output? With this setup would I be able to add an in-dash monitor as well?

Thanks for the response
Old 05-14-2002, 05:28 AM
Banned

apitat:
Sorry I had to put you off in IM Hopefully I can help out here. Okay...so you need something to play mp3's, and watch music videos. To do the latter they'll need to be in VCD format, which DVD players can read. You say the DVD aspect isn't important? You'll be running into the thousands for a unit that just has a motorized screen and in dash DVD.

Ah...now I see what you're asking for...my bad. I am a bit confused...you say you want it to play DVD/VCD and mp3's...so are you looking for an in dash player for your HU that also plays DVDs or what?
I assume you want standalone...not an in dash DVD (w/o screen). In dash you can find got prices for the Kenwood Z910DVD (plays everything and has XM):
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...&productId=746

That's a sub 1000 deal. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1352802852)
Or you could find the Clarion VS715 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1352323972) for normally sub 500.

You say you want to spend 2-300...but personally don't you think changing those disks are going to be a nuisance? What do you want to do for a HU?

Honestly I think the Blaupunkt is a great choice. The only other that comes to mind is the Pyle...but I would definitely springs for the Blaupunkt instead. I've seen them in person and they look good and play clean. Plus it has the features you want.

I think StreetEffectz would argue me...but I like the Farenheit screens...they aren't as high of quality as Sony or Accele...but they are pretty good. Another brand you may want to check out is NESAvision. I can get 7" Nesa widescreens for $260 or so through a hookup...and smaller ones for a lot less obviously. I would steer you away from the PA screens...for some reason when I've seen them in person they tend to reflect a lot of glare...and have a smaller actual viewing angle...and average picture for a higher price.

As for whatever else you need...you'd only need an amp to power aftermarket speakers (are you running aftermarket speakers?). You only need a tuner if you want to watch TV (aka antenna TV)...which IMHO isn't worth it, and no that's what a tuner is...a TV tuner. They'll have XM style mobile TV readily available within 8 years...I'd just wait. To connect 4 monitors all you need is a splitter...now I say this with a wee bit of caution. That is true in the case that whatever you are using as a source unit puts out enough so that you don't go under the threshold of the screens. I have done this before...without a problem. However in some circumstances, this is the case. And if so, you'll just need a signal booster (or really...a small box that will boost the source signal and split it for you...usually as 4 or 8 outputs). Those are cheap and readily available. I would wait and see. And with this setup (a standalone player) yes you would be able to add an in dash monitor. However, and this is more expensive, but it may be worthwhile to buy a touchscreen/dvd combo, such as those offered by kenwood, panasonic, alpine, etc. Although it usually ends up costing about $400 more than the separate setup...you do have on screen commands instead of a remote to fumble with (or get installed) and you can change your disks up front instead of wherever you locate your standalone player. Just something to think about.

Hope that helps...if you need anything else just clarify and I'll try to respond better .

Austin519
Old 05-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Austin519

You say you want to spend 2-300...but personally don't you think changing those disks are going to be a nuisance? What do you want to do for a HU?
My main uses will be either the mp3 or vcd. Since it will mostly be mp3 that I listen to, I can burn a cd with ~150 songs..hopefully elminating the need to change disks. What if I bought the clarion unit, I assume that's in-dash (looking at the picture)? If that's the case then the changing disks will be solved. Another thought...I can probably put the standalone somewhere in the interior instead of the trunk, that might help...I'll have to see...

As for whatever else you need...you'd only need an amp to power aftermarket speakers (are you running aftermarket speakers?).
Right now I have the Pioneer GM-X924 amp, with really old mtx magnum speakers (given to me by a friend). I'll probably keep the amp and buy new speakers soon since it seems decent (or not?)

Ok so here's my goal for now... I'll probably end up buying the blaupunkt or clarion and some monitors. I also want to have some bass in the car (making use of the amp and cap that I already have). If I get the clarion, I'll assume that it should be relatively easy to connect the amp/monitors to it...but what about the blaupunkt? Do I need a seperate hu which will be the middleman between the blaupunkt and the amp? Or can I fully use the blaupunkt as a normal hu?

Now the main thing of this setup is that I want to make it look as if I do not have anything in the car (too many thieves around). Am I wrong in assuming that the visor screens are not that noticable (since you fold them up) as opposed to the headrests that scream steal me? Since the blaupunkt is bigger, I will hide it somewhere, and keep the stock hu in as a dummy. Any ideas/opinions on what I should do?
Old 05-14-2002, 11:10 AM
Advanced

One other thing, what kind of prices can you get on the blaupunkt dvd-me1, Clarion VS715, 5-6" NESAvisions, farenheits, and emerons (or any other monitors that are decent)?

Perhaps a pm would be better; I don't want you getting in trouble or anyone bitching about your prices being low and that you undercut their profits

Thanks again
Old 05-14-2002, 03:26 PM
Banned

apitat:
I just strongly suggest thinking about how nice it would be to have as a HU . But...placing like...in a glove box or custom done console would be nice. I think the units that we've listed for both applications are good. I would be happy to get you prices...and yeah obviously you read where that total @sshole (pardon me...I never cuss ) was yelling at me for helping you guys out. But shoot me an email at Austin519@aol.com with the exact makes and models you want and I'll look it all up for ya.

Austin519