Attention all XM users

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 01:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention all XM users

i know you will al be biased but im really stuck thinking about getting it.
i know already i would get the XM commander rather than the roady. it costs a little more but i like it better.

2nd is the cost it will cost me about 159.00 for the XM unit and 100 for the adapter thingy HONSND3 or whatever its called and an additional monthly fee ( i would probly pay the whole year)

my concerns are that firstly i hate listening to CD's i dont like knowing all the time whats comming up and my musical taste is so hugely wide i dont think i would ever be happy with even 100 cd's in the car not to mention i have to change them out all the time.

95% of the time i listen to the radio station 1 in particular that plays mostly hip hop and R&B i do occasionally listen to country in my office all day and sometimes jazz. i really enjoy the stations history of playing old school and disco on fridays.

my commute to my office takes me all of about 10 minutes each day. i often go out during the day to inspect a home and sometimes other places for lunch errands ect. all total i probly drive about 1000 miles a month.

im trying to decided if adding the system and bennifits outweigh the cost of the investment.

how do you guys like XM what are your listening habits?
why did you choose to get it and what do you think of the music selection and programming.

can you tell me any good and bad things to consider?
Old 11-26-2003, 11:43 PM
Senior ATCer

Well...let me say that I'm sold on Sat Radio. I subscribe to XM, but I'm sure Sirius would be just as good. My commute is about 20-25 minutes to work and back. I've really been putting the miles on my TSX with a lot of road trips. Over 10600 miles as of today. XM really helps to make the miles go by. After a hard day at work I like to listen to the comedy channel to unwind. My favorite channel is Deep Tracks. It's an album rock channel with a very deep playlist. Just about every song is something you don't hear on FM. I guess that's what I like best about XM, of the channels I listen to, the playlist is very eclectic. There really is something for everybody. The only drawback I can see is occasional drop outs when the antenna cannot see the satellite. The signal cuts out for a few seconds at a time. I can remedy this by moving the antenna from it's spot on the package shelf. I chose to put up with the annoyance to keep sticky fingers from messing with an antenna placed outside the car. To sum up, I will purchase a Sat Radio system with any new car I buy.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

thanks BamaTSX

88 views on this thread and only 1 person replies?

comeone guys, someone has to have another opinion...
Old 12-08-2003, 01:52 PM
Motorrad Pilot

I'd like to know more as well. I'm pondering which system to get and from where. I went by the Acura dealer today and the Acura system for our cars is over $1000 bucks before installation. NOT gonna happen.

So what next? I'd really like to have a unit that looks factory installed, not an add-on sticking up on the dash.

What does everyone have? Pictures too?
Old 12-08-2003, 02:23 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
PBN, I guess bass made his decision here is his set up:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=4828
Old 12-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Motorrad Pilot

Thanks, I just checked it out. Anybody else do this type of thing?
Old 12-09-2003, 01:07 AM
Senior ATCer

Here's a thread to my XM Roady with Navi pix. So far no problems and no complaints about the fidelity. If you are thinking XM with the stock audio system, I can recommend the Roady without reservation.http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=4992
Old 12-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Jewdacris!!

Well my family has 4 subscriptions to satelitte radio. between the car and my computer its a great thing. If you like hip hop and rap and stuff they have some good channels. There is more music on XM then on sirius from what ive heard...sirrius has a little more talk. But i would say go for it its great.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting a Sirius add-on system (by Kenwood) installed tomorrow. It's going into the CD compartment right below the radio, so I can close the door and hide it when I'm parked. I went with Sirius because I heard that a number of XM channels were simply rebroadcasts of different FM stations around the country. Also XM's broadcasts include ads, whereas Sirius's do not.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Iceman
I'm getting a Sirius add-on system (by Kenwood) installed tomorrow. It's going into the CD compartment right below the radio, so I can close the door and hide it when I'm parked. I went with Sirius because I heard that a number of XM channels were simply rebroadcasts of different FM stations around the country. Also XM's broadcasts include ads, whereas Sirius's do not.
well thats false, there is only 1 rebroad cast i know of called Kiss and its out of CA, they actually play really good selection and i have yet to hear a commercial that is longer than about 30 seconds.
also that kenwood unit is really hard to see and HUGE. i would never give up my console for that thing.
should have gone with the XM commander, even comes with a remote and for less than the kenwood unit i belive.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
well thats false, there is only 1 rebroad cast i know of called Kiss and its out of CA, they actually play really good selection and i have yet to hear a commercial that is longer than about 30 seconds.
also that kenwood unit is really hard to see and HUGE. i would never give up my console for that thing.
should have gone with the XM commander, even comes with a remote and for less than the kenwood unit i belive.
Judging from your pictures, the Kenwood system is the same size as yours. There's a different Sirius system that's huge -- about same size as the roady. My Kenwood system comes with a remote as well. I am really pleased with Sirius. For one thing, I can listen to Sirius on my laptop, without bringing the unit in from the car. It's like having two subscriptions for one price.

I don't know which has impressed me more -- satellite radio (I may never buy a CD again!) or my new speakers. I had the speakers replaced with Alpines, including 170's for the doors. I feel like I got a complete new stereo! Dayum it sounds GOOOOOD!!!

Edit: for more info:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/satellite/page3.html
Old 12-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Anyone can listen to Sirius Streams for free on a PC

And not just for 20 minutes if you follow the link above
Old 12-11-2003, 12:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Iceman
Judging from your pictures, the Kenwood system is the same size as yours. There's a different Sirius system that's huge -- about same size as the roady. My Kenwood system comes with a remote as well. I am really pleased with Sirius. For one thing, I can listen to Sirius on my laptop, without bringing the unit in from the car. It's like having two subscriptions for one price.

I don't know which has impressed me more -- satellite radio (I may never buy a CD again!) or my new speakers. I had the speakers replaced with Alpines, including 170's for the doors. I feel like I got a complete new stereo! Dayum it sounds GOOOOOD!!!

Edit: for more info:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/satellite/page3.html
they may be similar sizes in height and width but the kenwood is in a large box that will eat up about 1/2 the real estate in the storage bin. the commander is only about 3/4" thick and can be mounted just about anywhere. i prefer the flush mount and look of the xm in my compartment that i never used for anything anyway.
i keep a lot of things in my storage bin , for one thing a pad of paper and pen in case i need to write a plate number ot phone number on it.