Anyone get bass lag after changing door speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2001, 03:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Anyone get bass lag after changing door speakers?

Hope I can make myself clear about this.

I recently changed all my door speakers to Bostons and now I can hear a definite bass lag with certain types of music. Before I changed my door speakers, I had only a single 12" JL W3 which hit real nice. But now, with my new Bostons installed as well, I notice that when listening to trance/techno(which has bass hits at faster rates, like 2/sec), the sub lags a split second longer than my mids which are hitting a higher frequency beat at "supposedly" the same time. I don't notice this with other types of music, only my trance. And I really have to listen carefully to notice this.

My theory is that my Bostons respond much better than the shiety paper speakers I had in before, and since a 12" sub has to travel a further distance to hit its note, that's why I have a split second lag.

Anyone else who's changed ALL the speakers experienced this? Any remedies? Not that it bothers me that much, but I'm thinking a 10" would be a better choice in the future.

UCLAtl
Old 10-13-2001, 04:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

wouldnt playing with the gains/xover solve the problem?

try adjusting the xover for the speakers and sub to the same level
Old 10-13-2001, 05:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Check the polarity of your sub. You may need to flip it to make put it in phase.
Old 10-13-2001, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Wampum, where is the polarity of the sub? How do I "flip" it?

I guess I could also mess with the crossovers on the speakers, but I really don't think this will solve the problem.

I'll probably end up taking it back to the installer just to make sure there isn't anything that can't be done. But it seems, IMO, that the problem is more with the diff in sizes of the speakers than anything else.

Thanks for the advice!

UCLAtl
Old 10-13-2001, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Polarity is the + and - lead on your sub. You can try flipping these connections and see if the bass still lags.
Old 10-20-2001, 08:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I've been working on systems for quie a while now and usually when bass lags a little u gains on the eq and on the amp are a little too high and if u learn what each frequency does u can be a pro at re-adjusting the levels I will repost later on in the week with all the frequencies and what they do and how they work. Also do you have a sealed open air or bandpass, thats also another issue thats very very important
Old 10-20-2001, 11:11 AM
Instructor

I have a sealed sub... it's actually the one JL makes, the prowedge I think.

UCLAtl
Old 10-20-2001, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
where u have freq hz on the amp try bring it down to 60 or 80 hz then start by tweaking it lil by lil with volumes increasing slightly as u re-adjust the bass, make sure as ur volume goes up ur speakers and sub dont flap and bring it to a spot where is comfortable for u to go deaf and then stay there and adjust accordingly. on the head unit the bass should be all the way down thats when u start to play with levels on the amp for the sub . Have fun...Trip
Old 12-15-2001, 10:08 AM
Racer

Re: Anyone get bass lag after changing door speakers?

Originally posted by UCLAtl
Hope I can make myself clear about this.

I recently changed all my door speakers to Bostons and now I can hear a definite bass lag with certain types of music. Before I changed my door speakers, I had only a single 12" JL W3 which hit real nice. But now, with my new Bostons installed as well, I notice that when listening to trance/techno(which has bass hits at faster rates, like 2/sec), the sub lags a split second longer than my mids which are hitting a higher frequency beat at "supposedly" the same time. I don't notice this with other types of music, only my trance. And I really have to listen carefully to notice this.

My theory is that my Bostons respond much better than the shiety paper speakers I had in before, and since a 12" sub has to travel a further distance to hit its note, that's why I have a split second lag.

Anyone else who's changed ALL the speakers experienced this? Any remedies? Not that it bothers me that much, but I'm thinking a 10" would be a better choice in the future.

UCLAtl
I have the same problem right now with my speakers and my subs. I found this thread and I don't know what i should do? should I adjust my amp cross over down or what should I do? Anyone could help me out please?