Any satellite radio users? How do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any satellite radio users? How do you like it?

Now that my system is finished, I guess I'm just looking for something else to install... No, seriously, I can't stand local radio stations, because the times that I'm in my car (to/from work) they play more commercials than songs.

So, I'm considering subscribing to Sirius, and getting a trunk-mount receiver that would have yet another control panel to mount on my dash.

Just looking for some general feedback on how much people like their XM or Sirius subscriptions. Also, how's the reception? (I'd be putting the attenna under the rear glass by the brake light).

And, can anybody tell my why Sony sucks ass these days? I have a Sony ES system, with the data bus for adding on. BUT, they only offer one cd changer, and it sucks with MP3s, so I have a JVC with a seperate control panel. Now I want a Sirius receiver, and Sony doesn't offer one--so I'll have a second control panel. The whole idea behind the Unilink bus is that you can add on to the system. Has Sony totally lost their direction in the 12-volt world or what?
Old 03-05-2005, 09:03 PM
5th Gear

I got XM about 2 1/2 years ago, live in chicago, have the antenna mounted outside my car on the trunk deck (as per mfr), and I love it.

I haven't listened to FM in months, maybe even a year. I haven't tryied Syrius, don't know anyone that has it, but imagine that its pretty good as well.

As for reception, I rarely have it where it drops out of reception. I don't exactly understand how the system works (other than the two geocentric satellites and that it is broadcasted horizontally near big cities), but know that it won't go out of reception unless its a real deep underpass away from a big city. Not a problem in thunderstorms (unlike satellite TV), isn't affected by snow (even when the antenna is buried), no problems.

Just get it, you will be a happy happy person.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:38 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Sony has not been my personal fave for a number of years, but I think they will improve in 12V. They recently moved their product management from NJ to San Diego and I think they had some turnover, but they are supposed to be getting better.

Many companies committed to one or the other sat radio company early on... I feel certain that Directed will start selling a Sony Sirius tuner any day (I'll ask... the current product mgr is a huge Sony fan...: )

As far as sat radio, I don't find that it sounds as good as a CD (I use the ALpine XM tuner on my Nak AUX in in my CR-V). I end up using it to listen to XM Comedy, Dan Patrick on ESPN, BBC news, and honestly, that's about it. For music, I listen to this great format called WAV files... : )
Old 03-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

Directed does offer the Sirius Starbase universal FM mod type unit. It sells for $169 and has a small trunk mount unit and a small display for the dash.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by elduderino
Many companies committed to one or the other sat radio company early on... I feel certain that Directed will start selling a Sony Sirius tuner any day (I'll ask... the current product mgr is a huge Sony fan...: )
: )
Does sony license the use of their proprietary data bus to other companies? I was under the impression that they did not do much of that. (They certainly ought to, since they aren't bringing those products to market themselves).

Be sure to tell your friend to support the older ES headunits! (I say that because Sirius does sell a Sony unit, but the compatibility looks pretty sparse).
Old 03-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Directed does offer the Sirius Starbase universal FM mod type unit. It sells for $169 and has a small trunk mount unit and a small display for the dash.
That might actually be the one I was looking at.

I have aux inputs, so I know there are options for me. But, I'd really like to avoid collecting little faceplates on my dash. (I already have one, besides the HU).

That's why I'm so steamed about sony right now. I've got an $1800 HU/preamp with a proprietary bus that I can't seem to buy anything for.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:30 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
NO licensing... all reverse engineering, baby...
Old 03-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently got Sirius Radio and I love it so far! It's great for the rap/r&b/pop that I listen too.

I have the Pioneer SIR-PNR1 unit hooked up to my Pioneer N1 via the IP Bus input and the sound quality is great. Some channels come in clearer than others and there are some that I would say are very close to CD quality.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

I've had XM from almost the beginning...I love it. I have had the antenna inside as well as outside....I haven't experienced any signal problems other than the usual overpass, etc.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

can't we figure out a way not to pay for satelite radio?
Old 03-07-2005, 12:32 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have had XM with a Roady reciever for over a year now. Its great because I can easily trasport it around from the car to my work place. I am still working on getting the bliztsafe adaptor for my car and figuring out where to permanently mount the xm reciever, but overall i have been very happy.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sirius, Sirius, Sirius.

I will NEVER own a car without satellite radio again. Can't wait for Howard Stern to get to Sirius. Plus the music and NFL is great.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

All of the fishermen I've talked to say Sirius is better than XM, and I take their opinion seriously because they all have to cruise back and forth from Seattle to Dutch Harbor Alaska which can take around 5 or 6 days one way. Of course these guys are kind of lushes who prefer to have both so they don't miss anything. Optimus is right, when Howard comes over I think the tide will turn for Sirius.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

I like my XM.

The music is pretty good. I hear some people say it's better on Sirius, but no real explanation why. It's pretty subjective, as far as I can tell. They both have a variety of channels.

After that, it comes down to the extras. If you like Stern, or don't watch your football at home, go for it. XM has MLB this year which I'm looking forward to.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
I like my XM.

The music is pretty good. I hear some people say it's better on Sirius, but no real explanation why. It's pretty subjective, as far as I can tell. They both have a variety of channels.

After that, it comes down to the extras. If you like Stern, or don't watch your football at home, go for it. XM has MLB this year which I'm looking forward to.
I have XM and wouldn't go any other way. I have NEVER listened to the regular radio since I've owned the car (Jan. '04).

BTW, I would love to listen to the Red Sox win the World Series again!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Stardog Champion

I love my XM, I have four subscriptions - car x 3 and one home unit. I've had XM for 2+ years. My friends with Sirius enjoy their sat radio also.

Sony car equipment has sucked since at least 1988 or 1989, I used to sell and install some of their stuff. It was cheap and generally broke right after the warranty expired. They are still selling the stuff so I guess people don't care or don't realize that it sucks.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Karl O.
I love my XM, I have four subscriptions - car x 3 and one home unit. I've had XM for 2+ years. My friends with Sirius enjoy their sat radio also.

Sony car equipment has sucked since at least 1988 or 1989, I used to sell and install some of their stuff. It was cheap and generally broke right after the warranty expired. They are still selling the stuff so I guess people don't care or don't realize that it sucks.
They don't sell the stuff I use anymore (mobile ES, like the CDX-C90). As far as I can tell, they've just left the whole high-end segment to others.

I'm really looking at the Sirius car setup with seperate faceplate. I won't be able to carry it around, but since internet streaming is free I won't need to.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice Derek..which one are you looking at?
There is a new receiver the Sportster 2 that will allow you to rewind for up to 40 minutes of programming. They will also be releasing a handheld receiver similar to the portable XM MyFi that is already out.

Do you have an aftermarket HU?
They pretty much all have kits to to allow direct connection and text display on the HU for all of the major brands now.

I use the streaming internet at work, but one flaw is they DO NOT broadcast any of the sports games on the internet. It's music only. It's still a nice feature. XM charges more for internet broadcasting, but there programming is 3 bucks less. In the end, if you do use the internet streaming the cost is the same.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Instructor

My wife got me Sirius for christmas and i cant say enough good things about it. its only $13 dollars a month but if they charged $100 a month i'd pay it. When I signed up I paid for a year in advance and they give you one month free that way. There are literally too many channels to choose from. When I first got it I was spinning out of control!

One recomendation though. when i first got it i tried to save money and not have to switch out the head unit and i bought a kenwood fm modulator unit and the sound quality was terrible. it was very poor fm quality to decent am quality sounding. plus you had to have your radio set to a certain frequency, which means if you travel and another town is broadcasting on that frequency you have to reset it. in the end i ended up splurging and buying a nice Sirius ready head unit and now i get the crystal clean digital signal and i love it. it literally sounds as good as a cd now. plus now i dont have to set anything when i travel. i just push the Sirius button and go. its worth every penny, and if you ask me they arent charging enough. it really makes you realize just how bad broadcast radio sucks. and yes....plus Howard will be here in 10 months.

if you get it you wont be sorry. i cant imagine how i got along this far without it.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Racer

I'm looking at the Sirius Stargate, which I think is by DEI. I like it because it has a small control panel, the tuner goes in the trunk, and the FM antenna switch is an optional piece. (I have aux inputs, so I don't need it).

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1107202268644

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OFj7lYT...&display=L#Tab

All but SONY! That's okay I guess, the display on HU sucks anyway. I just hate to imagine my dash with all these little control panels on it.

I won't listen to games--just the music. (rock, reggae, alternative, classical).
Old 03-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

Derrick - What you are looking at is the Starbase (similar to a XM Commander) that is made by Sirius and distributed by Directed.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Racer

Right... Stargate/Starbase... honest mistake. Do you think it's a good receiver?