Amp Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 11:58 PM
R.I.P Red-CL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp Cooling

I have a Kenwood KAC-929 amp that at high volumes overheats and shuts off for 5-10 seconds in my 03 TL-P. I was wondering if there is anything you guys do to keep your amp cool or is this an indication that my amp is on its way out?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Any type of 12 volt fan can be used (computer fans are 12v). You should always use them when mounting the amp in a confined space like a covered amp rack. Cooler is always better.

I had a Kenwood amp a long time ago and it started shutting off all the time prior to dying. But it seems like yours is just shutting off because of the overheating safety feature. Its not good if you keep overheating the amp - over time it may do damage. You're not mounting the amp upside down, are you?
Old 08-02-2004, 10:45 AM
R.I.P Red-CL

No, it's not upside down. Are you talking about the computer fans that you mount to the computer cases? If so, how would you power them up, what can they be connected to?
Old 08-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I have two cooling fans, one is hidden on the left side. Once sucks air in and one pushes it out. I didn't have a problem with overheating before I put them in, just a safeguard.

Old 08-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by brizzle
No, it's not upside down. Are you talking about the computer fans that you mount to the computer cases? If so, how would you power them up, what can they be connected to?

When I had my old truck, I had the amps mounted under the seat = hot. So I went to Radio Shack and got a cheep fan...same one we are talking about. You plug the positive into the blue wire (amp control) and the negative into the negative terminal on the amp.

So you plug the fan directly into the amp, then it will turn on when the amp turns on. My amp never overheated after that BTW

My amps now have built in fans
Old 08-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

i have used the same setup as NSXNEXT. no problems
Old 08-02-2004, 02:06 PM
R.I.P Red-CL

anyone have pics of how this connect to the amp.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:10 PM
R.I.P Red-CL

Where should I moun it? Should I remove the cover like nsxnext?
Old 08-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Where should I moun it? Should I remove the cover like nsxnext?
he didn't remove the cover. That's how the amp is.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

its simple really. the power from the fan goes to the blue wire that goes to your amp and the black from the fan gets grounded. the yellow wire on the fan is worthless so just clip it and tape it up.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Boomer SOONER

did I not explain it good enough??? its only two wires
Old 08-02-2004, 11:33 PM
R.I.P Red-CL

Originally Posted by OU Sig
did I not explain it good enough??? its only two wires
I'm sorry I just read it a little more closely and it is clear. Thanks. One more thing, how should it be mounted? I saw nsx next's setup but that looks confusing.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:42 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

I'm sorry I just read it a little more closely and it is clear. Thanks. One more thing, how should it be mounted? I saw nsx next's setup but that looks confusing.

depends on how ur amp is mounted. is it enclosed like NSXNEXT's amp is!? if yes, then jus cut two holes for the fans, mount them in the wood and then run the wire. if its just mounted behind the sub box, then i guess jus have it mounted next to the amp so the fan is blowing air over the top of the amp. make sense?!
Old 08-03-2004, 03:32 AM
Boomer SOONER

i just put my old one right on top of my amp kinda at an angle to get the most airflow, I actually used duck tape!!!...sorry if it was unclear
Old 08-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
another thing ot look at is your gain all the way up? are you dropping the impeadence to low, you need to look at why its getting hot first. hooked up properly, and mounted where its not in a confined space the amp shouldnt be overheating, and if you are just flat out working it that hard fans arent going to help. what are you powering and how is your setup?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tpatel
its simple really. the power from the fan goes to the blue wire that goes to your amp and the black from the fan gets grounded. the yellow wire on the fan is worthless so just clip it and tape it up.
IMO, this is not a good way too hook up fans or any similar accessory for that matter. If you are not using a relay on the radio's remote lead, then you may stress the radio's circuit and possibly burn it out. You may also introduce noise into the audio system (this is very common for things like fans and neon when operated on the same circuit close to the amps).

I'd suggest using the HU turn-on lead to turning on a separate relay for each item that will be turned on (all audio-related equipment like amps/eqs/etc...can be on the same lead).

*OR*

Use a switched power circuit (+12v when key is in acc and run, but 0v when key is removed) from the vehicle to turn on a relay for any accessories (fans/neon). This is slightly better IMO since you can operate the fans with the radio off. This can be helpful in case you want to shutdown the radio/amps due to overheating but leave the fans on.

Either option also more easily allows you to add a switch up front to let you manually turn off the accessory. And because the relay is controled by a switched source, the accessories will always automatically turn off when the car is off. I would also ground the accessories at a different location than the audio equipment just to avoid potential noise problems.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:10 AM
R.I.P Red-CL

Here's how I have it set up. I have an amp rack in which my amp and cap is mounted to. Both the amp and cap is facing the back of the sub enclosure. Based on what you guy are saying, I think I may mount the fan on the back of the sub enclosure w/ a little space in between to allow for airflow.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by keeena
IMO, this is not a good way too hook up fans or any similar accessory for that matter. If you are not using a relay on the radio's remote lead, then you may stress the radio's circuit and possibly burn it out. You may also introduce noise into the audio system (this is very common for things like fans and neon when operated on the same circuit close to the amps).

I'd suggest using the HU turn-on lead to turning on a separate relay for each item that will be turned on (all audio-related equipment like amps/eqs/etc...can be on the same lead).

*OR*

Use a switched power circuit (+12v when key is in acc and run, but 0v when key is removed) from the vehicle to turn on a relay for any accessories (fans/neon). This is slightly better IMO since you can operate the fans with the radio off. This can be helpful in case you want to shutdown the radio/amps due to overheating but leave the fans on.

Either option also more easily allows you to add a switch up front to let you manually turn off the accessory. And because the relay is controled by a switched source, the accessories will always automatically turn off when the car is off. I would also ground the accessories at a different location than the audio equipment just to avoid potential noise problems.

ur completly rite. i have a inline fuse in between the remote and power for the fans. is that ok?!
Old 08-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tpatel
ur completly rite. i have a inline fuse in between the remote and power for the fans. is that ok?!
OK how? If you're not getting any noise in your system and your not overloading the remote lead of the HU, then I guess you could call this OK. Its just not what I would do.

I'm not sure how well a fuse would help. I think that HU remote leads can supply up to 500 mA, but don't quote me...check the specs on your HU. So as long as you used an appropriate sized fuse, I guess that would help protect the HU from overloading. At the very least, you're putting the fuse in the wrong location. If you are going to go this route, you should put the fuse before the remote lead branches (it branches at the amp in your case). You should put the fuse at the HU.

But thats not really the point. The remote lead is a low current lead whos ONLY purpose to supply a switched signal and NOT to actually power accessories. I would be safe and just wire it the way I described in my other post.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:50 PM
R.I.P Red-CL

Can the fan be connected to the cap?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Can the fan be connected to the cap?

I can't tell if you are joking or not... The answer is "no, you shouldn't do that either".
Old 08-05-2004, 06:49 AM
R.I.P Red-CL

Thanks for the help keena but I wasn't joking. I could tell you anything about computers but not car install.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Boomer SOONER

serriously if you get a small fan just connect it directly to the amp like I said before. It doent take but a few watts to run so you amp really doesnt even know anything different.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:30 AM
My baby's daddy

I bought two fans from Parts Express. I prefer the "relay" install route to the "direct to remote turn on" choice. Its just a choice, after all.

Any suggections on where to get a relay? I gues Radio Crack is probably my best bet, huh?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Intermediate

a relay is 5$ or so and make take 15 min to install. better than ruin an expensive HU...

maybe it's a little overkill but I heard that if the remote is used for 3 or more component (making turning on amps or signal processors) it's better to use a relay to prevent overloading. i'm sure a fan is drawing more current than a amp or signal processor turn-on circuit
Old 08-16-2004, 04:50 AM
dun
10th Gear

NSX... Isnt it bad if you have the amp "TOO COOL". I mean if the product is meant to be at high temps. wouldnt too much cooling mess it up? I guess it would be alright if one is sucking in ano one is blowing out.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:28 PM
My baby's daddy

I don't believe in the car audio electronics realm, you have to worry about over cooling. As long as your cooling efforts aren't causing condensation to gather on the amps, cooler is better.

Now, if you live in wisconsin and you vent your amps to the cold air outside, you might be pushing it.

Also, don't pack you amps in ice. this is generally bad.