alternator noise on sound system....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 02:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
alternator noise on sound system....

My sound system used to sound okay....sometimes it still does. just need some input before i start checking it this weekend. let me explain. i have an alpine amp to power the main speakers and an mtx amp to power my sub. it's been workin fine till the past couple of weeks. there are times when i hit a road bump, all of a sudden i get this annoying alternator noise. sometimes it's not "hearable" if i turn the volume up. but there are times when it's pretty bad. yet when i hit another road bump, sometimes it disappears, sometimes it doesn't. what should i check for.....good ground on both amps....make sure they're tight? should i ground both amps at the same spot? i guess i should get a ground loop isolator from radio shack as well, right? any inputs....suggestions! silverknight...any advice? thanks! george
Old 10-05-2001, 03:12 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by icy CL:
<STRONG>My sound system used to sound okay....sometimes it still does. just need some input before i start checking it this weekend. let me explain. i have an alpine amp to power the main speakers and an mtx amp to power my sub. it's been workin fine till the past couple of weeks. there are times when i hit a road bump, all of a sudden i get this annoying alternator noise. sometimes it's not "hearable" if i turn the volume up. but there are times when it's pretty bad. yet when i hit another road bump, sometimes it disappears, sometimes it doesn't. what should i check for.....good ground on both amps....make sure they're tight? should i ground both amps at the same spot? i guess i should get a ground loop isolator from radio shack as well, right? any inputs....suggestions! silverknight...any advice? thanks! george</STRONG>
The odd part is about hitting road bump. I never experienced this kind of problem. If the alternator noise exists, it should be there all the time. Ground loop isolator would get rid of it. You should connect the amps' grounds to your at one point. Try the ground loop isolator from Radio Shack to see if you got rid of it. Oh yeah, put it on the alpine's inputs only ... you shouldn't hear the whine from the sub since MTX should have low pass filter on.
Old 10-05-2001, 03:31 PM
i like chicken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ground loop isolators are junk. dont get one, they dont fix the problem they only cover it up.

if you are hitting a bump and getting engine whine, check all your grounds it sounds like something is loose.

also, i hope you ran your rca's alone, and speaker and power alone? rca's pick up noise very easily.
Old 10-05-2001, 06:32 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by rmstoico:
<STRONG>ground loop isolators are junk. dont get one, they dont fix the problem they only cover it up.

if you are hitting a bump and getting engine whine, check all your grounds it sounds like something is loose.

also, i hope you ran your rca's alone, and speaker and power alone? rca's pick up noise very easily.</STRONG>
this is the first time I ever heard someone said something like this. How does a ground loop isolator cover up alternator's whine? Please explain. Thanks.