Aftermarket Rear Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 04:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Rear Speaker Question

Hey, I'm lookin' to buy new rear speakers also. Now, I don't know shit about speakers, so I'm probably saying this all wrong. But I read in a thread somewhere about how if you buy replacement speakers for the rear, they won't sound as good as the stockers b/c our stock amp puts out 4 ohms, whereas aftermarket speakers are usually 1 ohm speakers. Therefore if you want to get aftermarket speakers, you would need to buy an aftermarket amp also to go with your aftermarket speakers.

Now realizing that probably didn't make any sense, and not knowing what the hell I'm talking about, does anyone know what I'm getting at? I guess my question is, will I need a new amp to go along with new speakers for the rear? I'm in dire need of replacement, I already busted the rear right one.

Thanks,
Old 02-20-2002, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you go tthe idea...but the other way around. aftermarket speakers are usually 4ohms. the stock amp is about 1 ohm or something different from aftermarket. you can try replacing the rear speakers first and see if you like the way it sounds. there are a few in this board that have done that and are pleased with the sound improvement. if your not happy with it, you can replace the bose amp...but then you'll have to replace the front speakers too.....then that won't sound sufficient so you'll end up adding a sub. you know what i mean!! warning: once you change one part, you're likely to change a whole lot of other stuff cuz for some people, it just never is enough!!!