CL: aftermarket head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:40 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket head unit

i have a 2002 3.2 cl and i want to put in a new head unit (a pioneer AVH-P3200BT). ive done some research and found conflicting information with what an installer at best buy told me. most of what ive seen online says to use a PAC-OEM unit in order to dampen the output from the head unit so i dont blow the factory sub. however, the installer at best buy said all i need is an amp interface harness. which of the two do i really need so i dont blow the factory amp? the output of the head unit is certified at 22 watts RMS. thanks in advance
Old 05-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the head unit will not be outputting directly to the sub! It will be connected using RCA to the factory wiring which will then power the sub off its own amp.

And IMO, GREAT head unit choice (owned one), but keeping the stock sub is going to suck. I can build a simple and cheap 8-10" sub and put in a simple box, cost about $100 or less. Then just take a small amp (again, ~$100) and wire that sucker up. You will enjoy the sound a lot more than the stock sub could ever do for you.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:02 PM
3rd Gear

hey thank you for the quick reply but i had a typo. i meant to ask if it would blow the factory AMP not factory sub. im worried the output from the head unit will be too powerful going into the amp. how did you hook up the head unit when you had it? did you use an amp integration kit?

and i do have a kicker 12" comp already hooked up in the trunk and i love it
Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by bmchiz
hey thank you for the quick reply but i had a typo. i meant to ask if it would blow the factory AMP not factory sub. im worried the output from the head unit will be too powerful going into the amp. how did you hook up the head unit when you had it? did you use an amp integration kit?

and i do have a kicker 12" comp already hooked up in the trunk and i love it
You'll find it is actually not powerful enough, and the stock sub will barely output. This input is line-level not speaker level, and the factory amp wants a relatively powerful signal compared to what you're going to get from the 3200. I think i waited a week before I installed a REAL setup.

You need to ditch the stock sub, pull it out, and let that sub in the trunk BREATHE. Remember to cover the hole with something like speaker cloth, sometimes lights from the trunk poke through and make for some light shows in the rearview mirror.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:44 AM
3rd Gear

so all i need to hook up the head unit is an amp integration harness? (besides a fit kit for the dash) thats all i was wondering is what do i need in order to put in the head unit. im not worried about the factory subs' output, and i probably will take your advice and pull those out.

And by "REAL setup" do you mean just pulling out the factory subs?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Pro

No I installed a complete system with head unit, processor, active drivers, two amps, subs, etc.

What my signature is, basically.