Aftermarket Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool..Hope it works out..my screen has a slide feature too, but it still needed to come out more. In looking at pics of the OEM kit though, I noticed it seemed to not sit as deep as teh storage bin. Hopefully this is the case...if it works out great..I might change my install and use that kit too!

Here's my current install:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=pioneer+n1

Yeah...I'm stuck at work too..!! Can't wait to get in the TSX!! Fortunately...my stereo installs are done (for now) so the only left is to enjoy it!

I did just get an Injen intake though, that should be going on the car pretty soon!

Hey just saw your album...You're the one who I learned the remove tranmission cover trick with pliers from...! Haha...That really helped me a lot during my installs...good shit...man!
Old 11-15-2004, 02:18 AM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright! I finally installed the in-dash DVD player. It took longer than I thought it would..probably because I was working at a snail pace. But in any case, the OEM install kit was worth it. The brackets for it were a bit difficult to install, since the location of it makes it hard to tighten the nuts, but it is probably the most secure way to mount an aftermarket player.

Here are some pics

Placement of hideaway unit, underneath the passenger seat. The placement is perfect, and still allows for some movement of the seat forwards and backwards

Installed! First shot:

Here is a side view. It does not get in the way of the shifter

Closer side view..probably need some dusting

Corner view

Screen folding out. Plenty of clearance. I can actually place my hand on the shifter and still have the screen clear my hand!

TV in car:

Screen swiveled to driver. Notice the reflection of shift knob
Old 11-15-2004, 09:15 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Nice work! I like the way the

Where does the seat hit the tuner? In the back? Shim it, baby!

I notice that you just have the OE remote. It's probably time to get an aftermarket alarm and get a glass break sensor added, since you have a visible HU.

In the last pic it looks like the HU is not all the way in, or the trim ring is needed...you may need to shave the trim ring on a bench grinder to get the corners modded to fit.

How's it look closed?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:21 AM
INFORMATION ARCHITECT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
install looks good but the angle looks like the screen is tilted forward which I do not like. but a couple of questions. What is the max resolution I ask because I was wondering if you could connect a computer with the RGB input. or is the resolution not good enough to handle that?
Old 11-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Can't wait to drive

Originally Posted by elduderino
Nice work! I like the way the

Where does the seat hit the tuner? In the back? Shim it, baby!

I notice that you just have the OE remote. It's probably time to get an aftermarket alarm and get a glass break sensor added, since you have a visible HU.

In the last pic it looks like the HU is not all the way in, or the trim ring is needed...you may need to shave the trim ring on a bench grinder to get the corners modded to fit.

How's it look closed?
Thanks..I'm still tired from the install!

the seat does not hit the tuner (or the brain unit) at all. it has perfect clearance. behind the unit there is a spagetti of wires though, but none is visible. It's held on by velcro at the bottom, and it is very secure.

The OEM install kit opening is a bit wider as expected. I'll need to fix that later, pretty easy. since it's not all the time I take pictures with flash photography (which admitedly makes the gap looks like crap), it doesn't look bad at all in normal usage. the trim ring would NOT work since there is no space behind the Acura install kit plate, and I can't place it in front because the plate has a slight curvature (and it looks like crap also). More work later

Speaking of more work, I didn't have time to amplify the tv antenna, so a bit more work is ineeded.

I'll have to take a picture of it when closed. It looks very neat and tidy.

Thanks for all the comments!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Can't wait to drive

Originally Posted by tsass
install looks good but the angle looks like the screen is tilted forward which I do not like. but a couple of questions. What is the max resolution I ask because I was wondering if you could connect a computer with the RGB input. or is the resolution not good enough to handle that?
In the installed position, it is actually tilted backwards a bit relative to a vertical line from the ground. the only way to have it "tilt backwards" in the tsx storage bin compartment is to have the unit slide way out (probably 1-2 more inches) so that it will not hit the knobs and controls above when tilted backwards. I have no idea what resolution RGB input accepts since it does not mention that in th manual
Old 11-15-2004, 12:33 PM
VP Electricity

Bases on the number of pixels listed on a website selling this unit, it's a VGA-Wide LCD (480 x 700 appx).

It's probably has an RGB in for nav but unlikely for anything else... and the nav is probably a proprietary connector unusable for other things (?)
Old 11-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Can't wait to drive

The connector for the RGB input is proprietary. It is a round connector. There are no diagrams for the pinouts though...
Old 11-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Nice install...I like the way it looks!! Does it look like it would be possible to change the depth of the mount to pull the deck out about 1 inch? Based on the instructions I believe you would just change the set of screws that are mounted to sides of the deck.

Could you post a pic with the LCD closed and the NOT an Ashtray closed. I wanna see how it looks!

Also, make sure that there is no rubbing when you move the seat. Is the brain under the passenger seat?

Other than that...very nice man! Thanks for all the great pics!
Old 11-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Hey let me know if you need a set of amplified diversity antennas. I have some old Kenwood ones, that I'm probably willing to get rid of.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Racer

anyways of getting a pic from the drivers eye view?? like the camera looking as if it were your eye.

I just want to see how the screen looks from the top cause from the looks of it it might be to far back but i may be wrong.

very nice install btw

ps. im trying to figure out how to install mine so more pics would greatly help thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Can't wait to drive

Here are some more pictures as requested:

Screen as viewed from driver seat (or close to it):

Picture of player when screen is folded away:

Picture with bottom door opened (requested pic)

Now that the gap is bothering me, I'm gonna have to do something to it soon..
Old 11-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

SWEEETT !!

I like the latest shots!! Very nice night shot with both screens showing.
The Gap isn't too bad.....I wouldn't let it bother you. Not a big deal IMO.

You have a MT, dang where are you gonna find time to play with the deck while driving...lol.
You might want to look into a wireless phone set too. You have a lot of stuff going on, so it's gonna be hard to do it all at once! Trust me...I have an AT, and I barely have enough hands sometimes. Be safe man.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Can't wait to drive

Did I mention that I drive in traffic to work also? I now keep my screen folded in when I'm driving when listening to mp3s, and only play with it when I'm stopped in traffic.

Thanks for the comment and suggestions everyone, it really helped with my install.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by Arcticcl9
Did I mention that I drive in traffic to work also? I now keep my screen folded in when I'm driving when listening to mp3s, and only play with it when I'm stopped in traffic.

Thanks for the comment and suggestions everyone, it really helped with my install.
Thatz cool man. I keep mine folded away a lot too. The mp3 functionality is great! When I'm on the way to work I'm using running late...so I'm zoomin and I don't like to try to watch anything. On the way home though....I'm usually crusinin slow so I catch shows sometimes. The freeway is pretty empty though, so it's not bad. If I hit traffic though, itz back to music only though! I try to stay safe, my car is only like 3 months old!

No problems...on the suggestions....Enjoy man!
Old 11-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Future Seminole

just thought of a way to use steering wheel controls for the iPod, but im not sure i wanna go this route. i could buy this http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=T6921ZM/A , which is a wireless remote to control the iPod, and then use the PAC SWI-X to learn the frequencies for skipping tracks, and then use the head unit for the volume frequency and and mode. although i dont know if i wanna dedicate the skip functions just to my iPod, and then lose them for radio station searching and what not....
Old 11-30-2004, 06:12 PM
VP Electricity

I believe that PAC has a version of that which lets you keep your OE functions and add one item. Not sure how it works but that's what their website said.

The SWI-V converts the steering wheel radio buttons to 'DUAL' multipurpose controls. The SWI-V allows control of an aftermarket Audio/Video system using the vehicle’s factory steering wheel radio controls, while maintaining normal control and operation of the factory stereo. The interface will control most audio and video products that have an IR remote control. A remote IR emitter attaches to the front of the Audio/Video IR window. The SWI-V solves the problem of lost remotes in a vehicle and it allows the driver to control the video system without taking his/her hands off the wheel or eyes off the road.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/swi.htm
Old 11-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Future Seminole

damn... didnt see that one when i bought the SWI-X. but thats arite, i think i may give the skip buttons to the iPod. very rarely do i ever listen to the radio cause it sux, and even if i do, it wouldnt be for that long. and im sure depending on the install, it might be easy to change if i ever got tired of it.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Future Seminole

fcuk, due to recent events, i dont have the funds for the installation. this means one of two things. DIY, or wait for some flow... damn, that makes me soo mad. i was hoping to have it installed this weekend, but now i cant pay for it.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:38 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Damn...! That's alright man....Just keep us posted when you get it in!

I got a great idea for you. With Christmas coming ask for one of these cards:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2aF1Qh5...&avf=N&search=

It's basically a gift card for car stereo installs. Make sure they have a good installer in your area from the list though before you ask for one of these. If you can find one...try to get that for Christmas!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Polar Chicken

Price of the mp3 mounting kit

Ok I give up on trying to preserve the cubby, your install look awsome, nice and clean. Where did you order the mp3 mounting hardware and how much did you pay? Or am I going to need to order this from Acura.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Future Seminole

ouch, the harsh realization... it hasnt gotten to me yet, but i think its useless trying to keep the bin. im just gonna bring my whole job to a professional installer to make a custom harness i guess. with all that space i could have my bass knob put in and maybe a switch for my underdash neons. if it matched the trim it would probably look pretty nice. although it leaves quite a bit to the installer to play around with.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:19 AM
Can't wait to drive

The part that I ordered is the Player Attachment kit, part # 08B06-SEC-210

I got it from acuraparts247.com. Their price is $78.20 + s/h. You might be able to save a bit if you shop around, but their website has fairly low pricing compare to other dealers. If you were holding off, you were probably put off by the steep price. I was hoping I could save money by fabricating my own mount, but the end result is worth it by the looks and how secure it mounts.

It comes with more parts that you need..you are basically paying the price for the steel mount. There are extra screws that you'll need, and an extra cable that is useless in the kit unless you are installing the Acura OEM player.

Here is another picture of the install. I tilt the display back one more degree so that the monitor now rests between the two audio dials perfectly, but without pressing against the buttons on the dash. The two purple lights you see are the two 1' UV CCFL blacklights that I installed into the foot area

Old 12-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Polar Chicken

Keeping the Bin

I tried to keep my bin, I dremmeled the piss out of mine, it just is not wide enough by about 4mm. I am going to order this today.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Polar Chicken

Part 08B06-SEC-210

Hmm, Dealer in Florida $72.
Dealer in Seattle $110
Dealer in Bellevue $90 (Dealers are about 12 miles apart)
Old 01-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Arcticcl9
The part that I ordered is the Player Attachment kit, part # 08B06-SEC-210

I got it from acuraparts247.com. Their price is $78.20 + s/h. You might be able to save a bit if you shop around, but their website has fairly low pricing compare to other dealers. If you were holding off, you were probably put off by the steep price. I was hoping I could save money by fabricating my own mount, but the end result is worth it by the looks and how secure it mounts.

It comes with more parts that you need..you are basically paying the price for the steel mount. There are extra screws that you'll need, and an extra cable that is useless in the kit unless you are installing the Acura OEM player.

Here is another picture of the install. I tilt the display back one more degree so that the monitor now rests between the two audio dials perfectly, but without pressing against the buttons on the dash. The two purple lights you see are the two 1' UV CCFL blacklights that I installed into the foot area

I am wondering how do you supply the power and wire it to the aftermarket unit, does anyone have a diagram or adapter who can recommend?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Wow, this is sweet. I really want to install the DVD and perhaps aftermarket Navigation under my existing factory deck. However, I have some questions to ask you about this.

1. Since I have got the usa spec pa11-hon2y for my AUX input, do you think I can tap the wire to power the aftermarket headunit? I need power like 12V, ACC, etc.

2. Is there a Y-harness I can buy to smooth the installation process if I already have usa spec pa11-hon2y installed?

3. When using the usa spec pa11-hon2y's AUX in, which audio cable should I attach too? Front speaker or rear speaker or there are other options.

Your answers are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

You sounds a bit confused man You have 2 options to go aftermarket:
1. New HU in the pocket sends its audio-out signal into the stock HU. (most people do this).
2. Cut the stock HU harness and splice it into a wiring harness you can get off eBay to plug in your aftermarket HU as your only HU. IMO, you'd have to be crazy to do this, but that doesn't seem to stop some people.

The usa spec allows an auxiliary and ipod input into the factory head unit. That is all. That being said, it could be very useful for this.

Your aftermarket HU will come with a harness to connect EIA color coded wires to it. What you will likely do, is give it +12v switched from the battery, ground, and antenna connections, and anything else that is bare minimum. There is no plug-n-play harness to help you here, you will have to make these connections. Ignore all of its speaker connections. Then, utilize its aux pre-out to input to the usa spec, which pipes it into the stock HU for playing. This is the easiest way i can think of to add a new HU to your stock HU, and be able to use both of them effectively.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Intermediate

Reach, thanks again for your reply.

That's exactly what I was trying to do here. The auxilliary of the USA Spec pa11-hon2y can be used for the aftermarket stereo and I probably can by a speaker wire to RCA to do the work. However, since you said there will be no plug-and-play connector to help me split the power and ACC from the stock HU, I guess I will have to tap it. I guess what I am trying to do here is to install Pioneer AVIC-N3 in the pocket and find power and switch wire for it and use USA Spec's auxillary input for the sound. Do you think this is doable? Thanks a lot, Reach.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator

You sound like you've just about got the idea. For the specifics, check out the electrical manual for the TSX. It will run you about $60, but its worth every penny, and details every last connector and wire in the car.

You said something about speaker to RCAs... no! Use the HU's pre-out (it will also be an RCA) and just a straight stereo RCA patch cord to connect it to the usa spec. This is a fixed line-out signal, which is what you want. You don't want a variable signal going to the usa spec, ie: the speaker outputs. Good luck man!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Intermediate

Thank you again, Reach.

I've found this in one of your posts and it illustrates a great detail of the stock connector and its definition. Can you please tell me which book did you extract this page? Thanks.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Electrical Technical Manual (ETM). That's for 2006 only, I don't know what year you have. 04/05 is quite different.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:48 AM
10th Gear

Quick question guys, has anyone added a aftermarket HU to a 2006 TSX that doesnt have a navi?

because taking that out and putting a regular deck in would just look horrible.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Clueless About Car?!

Smile

Arcticcl9 i think youre the master at doing this whole aftermarket headunit here so far ok now im desperately need some input...i had a 2006 Honda ridgeline, i put it A Alpine IVA-D310 with alpine TV tunner, ok so what do i need to get this done? i need to be able to explain it to the stereo shop that im gonna bring it in to, what do i need get first? i understand that i have to get the kit for the optional Mp3 player for the TSX..by the way i have 07 TSX 5speed no Navi so if u dont mine listing the stuff that i need that would be alot of help thank you! i live in Socal too so if u can install it for me that would be so perfect! LOL im sorry im lost when it comes to wiring and all that! i would die to have your setup.....

well heres a pic of the head unit still on the Honda ridgeline kit

tell me that this will work? thank you!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Cruisin'

AUX input SNHOND3

Hey guys,

I've quickly searched the threads, but can't find anything on accessing the rear of the Head Unit.
I have an 05 tsx and I just need to install my SNHOND3 for an AUX mp3 input.
Can someone please post a link for this.
Any help would be much appreciated!