Aftermarket Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No...you will not be able to control any of the Ipod functions with the deck. That's why I suggested the Alpine Ipod interface at first. Unfortunately, you can't really have both. Either you go the route that you have already planned and interface directly with the Ipod just you have been OR you get the Alpine Ipod interface and control everything from the deck

Yes you will need a Belkin Charger or any other charger for the Ipod. What do you currently use to charge the Ipod? Or do yo just charge it when you get home?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Future Seminole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well damn. i guess now it just makes it that much cheaper, of course i already ordered the PAC steering wheel unit, do you think ill be able to return it? probably shoulda waited to order it, but ill take care of it. in any case, i dont really like the interface from the deck, so im gonna go ahead and go the route of the AUX adapter. also saves me from buying the $100 kca-420i
as for the charging, right now i just let it sit in the cradle and charge at nite, and then during the day i just take it in my car. ive found that the iPods battery is not that long lasting as i thought it would be, so a car charger makes sense, it sucks building your entire system around an iPod with a dead battery. is a GLI needed with the car charger?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:51 PM
Future Seminole

hmmm... further thought brings up questions of clean iPod install, i dont want more than one wire comming into my iPod. ive seen some installs on here, ill have to look again to see how they were done.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Future Seminole

seems ortiz did the install with the belkin car charger which uses only 1 wire to connect, so ill pick that up. of course once i figure one thing out im left with another question. when the iPod is plugged into the charger, does it turn off when you turn the car off, and turn on when you turn the car on?
Old 11-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by acuratsx03
well damn. i guess now it just makes it that much cheaper, of course i already ordered the PAC steering wheel unit, do you think ill be able to return it? probably shoulda waited to order it, but ill take care of it. in any case, i dont really like the interface from the deck, so im gonna go ahead and go the route of the AUX adapter. also saves me from buying the $100 kca-420i
as for the charging, right now i just let it sit in the cradle and charge at nite, and then during the day i just take it in my car. ive found that the iPods battery is not that long lasting as i thought it would be, so a car charger makes sense, it sucks building your entire system around an iPod with a dead battery. is a GLI needed with the car charger?
Yes you will need a GLI. You will get ground noise if you don't...and you do not want ground noise! Be very careful with the placement of the GLI, if you get it too close to some parts behind the center console you will get interference.

Also, keep in mind that even though you are building around the Ipod you still can play mp3 discs and CDs on the factory head unit. You might even want to put some of your favorite mp3s from the Ipod on a single disc. I'm guessing the CD will sound better than anything that is hooked up via the AUX.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:51 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

seems ortiz did the install with the belkin car charger which uses only 1 wire to connect, so ill pick that up. of course once i figure one thing out im left with another question. when the iPod is plugged into the charger, does it turn off when you turn the car off, and turn on when you turn the car on?
I'm not sure if it will turn off, you should post a question on the forum or just PM Ortiz directly. Only a current user will know the answer for sure. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Future Seminole

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Also, keep in mind that even though you are building around the Ipod you still can play mp3 discs and CDs on the factory head unit. You might even want to put some of your favorite mp3s from the Ipod on a single disc. I'm guessing the CD will sound better than anything that is hooked up via the AUX.

you mean the alpine head unit? the stock head unit will not be used at all. and i dont think the aux will sound that bad. just recieved the alpine rca line out adapter today. nothing more exciting than coming home to a brown box at your door knowing its for my system. and my subs should be shipped out tomorrow... cant wait!!

now i have to look into the belkin car charger, another 40 dollars plus a GLI which is at least 15 from radio shack. i just keep dropping money... doesnt anyone want the amp or 6x9s im selling?!!?!??!
Old 11-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Future Seminole

woohoo! just got the head unit today!!! man, it sure is beautiful! it doesnt quite fit in the bin under the stock hu because its a bit too wide, but the sides of the bin can be shaved down and then it should fit nicely.
also, i just bought the belkin auto charger of ebay for 26 bucks, not bad at all... now i just have to wait for everything to come
Old 11-03-2004, 07:09 PM
2004 TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woohoo! just got the head unit today!!! man, it sure is beautiful! it doesnt quite fit in the bin under the stock hu because its a bit too wide, but the sides of the bin can be shaved down and then it should fit nicely.
also, i just bought the belkin auto charger of ebay for 26 bucks, not bad at all... now i just have to wait for everything to come
Don't shave the bin! As far as I can tell (and I haven't had it appart myself), you can pull the bin out, then you'll have all the room you need. The alpine SHOULD fit in there almost exactly like the OEM mp3/cassette player things would. So you'd need to make a faceplate, and maybe some brackets...Unless there's a OEM/aftermarket install kit?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:23 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
YOu can buy the trim plate mounting bracket for that MP3 player. Find the instructions at HandAaccessories.com and the PN is in there... then just call the parts counter (which is what I did to make sure it was available back in the day).
Old 11-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Future Seminole

unfortunatley its not a perfect fit. with the bin in, the head unit is about 1 - 2 cm (estimate), if that, too wide, and then when you take it out its not wide enough.
im not too sure if i want to use the OEM mp3 thing cause i dont really want the head unit sticking out like that. i really liked the idea of having it hidden behind the bin's door. ill take a closer look tomorrow and maybe take some pics to show you guys the fitment.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:14 PM
Future Seminole

well, since i had nothing better to do, i went out and took a few shots...

the head unit is resting on the shift knob, so its pretty ghetto eyed right there. but you can see that theres not a lot that would need to be shaved down. and in the space above or under it the installer could put a little panel and put my bass knob there, and maybe rewire my underdash neons to a switch next to the bass knob. hmmm... that would be nice
Old 11-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

08B06-SEC-210 for the MP3 attachment kit. The only problem is this does not have a closing door like the storage bin. You're deck with always be visible.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

It doesn't look like a lot needs to get shaved down, but if you notice you will basically need to cut a section of the entire side walls of the storage compartment. The walls of the compartment are not very thick and they also contain the hinges that help the door open and close properly.

I wonder how Vloskov mounts the aftermarket DVD players that are used for the Navi-to-DVD conversions.

By now, maybe he has some type of kit you could maybe by from him for the mount. Other wise, I think you're going to need to do a lot of work to be able to trim the sides and retain the door open/close functionality. I hope that it's not that hard, cause I'm sure there's lots of people who would love to do the same thing as you.

You might even want to think about buying an additional storage bin. That way you have something to go to in case...everything doesn't quite work out. There was a member on here that will sell his for $25 shipped. NOt sure if he still has it, but let me know if you want his member name.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:46 PM
Future Seminole

hmmm... ill have to look into vloskov's stuff. as for the extra bin i guess it wouldnt really hurt to have, but right now im not at liberty to spend another $25 unless i totally have to. but sure, lemme know whos selling it and ill look into it... always helpin me out, thanx
Old 11-03-2004, 09:55 PM
VP Electricity

I seriously doubt he's got a kit, as there's a lot of up-front tooling - not true for his other projects.

That DVD player he had in the photo was NOT a DIN/ISO head unit form factor - close, but not one (common in DVD players). Won't be of much assistance, I'm afraid.

I would be OK with setting up the door to be a removable cover...
Old 11-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Can't wait to drive

I have just purchased a 1 DIN dvd player (retractable LCD) and I got the Acura OEM install kit, and awaiting shipment. I probably have to modify the install kit a bit to fit the aftermarket DVD player. I'll be interested at what you guys are doing, and I'll show some pics of my work once I get the parts in.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by Arcticcl9
I have just purchased a 1 DIN dvd player (retractable LCD) and I got the Acura OEM install kit, and awaiting shipment. I probably have to modify the install kit a bit to fit the aftermarket DVD player. I'll be interested at what you guys are doing, and I'll show some pics of my work once I get the parts in.

Cool man...Keep us posted. I've been very curious about how well a DVD player or single Din player fits into the OEM mp3 attachment kit!
Old 11-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by elduderino
I seriously doubt he's got a kit, as there's a lot of up-front tooling - not true for his other projects.

That DVD player he had in the photo was NOT a DIN/ISO head unit form factor - close, but not one (common in DVD players). Won't be of much assistance, I'm afraid.

I would be OK with setting up the door to be a removable cover...
I see...I didn't realized he didn't use a standard DIN sized DVD player. That changes...a lot!
Old 11-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Can't wait to drive

I'm suprised no one else on the boards have tried it yet, but I'm excited to try this out. My parts are coming in next week, so I'll probably spend the following weekend installing it. I have done many mods to my car, like custom fitting speakers into the doors, installing an amp, and adding a subwoofer myself. I'm gonna have fun doing this install
Old 11-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I'm suprised no one else on the boards have tried it yet, but I'm excited to try this out. My parts are coming in next week, so I'll probably spend the following weekend installing it. I have done many mods to my car, like custom fitting speakers into the doors, installing an amp, and adding a subwoofer myself. I'm gonna have fun doing this install
Cool man...you should read the stickies that Elduderino put up. I was very very close to using the mp3 attachment kit for my install a couple of months ago, but I ended up getting a custom mount in the storage bin instead. My deck had a flip out screen so I was worried the attachment kit wouldn't quite work for me. Since you're in just a deck with no screen...I don't think you will have any problems. Just make sure to post pics!

Also do you have the install instructions? If you don't, let me know. I can tell you where to get them.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I just reread your post up top. You do have a screen on the deck you got. You're install is even more interesting to me.

You definitely gotta post some pics when you're done!

Good Luck !
Old 11-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Can't wait to drive

Thanks! I also have a hideaway unit for the DVD player (that has all the inputs/outputs and the built-in am) that I'm going to install underneath the passenger seat. On top of that, I'll need to install the antenna into the rear window. That means I'll have to remove the center compartment where my elbow goes, and the rear seats to run the antenna wires. I did the same thing when I installed the amp for my subwoofer.

It will be a long, busy weekend, but I'm very excited already!
Old 11-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

You can get it done... you might end up going into the city, tho...

I think at present there is only ONE Alpine unit with XM built-in...

Be aware the line gets upgraed at CES in Jan... and sale prices might ensue... new units ship in Feb to April, depending...

I work at Best Buy and they are going to start carrying Alpine in our stores for the first time in February.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Can't wait to drive

Here is an update on my Headunit install. I got both my DVD in dash player and the OEM install kit. From the looks of things, it should fit perfectly without any modifications! The headunit mounts to the install kit easily and securely. The only thing I notice are two small gap to the left and right of the headunit. I thinkt he Acura audio kit opening is slightly larger than a typical 1 DIN device. It's not bad at all, and a little tape should suffice. . I should have some pictures posted soon.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:01 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by kaliraver69
I work at Best Buy and they are going to start carrying Alpine in our stores for the first time in February.
FYI, that's in spite of the crew's skills, not because of them.

Best Buy with upper-end Alpine products is like, in the words of Eddie Izzard, " a monkey with a gun".

But ALPS is public and has to hit their numbers...
Old 11-11-2004, 03:11 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
monkeys with guns are cool
Old 11-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Here is an update on my Headunit install. I got both my DVD in dash player and the OEM install kit. From the looks of things, it should fit perfectly without any modifications! The headunit mounts to the install kit easily and securely. The only thing I notice are two small gap to the left and right of the headunit. I thinkt he Acura audio kit opening is slightly larger than a typical 1 DIN device. It's not bad at all, and a little tape should suffice. . I should have some pictures posted soon.
Nice man! I hope it all works out. I was thinking it would, but I was basing everything on theory and pics. I'd definitely like to see your pics when you're done!
Old 11-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Can't wait to drive

Originally Posted by jiggaman
monkeys with guns are cool
Is this a PWing or TJing? Maybe it's both
Old 11-12-2004, 01:16 AM
Can't wait to drive

Okay, I got a few picture up. Right now I've already mounted the Acura OEM install kit hardware on it. I put the front plate on also, so I get a good glimpse at what it should look like once I mounted into the TSX:

DVD player mounted with OEM install kit, with OEM plate. Front view. Notice the very slight gap on the left and right of the DVD unit:

DVD player mounted with OEM install kit, with OEM plate. Aspect view.

DVD player with screen folded out. Screen slid forward. Tilt angle not determined yet.

Hideaway unit has plenty of inputs. 2 A/V inputs, cd changer input, rearview camera, speakers and preamp outputs

Screen with TV tuner image.

Old 11-12-2004, 09:59 AM
VP Electricity

BTW< I would put that tuner box outside the console area (if it even fit). I woudl NOT want it near the Airbag ECU, for example.

If it's not going in the trunk, you might consider under the carpet on the pass side against the foot area. The carpet backing is hard plastic. You'd lose an inch or 2 of legroom...
Old 11-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Can't wait to drive

I've planned on removing the passenger seat and mounting that hideaway unit under that. Depending on the amount of space there, it might or might not be exposed. I don't think I have enough wiring for the proprietary connector to reach the trunk..And I have enough things in the trunk already (navi dvd, subwoofer)
Old 11-12-2004, 10:10 AM
VP Electricity

When I put the JL 300/4 under there I had to shim the rear two bolt plates up 3mm each with washers. The points that it was hitting most were on the outside edges of the amp (13 and change inches long) so the Pana tuner will probably fit fine. There is also a foot bracket that comes down like a stirrup at the back of the seat and prevents R passenger feet from going too far under the seat (I assume in an airbag event their toes would be blown off by the gunpowder explosion). If the bracket is hitting that, you will need to shim also, but I think it's OK.

I would point the RCAs forward to make them harder to be damaged. It's also harder to check/mess with them, but a lot of RCAs have been broken due to R seat floor items being kicked into them, etc.

You'll remove the R seat foot heater duct (comes out easy). There's a rubber plug underneath the duct with a huge rubber fin on it - it holds up the duct. You may need to trim this rubber nub on the plug.

I think you can do all this with the seat unbolted and the seat remaining plugged in. If you unplug the seat, do it with the key off, and plug it back in before turning key on. This procedure avoided any Airbag light error codes for me.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Can't wait to drive

When I ....
Thanks for all the advice! It will be helpful when I install it. The HU should be a straightforward, but he hideaway unit will probably be the most difficult. The only problem I see with the RCA ports pointing in is management and access of those ports.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Check to make sure that the screen has enough clearance to flip up. You might want to adjust the depth of the mount based on how far you want to be able to tilt the screen.

Otherwise, looks like it's gonna work great for you. The hideaway is gonna be a little harder since it's kinda big. It's bigger than the one on my Pioneer N1. Follow eld's advice and I'm sure you'll get it though!

Don't forget to post finished pics along with a side view of the deck so we can see the tilt angle of the screen. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Can't wait to drive

Here are a few more pics of the unit until I can get more

DVD playback

TV Tuner..image is very sharp!

MP3 playback
Old 11-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Nice deck!
How much was it? Is it touch screen? Does it have a RGB In for Navi?
Old 11-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Can't wait to drive

Price was around 880..
I wanted a unit that has plenty of inputs/outputs and tv tuner. There are comparable units that can do that to the stock TSX navi screen, but the quality is very poor (blurry), and this only costs bit more and I get so much more, and very nice looking.

No touch screen, actually good since I don't want to keep touching the screen that low while driving. And I have the stock NAVI..let me tell you I don't use the touchscreen that often either. I prefer the joystick, it keeps the fingerprints off. It can also do swivel (tilt left and right)

there is RGB in for NAVI on the headunit, but I'm not sure how that works with navi system. Nor do I care since I already have the stock NAVI.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Nice man....since it's swivels left and right...you should make sure to take that into account when you mount it. It's gonna need more clearance behind the screen in order to move left and right.

What r u doing still here?!! You should be out at your car working right now!! haha..jk
Old 11-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Can't wait to drive

HAHA I wish I can go, still stuck at work. I can't wait to get it installed. The screen has a slide feature, so it should have plenty of clearance. If not, I can adjust it last minute.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Head Unit