Advice on sound system...What sounds good in the CL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on sound system...What sounds good in the CL?

Hey guys. I just got my 2.2CL and the first thing I want to do with this car is get a great stystem in it. But...I'm not sure what to look for.

I know that I really like the eclipse subwoofer, gives great bass but I'm not sure exactly what I want to get for the rest of my system, head unit, amp, speakers, not sure what I want for those.

I listen to a ton of different music styles, ranging from hip hop to country to pop to rock so I need a system that will have a good range with all styles.

What I'm lookin for is just advice on what you guys have and what you think would work well. I go to tweeter for most all of my audio needs, I like their high-end quality. Just lemme know what you guys think, thx
Old 02-27-2005, 08:20 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome! first of all, what is your budget? having this, we can help you find the best components for the money. Also, do you want to watch DVD's or have extra screens behind the headrests? that might be more and require a slightly different setup.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:28 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Well...lets see...The Top Brands that I recommend are JL Audio & MB Quartz...

And for a Headunit... If you looking for one w/ a Navi & DVD screen I suggest.. Pioneer Avic N1...

If just a Headunit... I suggest Alpine...
Old 02-27-2005, 08:58 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dark DJ
welcome! first of all, what is your budget? having this, we can help you find the best components for the money. Also, do you want to watch DVD's or have extra screens behind the headrests? that might be more and require a slightly different setup.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Pro

resonant engineering subs...they bump like a mofo
Old 02-27-2005, 09:23 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by robeaneee
resonant engineering subs...they bump like a mofo

hmm haven't heard of those...
Old 02-27-2005, 09:35 PM
VP Electricity

THey are good subs and are mostly if not only online...

But like ALL products, they depend on installation to sound good. Lotta stuff can sound good.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, money right now is an issue jsut because I shelled out almost everything to get the car in the first place so its going to be a while before I have the money to actually do anything that is suggested but I'd like to know what I'm saving for so I know how much I'm gunna need.

I'd really love to get a dvd/cd player but the money that is involved with that is alot. I'm think maybe I will upgrade everything except for the headunit so that I can save for a while to get a good solid dvd/cd head unit. How much would that cost? You guys know I'm looking for clear sound that can adapt to alot of different music styles.

What do you think about the eclipse subs? Have you heard them and what do you think of their sound? I really enjoy them, they have a great bass.

So basically guys, start shootin out some numbers for amps, and good speakers that fit in the cl, and possibly subs as well. Also, if you can just give me ideas on dvd/cd player prices as well that'd be awesome, just so I can get an idea of what I'm going to be paying. Money isn't a huge issue, if its high quality, I'll save up enough to get it. But let's not go crazy here. thx guys
Old 02-27-2005, 10:01 PM
El Presidente

im a fan of JL Audio subs and amps. I'd get a 300/4 for all your speakers and then a 500/1 or 250/1 for your sub. Ive got a 12W3v2 sub right now which doest he job, but it doesnt hit as hard as id like, so im thinkin of upgrading to possibly a 12W6v2. Elduderino has more experience w/ speakers than i do, so wait for his suggestion on those.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

all those numbers make no sense to me, which is od cuz I used to do audio, I'm surprised I forgot that much lol
Old 02-28-2005, 03:09 AM
Pro

i think you should also take into consideration that your box/enclosure for your sub matters a lot if you want it to "sound good"...prefabricated boxes won't sound nearly as good as an ABC box for example...i have a custom made ABC box and i must say, my friends' pre-fab boxes don't even compare...you can make your 12 sound like a 15 easy.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dark DJ
hmm haven't heard of those...
Here's a pic of my RE XXX

One of the best subs hands down.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

I was planning on gettin a custom made sub box. Once I get enough money I'm gunna shoot over to tweeter and go take a look and listen to a bunch of subs. How much does that sub above run for?
Old 02-28-2005, 03:03 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by Madeline
Here's a pic of my RE XXX

One of the best subs hands down.

oh yeah! ive seen those before
Old 02-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Pro

yea RE subs are up there in quality...and suprachica check out their website for more info.... www.reaudio.com

custom boxes will run you to up to 150 as well depending on their quality....that's how much my ABC box was
Old 02-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

still can't seem to find prices of them tho...what's the range and would I need one or 2 re xxx's for my car? what size would you reccommend?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Pro

1 12 inch XXX should be way more than enough bass for you, unless you're deaf. those XXX's bump very hard...i believe theyre around 250 a pop if i remember correctly...try looking on ebay. a 10 inch shouldnt sound too bad either
Old 02-28-2005, 11:36 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by robeaneee
1 12 inch XXX should be way more than enough bass for you, unless you're deaf. those XXX's bump very hard...i believe theyre around 250 a pop if i remember correctly...try looking on ebay. a 10 inch shouldnt sound too bad either

damn 250 each? thas not bad! i might have to look into those!
Old 03-01-2005, 07:25 AM
Advanced

Nope, I wish the XXX's were that cheap. My 15" was $429 shipped and a 12" is around $409. You won't even be able to find a used one for $250. People usually sell them for atleast $300 used.

You can also look at some of the lower models, like the SE and SX. Awesome subs!!!!

Yeah and one is enough for me. 2-XXX's would just be insane, not to mention all the power you would need to push them. Also, be prepared to upgrade your electrical system i.e HO Alternator, Deep cycle battery, Big 3.

Also look into SI Magnum D2's, IDMAX, Adire Brahmas.

If you want a 2 sub set up, 2 Magnums would just be sick, you'd be killin em!!!! I think they are around $300/sub- www.stereointegrity.com
Old 03-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

I think I remember the eclipse sub being around 300 a piece, do you kno if anyone carries them in the store, I'd hate to drop that much money n then not like them for the needs I have, although it sounds like that's impossible lol.

Once I get my clear corners and my tires done, the first thing I'm going to do is get my sub(s) and amp, then my speakers, and then my cd and possibly dvd player. Right now tires are at the top of my list since mine jsut arent grippin at all, they are awful in snow.

Ps.-Is there any RE sub that isn't good? lol, or any one of them that wouldn't supply my needs?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

just thought u'd like to see this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 03-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Ps.-Is there any RE sub that isn't good? lol, or any one of them that wouldn't supply my needs?
Nope, they are all great. Just depends on how much you want to spend, how many subs you want, room to work with, sealed or ported. How much power you want to feed them etc.

All the RE models are accurate.

Eclipse TI Subs are nice as well.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by suprachica79
just thought u'd like to see this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
That is rediculously cheap. A member from a car audio forum I belong to just sold the exact same size and model used for over $300. I dunno, don't really trust people with insanely low prices and 0 feedback. That's just my opinion.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Advanced

bWHAHAH.....just found out that it is a scam.....do not bid on that sub!!!!!

The guy that just recently sold his wrote this:

that fvcker stole my pics and my write up and
nearly screwed my legitamite auction...

thats my XXX in case anyone cares... on my kitchen
table...

i complained to ebay and they said they couldnt find
the listing... even though i sent them a LINK!!!!!!!?????????

what the crap...

oh well... mine sold... and for a pretty penny...

Here is another response:

i asked a question and this is his

You asked:
"so is this the XXX sub? nowhere in the description does it say that. also could i come pick it up?"

No, it is the RE model, and yes you can come pick it up and if you do I will throw in a ported box for $25, thanks -Shawn-

BTW, the member that just sold his, sold it for $371.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:56 PM
El Presidente

man eBay is still risky business
Old 03-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Well the RE's def. sound like high quality and high watt sub's, one 12 would prolly be plenty for what I need. I don't like to listen to music so loud that my ears hurt and I think that 1 12 would be more than enough. What is the most inexpensive RE sub made and what does it run for?
Old 03-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Pro

check the website for the lowest models..as for prices they shouldn't run you for more than 150..i have a friend that is a part of RE...so he made me a custom RE sub...only charged me 150 for it...also sold me the ABC box he made especially for the sub for 75...so if you're gonna get one of the lower entry subs...id say anywhere from 150-180 for the sub..and the box and amp can range widely in prices..depends on what kinda box (sealed/ported abc snailshell etc.) and how powerful of an amp u want...i suggest alphasonik amps..theyre cool and they give u lifetime warranty
Old 03-02-2005, 07:03 AM
Advanced

Here are the sub prices....add like $20 or so for shipping.

RE8- $49
RE10- $59
RE12- $69

SE10- $149
SE12- $169
SE15- $199

SX10- $239
SX12- $249
SX15- $269
SX18- $309

XXX10- $359
XXX12- $369
XXX15- $399
XXX18- $429

MT10- $409
MT12- $419
MT15- $449
MT18- $479

there is a $25 charge to upgrade the MT or XXX line to a quad voice coil
configuration.

Resonant Engineering is based out of Los Vegas, so if your in the area maybe you can pick it up directly from them. There are also dealers around, not too many. I still rather buy from the manufacturer.

As far a a box goes, just follow the box specs RE provides on their site. Take a Saturday. By a sheet of 3/4 MDF. If you don't have a table saw, sometimes even Home Depot or places like that can make cuts for you. You can even use a circular saw. Predrill the holes, put screws in every 3-4 inches. Wood Glue and caulk works great, some people use silcone. Just make sure everything is sealed correctly, make sure no air is leaking. Double up the front of the box where the sub cutout is, it's called a double baffle, for extra support. These RE subs are heavy. My 15" XXX weighs like 65 lbs or something. Also, I recommend ported, unless for some reason you don't have to much space to work with in the trunk(Ported boxes are bigger) and Tune it low like around 30 Hz. RE subs love those big ported boxes tuned low. My box is 4 cuft after all displacement.

As far as amps go, just make sure you get a reliable amp that puts out it's rated power. Make sure you match up the impedence of the sub to the amp's ohms. Ex- If you get a 2 ohm DVC sub make sure your amp does around the subs RMS wattage at 1 or 4 ohms, this way you can wire in series or parellel.

I personally went with a Soundstream VGA1600.2. It's 1600 watts bridged @ 4 ohms.

If you have any questions let me know.

Last edited by Madeline; 03-02-2005 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:38 AM
VP Electricity

"Just follow the box specs"... hilarity ensures.

If you use a circular saw get the fence attchment at Sears, etc., that gives you straight cuts...

I always use silicone - clear, not white, makes less mess, easier to clean up.

And when you're done, your character quotient will definitely go up.

Soundstream... I still debate whether to piss on their building if it were on fire, or piss on it anyway... corksucking iceholes.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Advanced

Soundstream... I still debate whether to piss on their building if it were on fire, or piss on it anyway... corksucking iceholes.
Why don't you like Soundstream, There newer stuff isn't the best since PA acquired them but you can't put down their older stuff like the reference and rubicon series. Some of the best amps ever made hands down.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:01 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by Madeline
Why don't you like Soundstream, There newer stuff isn't the best since PA acquired them but you can't put down their older stuff like the reference and rubicon series. Some of the best amps ever made hands down.
If I wasn't so tired I'd be more tactful, but bullshit.

I was a Soundstream rep in 1998. Ths was just before and during the Reference-Rubicon transition. I had every single dealer-many who were my friends personally - beating me like a red-headed stepchild every time I walked into their stores. And you know what they were beating me with? Stacks of UPS paperwork for all the Reference amps that had blown fucking up multiple times! Most of them were still carrying Soundstream ONLY so they could get their customer gear taken care of, because Soundstream knew that they told everyone they wouldn't help former dealers - they would treat them just like consumers.

The reason those guys got acquired is because they were broke, and the reason they were broke is that they pissed away a perfectly good brand image and market position by making and selling unreliable shite, and lying about it. Rubicon was supposed to save their asses, and we certainly pre-sold enough of it on that premise - that it fixed everything - but it didn't, and they basically didn't know how to build anything that didn't need a fire extinguisher in the box.

But they knew how to lie about it to try to get more sales to save their asses, and it didn't work - andnow they're gone. But I still hate those fuckers that ran the place, and I'd still pee on their building, because they lied to me, and they lied to my friends, and even if the only thing left is is logo and the look, it's still bad will they bought, not good.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm thinkin about the SE or the SX, prolly a 12incher, they both have alot of watts goin on there, the SE sounds like it has more than I need lol. And it's pretty cheap too

Ok, so we've basically decided on an RE sub, so let's start chattin bout the amp. What should I get that is reliable and can power up that system?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:03 PM
VP Electricity

Not trying to be a smartass, but you don't have a system description, you have a sub. Are you doing any other speakers? Might influence the amp choice, dunno.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Yea, I also want to upgrade my speakers but again, not sure what to look for or to go for. Any advice on that?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Advanced

elduderino,

I can tell you one thing my Reference 700S has never had a problem, built like a tank and does more then it's rated power. That's what i look for in an amp. And that's what I've got.(Actually gave it to my bro for xmas one yr....what a mistake) the amp has to be about 8 years old and I would still take this amp over alot of the crap that is out today. My friend also has a Reference 700sx and a 405 I believe. And they have been nothing but nice efficient amps for years. I actually never heard of anyone having serious problem with their reference or Rubicon series before the buyout. These amps can handle loads below 1 ohm, not many can before shutting off. Many car enthusiast and SS user were and are still impressed with these amps. however, I've heard a ton of horror stories after the buyout in 98. maybe that is what you are referring, i dunno. like after the buyout I heard they tried to use the same Rubicon board but alot of cheaper parts and they were constructed horribly.

And probably much to your surprise SS is making a come back with their new line. Many users love the VGA series and TR series. There stuff before this was crap like the Xstream and Edge etc. No big issues with the VGA series that I know of. One issue that a few members were complaining about was their input stage and how some RCA cables don't work. Oh and that their heatsink isn't that big so the amp tends to get a little hot. But so far so good, these amps look amazing, they are nice and big, impressed me when I opened them up and they can push my XXX just fine.

here are some brands that are worth checking into if you got that kinda money to spend:

US Amps, Arc Audio, Mcintosh, Zapco, Audison to name a few.

Last edited by Madeline; 03-02-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by suprachica79
I'm thinkin about the SE or the SX, prolly a 12incher, they both have alot of watts goin on there, the SE sounds like it has more than I need lol. And it's pretty cheap too

Ok, so we've basically decided on an RE sub, so let's start chattin bout the amp. What should I get that is reliable and can power up that system?
What's your price range?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:56 PM
VP Electricity

Madeleine, don't take this personally, but I don't care what your experience was with those amps - other than being glad YOURS didn't have smoke come out of them. Statistically, that's irrelevant, and from a QC stats point of view, the odds sucked, and so did Soundstream - especially during your high school years. I don't need you to have heard of it - I heard about it over two entire states, over and over, and I sold a lot of the refurbs SS was blowing out and selling over and over again to try to keep cash flowing. Why do YOU think they got acquired? Because their sales were so good? Why do they need to make a "comeback"? Comeback from what?

And where does your user info come from?

Look, you want me to say that any company that's having product problems wants to change and make better product - sure, I'll stipulate that's usually true. But if anyone is asking about what I would recommend, that brand is way off of the list. I'll talk anyone out of it that I can - for their QC history, and for their unethical behavior. As you point out, there are plenty of good amps without taking a chance on SmokeStack.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by elduderino
Madeleine, don't take this personally, but I don't care what your experience was with those amps - other than being glad YOURS didn't have smoke come out of them. Statistically, that's irrelevant, and from a QC stats point of view, the odds sucked, and so did Soundstream - especially during your high school years. I don't need you to have heard of it - I heard about it over two entire states, over and over, and I sold a lot of the refurbs SS was blowing out and selling over and over again to try to keep cash flowing. Why do YOU think they got acquired? Because their sales were so good? Why do they need to make a "comeback"? Comeback from what?

And where does your user info come from?

Look, you want me to say that any company that's having product problems wants to change and make better product - sure, I'll stipulate that's usually true. But if anyone is asking about what I would recommend, that brand is way off of the list. I'll talk anyone out of it that I can - for their QC history, and for their unethical behavior. As you point out, there are plenty of good amps without taking a chance on SmokeStack.
That's ok, we can agree to disagree. I'm gettin all my info from my expereince and car audio forums which have nothing but praises for the old SS products. That's really all that matters to me. You are amoung the very few that I have heard talk bad about the real Soundstream stuff. I always will hold the Reference and Rubicon series up their with the best of them, because I've seen them perform, I've seen them benched, and I've seen them last.

Sorry suprachica79, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Let me know if their is anything else you need help with. Let us know your budget and we will be able to give you more informed answers. Are you looking for SQ, SPL or SQL?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Pro

i suggest SQ..a high SPL isn't too necessary unless your goal is to rattle the shit out of your car
Old 03-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

ok, cuz idk wut either of those means lol

Quick Reply: Advice on sound system...What sounds good in the CL?