Added MP3 Changer to Factory Deck!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 09:37 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh randomwalk101 where did you get all those stuff? Is the link you put on the earlier post is where you get all that to work? I am kinda worry if i purchase online and when it arrive and i try to plug it in and it doesn't fit because it the wrong parts. Do you know what i mean. If you can confirm to me that link you post earlier is the right parts. Then I will purchase right away. Thank for all the trouble.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey Calvin,
yes, they are all the right parts that you will need. The adapter is made by a different company but does the same thing...and is about $50 cheaper than the Blitz. Anyways, good luck with the install...man 6 discs of mp3, it'll play for days non-stop

Originally posted by calvinpham74
oh randomwalk101 where did you get all those stuff? Is the link you put on the earlier post is where you get all that to work? I am kinda worry if i purchase online and when it arrive and i try to plug it in and it doesn't fit because it the wrong parts. Do you know what i mean. If you can confirm to me that link you post earlier is the right parts. Then I will purchase right away. Thank for all the trouble.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:35 AM
7th Gear

this setup doesn't make sense and is not very good if there is no way to navigate the folders. It's impossible to navigate through hundreds of tracks to find that one song. I'd be interested if there was some way to get the directories on the CD to work.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by DuBs_MinUs_ONE
this setup doesn't make sense and is not very good if there is no way to navigate the folders. It's impossible to navigate through hundreds of tracks to find that one song. I'd be interested if there was some way to get the directories on the CD to work.
Yeah, I don't think there is a way to look in a particular folder instantly like some high end MP3 system....You basically have to go through each song sequentially like with normal (regular) CD operation...ei hitting the +/- keys. To change from regular CD (or stock CD changer) to MP3 changer, hit CD key again from regular CD mode. To play particular disc on the MP3 changer, hit one of that preset button (used for regular changer or am/fm preset). Anyhow, considering the amount of music and keeping the stock look, and ease of install, I still think it's a worthwhile mod.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:38 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DuBs_MinUs_ONE

I ordered this changer for my car (and can't wait until it gets here!) and i'm looking at it this way, I'm getting a cd changer that plays mp3's and cd-r and cd-rw's that can adapt right to my factory radio. I just got my car and dont have an extra 300 to shell out for a head unit in addition to 300 + for a changer. I plan on getting the head unit later. Usually when i record my mp3's on a disc its a big collection of songs that I like ,either way you are getting more music for a lower price than any other changer.

Thanks for the links for the install guys. This is a simple mod!
Old 07-29-2002, 10:13 AM
Advanced

I just did this mod this weekend and everything is working fine!
Im so happy that someone tried this and discovered that it worked I wanted this changer really badly. I dont have a digital camera so no pics to post but its in.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:29 PM
Instructor

how will this work on a 2002 with the in-dash 6 cuz we cant press the CD button twice to switch to another changer. did the guy override the factory changer and just have it access the magazine changer in the back? how would he switch between the in-dash and the changer?
Old 07-30-2002, 01:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by bnaderi
how will this work on a 2002 with the in-dash 6 cuz we cant press the CD button twice to switch to another changer. did the guy override the factory changer and just have it access the magazine changer in the back? how would he switch between the in-dash and the changer?
Dude, I am 99.97% sure that u haven't bought/installed the yet...so you can sit there and press that CD button until tomorrow and nothing will happen...
Old 07-30-2002, 11:16 PM
Instructor

so ur tellin me that this is going to work? that if i add this changer and i press the CD button two times it will switch to it? can u explain how it gets connected to the head unit so it recognizes it? is there a dedicated input source for this that we dont know about?
Old 08-01-2002, 07:51 PM
Cruisin'

?????

ok, i have the Apline CD S630 - the one without the MP3 - i was thinking about returning it and getting the Apline CD S634, but i can't find that damn cable. I bet all you guys bought them. But i was wondering if anyone knew how to hook that one up.... I have the M-Bus adapter

Ryan Swann
Old 08-05-2002, 09:31 AM
Cruisin'

also, i am having so trouble trying to get behind my head unit, to plug in the cd changer. Can anyone help?

Ryan
Old 08-05-2002, 10:01 AM
Advanced

you really have to put your hand in there a little to connect the cable you might want to see if someone with smaller hands can reach back and pop it in for you.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:44 PM
3rd Gear

What is the purpose of the Blitz cable? Why not just connect the MP3 Changer to the Changer Input on the Head Unit?

(Rookie, TL 2002)

Esteban
Old 11-18-2002, 04:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Did anyone successfully tried this out on a 2002 TL/TLS ???? I'm talking about car model with 6 disc in dash changer..not the old single disc CD..thx.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by randomwalk101
Did anyone successfully tried this out on a 2002 TL/TLS ???? I'm talking about car model with 6 disc in dash changer..not the old single disc CD..thx.
OK, take this with a grain of salt...because I'm not talking about MP3 CD changers or Alpine equipment.

I have a 2003 TL-S with 6 disc in-dash CD. I recently installed a Pioneer XM tuner (model GEX-FM903XM). This unit includes an FM modulator for integration with factory HUs.

Instead of using the FM modulator (which diminishes SQ), I used a Blitzsafe HON/XM DMX PIO V.1 adapter cable. This plugs into the XM tuner's IP bus output and goes into the 14-pin CD changer port.

It works great! Press the CD button once for XM, and again for CD. The SQ is excellent.

I have no doubt that a Blitzsafe adapter for an Alpine CD changer would work well.

The only downside is that the Blitzsafe cable is quite short - as a result, the XM tuner had to be mounted underneath the front passenger's footwell.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Okay, let's me answer my own question concerning about the Alpine MP3 player (S634) with stock 2002 TL/TLS HU...yes, it 100% will work. Just installed it...Like others have said, press CD once, regular HU's CD changer..press CD again, Alpine MP3 changer kicks in...control songs/CD (disks) on the MP3 changer just like you do with stock..It's GREAT..
Old 11-18-2002, 10:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

i just installed that cd changer last week, i am very happy with it. the problem is when i put cd's that are a little scratched, start to skip when i turn up the subs. but its all good, i think im going to take the cd changer out of the trunk and put it inside my armrest compartment.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Randomwalk

Okay, let's me answer my own question concerning about the Alpine MP3 player (S634) with stock 2002 TL/TLS HU...yes, it 100% will work. Just installed it...Like others have said, press CD once, regular HU's CD changer..press CD again, Alpine MP3 changer kicks in...control songs/CD (disks) on the MP3 changer just like you do with stock..It's GREAT..
I'm curious as to how the Alpine player behaves if you play a CD with multiple directories (with subdirectories). Where does it find the first song? Does it step through all the subdirectories as you press the next track button? How many levels deep can it traverse a directory structure?

I've heard about mp3 players that won't even play an mp3 if isn't in the root directory of the CD. I assume this isn't the case here.....

From the Crutchfield website re: Alpine S634:

Compatibility: This changer is directly compatible with Ai-Net equipped Alpine changer controllers, and, when used with the optional KCA-130B adapter cable (sold separately), it will work with M-Bus (Mini-Bus) equipped Alpine changer controllers. When used with a M-Bus equipped controller, some MP3 functions, such as folder skip up/down, may not be available.

I'm not sure what this means, exactly, and if it is related to my question above...
Old 11-20-2002, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Kennelm,
Okay, it WILL work with M-bus or AiNET. There is a switch on the changer that allows you to switch from Mbus to AiNet so you can configure it to be compatible with your HU. WIth stock HU, you need to set it on setting #2 (M-bus). You will need the KCA-130b to convert wire from AiNET to MBUS connector (to hook up to MBus HU) as well as an adapter like BlitzSafe or Peripherals (I am using -> cheaper).

As far as MP3 playing, there is a diagram as in the manual as to which will get played first. If I remember correctly, all mp3 files in root CD will be played first then it steps down to the next folder in alphabetical order (or was it the order it was burned on the CD?) and play all of those, and subsequential folder inside it etc... then step out and plays the next folder in root and so forth...Please don't quote me on the sequence here...but just to give you an idea. The correct sequence is in the manual...I really didn't care too much cuz I put all my mp3 in root. But the short answer is yes, it'll play all mp3 songs regardless where u put them.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 11-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hi,
have you noticed any problem with playing MP3 on the Alpine S634?? When playing regular CD, it's fine but when I play MP3, I noticed a lot of "skips" or pop sounds like bad mp3 recording...however, I removed that mp3 cd and played in the house's mp3 player, i did not notice this "skip" or popping problem. The skipping occurs even while vehicle is not moving (ie no shock) and when rewinded, it popped still...I'm wondering if the Alpine S634 is just super sensitive comparing to the home's (and computer) MP3 player or does the damn thing just not as good in playing mp3??? Afterall, I think this is Alpine's first mp3 player????
john
Old 11-22-2002, 11:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

BTW, anyone here uses Peripheral adapter with the Alpine ??? Thx.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:52 AM
Advanced

IS there anyway to access folders or subdirectries on the cd through a screen that you can add to it. You know like you see that are on the changer controllers. Does somebody make something like that, or are those things only for when you use the FM modulation to hook up the changer to stock system.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by CaptainMatt
IS there anyway to access folders or subdirectries on the cd through a screen that you can add to it. You know like you see that are on the changer controllers. Does somebody make something like that, or are those things only for when you use the FM modulation to hook up the changer to stock system.
dude, if you would scroll back up about 3 posts, you'll find the answer.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys,
I went to Circuit city and pick up another S634 and plugged it in just to test and see if it would give me the same "skipping/burping problem". Well guess what, the new changer behaved exactly the same as the one I have...so it's 100% not the Alpine. Gotta be the CD. But the funny thing is, if I put that same mp3 (or any mp3 cd) in the house's mp3 player, no skipp or burping. I thought about the bass in the car too..disconnected it and car is not moving..same skipping/burping.

I guess it's just the songs on the mp3 recording mess up and the Alpine is a lot more sensitive (s/n is 105) to pick it up??

Can any of you do me a BIG FAVOR? Can you copy me a couple of songs (any mp3 songs) on a blank CD and test it out on your Alpine S634 to make sure it doesn't skip/burp or anything...and send it to me? I'd like to run your perfect disk on my changer and see if the problem persists. Pleaseeee???? pleaseee?? I have no other way to test this thing now.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:41 PM
Advanced

dude, if you would scroll back up about 3 posts, you'll find the answer.
Umm there is no answer to my question in this thread, Or maybe you dont understand what Im trying to say.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

if you use the stock HU with adapter and S634 changer, you can access all folders by stepping through the files one by one in the pre-determined order...no you can't not see title, what folder etc cuz the stock HU is not capable of displaying such things. Not sure if there is a face display unit that can be attached to the S634 to show you those stuffs (when using with stock HU)..I don't even think there is one. You may (that's probably) can see titles and such with aftermarket Alpine HU....but not folder name/etc I dont' think. Hope that helps.

I guess no one willing to burn me a clean copy of mp3 (just couple songs...any song) for me to test out? Can I just burn you a copy of mine (the one that burp in my system) and send it to you and see if it behaves the same way on yours? I need to narrow down now if it's the damn adapter or the mp3 cdr/songs....thx.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:37 AM
Advanced

RandomWalk
What burning software you using, and what CDR's?
Old 11-24-2002, 08:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by CaptainMatt
RandomWalk
What burning software you using, and what CDR's?
I'm using Ahead Nero to burn Memorex Music CD-r (80 mins) as well as Imitation CDR (80 mins)..
Old 11-24-2002, 10:13 PM
Advanced

I'm using Ahead Nero to burn Memorex Music CD-r (80 mins) as well as Imitation CDR (80 mins)..

Is your nero Updated, and are you making it a data cd or audio? Also are you making it an image or just straight burning? And are you putting text on it maybe take that off like Juliet format. Maybe try a different CD for kicks, buy a couple of singles and see if it changes.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

updated to 5.5.17, straight data CD burning, just burn whatever i downloaded (ei don't add my own text or whatever), trying different CDR now, will try to figure out how to take that juliet format off..
I'm 100% certain it's either the CDR brand or burning style now...it's not the alpine unit nor the adaptor..thx.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:35 PM
boo

updated to 5.5.17, straight data CD burning, just burn whatever i downloaded (ei don't add my own text or whatever), trying different CDR now, will try to figure out how to take that juliet format off..
I'm 100% certain it's either the CDR brand or burning style now...it's not the alpine unit nor the adaptor..thx.
Randomwalk

You might want to try burning your mp3's about 12X max burn speed. I have noticed on my friend's alpine deck that if he burned anything above 12X it has the symptoms as you described. Give it a try and slow the burn speed.

Ben
Old 11-26-2002, 12:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

ahhh..figured it out...
It's NOT the changer/adapter
It's NOT the CDR/CDRW media (brand)
It's NOT the MP3 songs itself...

It's the GodDamn burning software...Nero 5.5.17 is the stupid problem...it burns computer softwares and everything else (even creating regular music fine) but when burning mp3 for the Alpine it skip and burp all over the songs (burning at 6x)

Anyways, I tried and burn few CDs from those same MP3 songs using EZ CD-Creator Platinum and it worked..it worked flawlessly... Yeeeee-Haaaaaahhhh!!
Old 11-27-2002, 05:00 AM
Intermediate

CAN anybody answer this question for me, I already have a 6 disc changer factory installed in my 00 TL, would I be able to just swap it with a mp3 changer without changing any of the wiring.

Ottawa, Canada
Old 11-27-2002, 05:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

aabed11,
YES!
Old 11-29-2002, 02:31 PM
Racer

Hey Everyone,
Has anyone tried this install on a 1st Gen TL? I've been dying to get one of the Alpine MP3 6-disc changers for Christmas.
Old 11-30-2002, 02:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm sure you can do it..but just probably need a DIFFERENT adapter/converter for your car. Just go to Blitzsafe or peripheral website and search for the right converter for your car model/year.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by BASISON
Hey Everyone,
Has anyone tried this install on a 1st Gen TL? I've been dying to get one of the Alpine MP3 6-disc changers for Christmas.
i have it in my first gen. it works fine but its hooked up to my alpine tv and not the stock deck
Old 12-02-2002, 02:43 AM
Instructor

hey u guys were able to plug this into the back of the headunit without removing the center console or pulling out the stereo n all? how did u do that? and what Blitzsafe wire do i need?
Old 12-02-2002, 02:51 AM
Instructor

oh yeah did u need to purchase the KCA-130B converter or did that come with the changer or the blitz cable?

Quick Reply: Added MP3 Changer to Factory Deck!