MDX: add ipod adapter or just replace it all? 2004 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 06:54 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
add ipod adapter or just replace it all? 2004 MDX

I have a low mileage acura MDX w/no nav, but with a cassette deck, CD changer, radio. No XM either. I'd like to add an ipod adapter (hard wired) - I have read that the FM transmitter plug and play types get a lot of static in urban areas.

I'm no whiz at electronics and all the options. I'm driving a lot more now, with kids, and we need good music. Should I install an ipod adapter, or just replace it all w/an adapter included, since I don't think a system w/out nav would allow me to control the ipod through the radio?

I wish the economy hadn't driven out the specialty retailers. I'd like to avoid the big box places, and there really don't seem to be any mom and pop installers w/a good rep here. Can't convince my husband to install (he can do it, I think, but limited time and potential for a lot of hassle). Any advice on finding a good installer?

thanks!
Old 11-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by belle
Should I install an ipod adapter, or just replace it all w/an adapter included, since I don't think a system w/out nav would allow me to control the ipod through the radio?
Confused me on this one. iPod adapter or a replace it all w/ adapter included? By "all" do you mean change out the factory radio for an aftermarket radio?

Originally Posted by belle
I'd like to avoid the big box places, and there really don't seem to be any mom and pop installers w/a good rep here. Can't convince my husband to install (he can do it, I think, but limited time and potential for a lot of hassle). Any advice on finding a good installer?

Your general location might help us help you
Old 11-07-2010, 04:48 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right - change it all out for an aftermarket radio w/adapter. The price diff may be more than I expect though. I do get a little bit of odd buzzing from the radio from time to time, but not often enough to bug me.

wasn't sure if asking about service providers was ok here, but I've since seen it is, and already contacted one. Great forum. I'm in the Wash DC metro area.

thanks so much!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check this thread and the "Auxillary Inputs / iPod Adapters" You can find all the different manufacturers there.
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/%2A%2Aaudio-video-diy-info-faq-all-models-%2A%2A-299065/

I would def go with an adapter not worth it to change all of that out. And hopefully the manufacturers have some recommended shops.

Also, if you go to the "Regions" section of the forum and find the DC/VA guys they can probably recommend a decent shop in the area.
https://acurazine.com/forums/mid-atlantic-311/