791xv Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 11:12 AM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
791xv Questions

any1 with experience....

How do you have the proximity sensor set on your car? I have the 508T for the 791xv, and the sensor is placed next to the cupholders on my 01 TL, It seems to only warn away on the hood and the front two windows. Anyway to set this or move its position to go throughout the whole car itself?

And another question i had was can i add more impact sensors to my alarm?
If so what is the model # to it and would you consider it an easy add-on?

Last but not least, i have my alarm so when I hit my door or something the alarm just goes off, i want the warn away to work first and then have the siren go off after. I have the Voice Module, so when the proximity sensor on the exterior goes off, it says "protected by viper stand back" i want the same shit when the car gets hit the first time.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:59 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
OK, here you go:

1) Re prox: The prox field in open space would come out the end without the wires, in an ellpise shape. So it seems that you have yours pointed towards the front and the wires towars the rear. First thing to try is a 180 degree rotation in the same postion. YOu might have to turn it up a hair too. If that doesn't do it you might want to try it with the wires pointing rearward, but the sensor under the R seat.

Please note that the seats change the field shape and that in cold weather it will pick things up father away, and at all times it picks up more mass from farther away (i.e, if it sees a person at 3 feet, it might see a car or UPS truck at 15 feet).

2) The model for the sensor is 504D I beleive (It may have updated to 504M). It is an easy add-on, but you need to look at your alarm wiring diagram and figure out if you have enough unused zones. You don't want the alarm to go off while you are gone and on your return not be able to tell if the F or the R sensor tripped (makes it way hard to adjust too...) More on this point in the next one...

3) THis one requires a two part answer:

3a) You need to understand how the dual-zone sensor works. Lighter impacts trigger the warning, harder impacts trigger the siren. It's not first-hit, second hit. Viper has used a wire that's warn-away with trigger, but I don't think that's how the impact is suppsed to work.

3b) Since you aren't seeing that, and since you aren't getting good impact performance anyway, I think your impact sensor is mounted wrong. I sold tons of second-rear-aea impact sensors before the 504 came out, but after I sold very few, usually in work trucks with utility beds. I think you have your impact sensor mounted in such a way that it's working poorly.

How DO you have it mounted in the car? How is it physically fastened?
Old 04-26-2005, 03:14 PM
trill recognize trill

thnx for the info man... as for the sensor i gotta check because i actually had some install it. After i find out, i'll let you know.

So to sum up the prox., u suggest placing it in a diff place or movin it around?

or can i hook up one for the front and have another one for the rear?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:08 PM
VP Electricity

For the prox, first try rotating it 180 degrees where it is. Next try turning it up a hair.

With your impact sensor... I personally suspect that this sensor is "hard-mounted" to the car. Other types of impact sensor worked this way. The Directed Magnetic resonance sensor does NOT work this way.

This may sound odd, but the best ways to mount this sensor are wire-tying it to a big wire harness (NOT a metal strut) or velcro or foam taping it to an air duct.

The loose mounting acts as a low pass mechanical filter to the sensor and lets the first-stage and second-stage separate properly... I've seen installers who hard-mount that thing break windshields trying to get the alarm to trigger, while I've seen GREAT coverage on the whole vehicle from one impact sensor properly mounted.

As for you coverage issues with the prox... I think you are trying to get the prox to do something it just sucks at doing. You ahve an idea (probably sold to you) of an invisible field around your car. The best way of doing this (it sucks, but it's the best way of getting wclose to what you want) is to put the sensor upside down in the headliner.

Or, do what I did over a decade ago, and give up on proxes as anything other than a cool way to get window-peekers chirped at.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recommend throwing away the 508D and replace it with a 509U. It works better without the headaches of the 508!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:26 PM
VP Electricity

Oh, good catch, I missed taht.

If you have a 508T you have a VERY old prox.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:36 PM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
I recommend throwing away the 508D and replace it with a 509U. It works better without the headaches of the 508!
thz for the info, how new is it?