6x9 issue 2.5 TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:44 PM
Hurricane Game

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6x9 issue 2.5 TL

i have a 1996 TL. just bought new 6x9s...

here's the issue:

i went out looking for new 6x9s today since the ones i had in old car were somehow blown. so i decided on the Alpine S series 3 ways. I've heard good things about them, etc. the ones in the car now are alpine, so i figured they'd be a good fit. well turns out that i could get these other speakers (Infinity 9603i) for a better price. so i did so.

so i took the other speakers out, etc. and plopped the new ones in. they seemed to sit well in the hole, so i was impressed, and relieved. but then, of course, there was an issue. the holes in the speaker basket and the holes of the car don't quite line up. i can manage to force two in, but then the speaker isn't sealed against the base; one side is popped up a bit. well, i decided not to damage the speaker nor the base holes, so i just set them in there for now. they are pretty heavy and i don't expect them to go anywhere with normal driving. i put the covers back on to keep them from moving much. they can still move quite a bit if i jumped the car or something :P but other than that nothing.

has anyone had this issue? if so.....quick fix? i'd rather not drill holes or put in grabbers, but i guess i'll have to do what i have to do. cuz there will have to be a seal in there once i get a sub back there. thanks for the help in advance.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:07 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I have had two sets of 6x9s in the TSX - MB Quart woofers (holes lined up fine) and some 6x9's I had made with a stock off the shelf frame (holes did NOT line up fine).

I checked with an installer who's done Honda/Acuras lately and he said that a lot of 6x9 holes don't line up with the Hondas, and the solution is to slightly (and while wearing eye protection) drill out the hole from inside the trunk and use the machine screws and nuts that come with the speakers.

He says the sheet metal strips easily anyway, so you might as well use the new screws.

I have done that on the TSX and it was easy.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:54 AM
Hurricane Game

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well of course i'd rather not have to make any modifications. but if that's what must be done, then i might have to do that. like i said, they aren't off by much. so maybe just a little bit of 'boring' out of those holes could do the trick.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:32 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I thought about drilling out the speaker frame instead of the rear deck, but there wouldn't be enough frame metal left for the screw head to actually hold the speaker.

It only took like a millimeter or two in one direction to make the holes line up - I used a Unibit and kinda pushed one way to rout the hole in the needed direction. VOila.

I find that the hex screws used in the TSX strip out with almost no pressure from my 1/4" drive ratchet, so it was probably for the best anyway.