6X9 CDT CL-69 Easy install in rear deck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
6X9 CDT CL-69 Easy install in rear deck?

Has anyone installed these w/out a lot of effort? Do they fit over the original screw holes, and are they shallow enough not to hit the trunk bars?
Old 03-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here are the technical specs for them: http://www.cdtaudio.com/pdf/CL-69.pdf (mounting depth = 3.375")

If no one has any first hand experience then you can compare the depth against specs for some of the other 6x9 speakers that fit.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very late response, I bought these a while ago and they didn't fit in the tsx. The speaker basket doesn't taper off enough, so they stick out of the speaker hole by nearly an inch. They also don't really have much bass to them.

If you're looking for something sub-like for the 6x9 openings look into an MB Quarter RCE-269 (discontinued, but still floating around) and a Genesis P-69 (very hard to find)
Old 05-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by vasu
very late response, I bought these a while ago and they didn't fit in the tsx. The speaker basket doesn't taper off enough, so they stick out of the speaker hole by nearly an inch. They also don't really have much bass to them.

If you're looking for something sub-like for the 6x9 openings look into an MB Quarter RCE-269 (discontinued, but still floating around) and a Genesis P-69 (very hard to find)
I think elduderino also recommended the mb quart and genesis 6X9's. He claims they sound the most "sublike" for 6X9 speakers. But be sure you're amping these speakers and not using the factory amp. They have much lower sensitivity than the stock speakers. I doubt they'd work very well w/out extra power. The Alpine Type S's however, work pretty well as replacement 6X9's if you're still using the stock amp. I just installed a pair in my tsx, and they make a subtle but noticeable difference in bass clarity. They don't seem to go as low, but the bass is much more defined and controlled. No more boom boom boom
Old 05-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually the CDT CL-69 will fit into the TSX without any problems. You won't get all four mounting screw holes to align, but two of them will align diagnally, which is the way I have them mounted. As far as the speaker basket sticking out, yes they stick out a bit, but it's still allows the speaker cover to be mounted on properly (though it's a little tricky).

As far as bass output, I find it decent for using with the stock amp. Keep in mind though if the rest of your speakers are stock, they have a much higher sensitivity. I replaced the stock's with DLS components, and overall I think they do a decent job given that I'm stil. using the stock amp. I'm sure it'll be a lot better if I actually took the time to put in a separate amp. It's not as loud as the stock woofers, and even when compared to the Alpine Type-S (which I had briefly), but I think it reproduces more details then the other two.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by supraken
Actually the CDT CL-69 will fit into the TSX without any problems. You won't get all four mounting screw holes to align, but two of them will align diagnally, which is the way I have them mounted. As far as the speaker basket sticking out, yes they stick out a bit, but it's still allows the speaker cover to be mounted on properly (though it's a little tricky).

As far as bass output, I find it decent for using with the stock amp. Keep in mind though if the rest of your speakers are stock, they have a much higher sensitivity. I replaced the stock's with DLS components, and overall I think they do a decent job given that I'm stil. using the stock amp. I'm sure it'll be a lot better if I actually took the time to put in a separate amp. It's not as loud as the stock woofers, and even when compared to the Alpine Type-S (which I had briefly), but I think it reproduces more details then the other two.
I imagine the alpines are only a subtle cheap upgrade in terms of woofer capability. Do the cdt's have a higher sensitivity than the alpines? I find that i have to turn up my volume only a little bit more w/the alpine 6X9's. But the rest of my speakers are all stock.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jottle
I imagine the alpines are only a subtle cheap upgrade in terms of woofer capability. Do the cdt's have a higher sensitivity than the alpines? I find that i have to turn up my volume only a little bit more w/the alpine 6X9's. But the rest of my speakers are all stock.
From what I can remember, the Alpine has a pretty high sensitivity (92db or so?) while the CDT is along the lines of the other 6x9 options like the ones mentioned in this thread. Since the CDT's have a lower sensitivity, I'd say it's probably not the best option if your other speakers are stock, unless you disconnect the rear mid-ranges and move the fader to the back to offset the senstivity difference between your fronts and the 6x9 (or if you get an external amp, which is the better option of course).
Old 05-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by supraken
From what I can remember, the Alpine has a pretty high sensitivity (92db or so?) while the CDT is along the lines of the other 6x9 options like the ones mentioned in this thread. Since the CDT's have a lower sensitivity, I'd say it's probably not the best option if your other speakers are stock, unless you disconnect the rear mid-ranges and move the fader to the back to offset the senstivity difference between your fronts and the 6x9 (or if you get an external amp, which is the better option of course).
That'd be nice, but the factory amp only sends low end to the rear 6X9's no matter what I do New amp and speakers here I come!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Registered CL-er!

have anyone ever thought of using these

ED 7kv.2

here's some pics being installed in an accord

Accord rear deck install
Old 05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Advanced

Not certain how those would work installed in a 'free-air' kind of setup (which is what the back deck would essentially be)...also, I did not see a frequency response listing, so have to wonder how low they can go being only 6" in size.
In terms of fitment, they might be a little deep for the TSX deck...there are 6x9 to 6" adapters available on eBay or elsewhere that should help in fitting them to the deck itself, though...
Old 05-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Registered CL-er!

Originally Posted by Osmodious
Not certain how those would work installed in a 'free-air' kind of setup (which is what the back deck would essentially be)...also, I did not see a frequency response listing, so have to wonder how low they can go being only 6" in size.
In terms of fitment, they might be a little deep for the TSX deck...there are 6x9 to 6" adapters available on eBay or elsewhere that should help in fitting them to the deck itself, though...
according to the website it can go as low as 28-30 hz. i've been all over this forum, internet, and youtube trying to get more info sub. Tech support claims the "infinite baffle" setup can go as low and sound the same as if it was in a vented enclosure.

check out this site and look up elemental design

realm of excursion

the site is really helpful. members post videos of every sub ever made.