TL: 6.5" speaker screw question (using 3/4MDF + stock bracket)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 01:20 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
6.5" speaker screw question (using 3/4MDF + stock bracket)

hi guys,

so i managed to properly cut the speaker basket/bracket from the stock bose speakers, and i have a question about how to secure the speaker+basket+spacer into the door.
first, here is a pic as i await my 3/4 MDF spacer:
6.5" speaker screw question (using 3/4MDF + stock bracket)-8xnlwdd.jpg
6.5" speaker screw question (using 3/4MDF + stock bracket)-zielakh.jpg
  1. is the stock 4x30 screw long enough to go through the MDF spacer+basket and into the door?
    • if not, can you guys please recommend the screws that are of sufficient length such that they can go through the spacer/basket and into the stock holes?
    • surely if the stock 4x30 screws aren't long enough to go through the spacer+basket+door, then i need two types of screws (??):
      1. one type to secure the speaker into the MDF,
      2. another type to secure the MDF through the speaker basket screw holes/spots and into the stock 3 holes
  2. for one of my speaker baskets/adapters, the screw holes are sort of gone. while i can easily get another bracket and cut them again, this doesn't seem to be a problem since the speaker/mdf is "above" the basket holes and thus the main priority is to ensure there is a "clear path" to the stock screw holes on the door (which is the case)
    • please correct me if this is wrong.
  3. i read the original howto thread here: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-v...eakers-286546/ but i don't think that's exactly the issue here?
    • he is just suggesting that the bore of the spacer holes that guide the speaker/MDF into the door should be slightly larger than the diameter of the screws used to secure them in the hole, right?

any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. i'm happy that i managed to get the baskets to fit, and with the MDF spacer it seems to be perfect. the last concern is properly screwing the speakers to the spacer/basket/door.

thx
Old 05-22-2017, 01:36 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
i don't think this thread will get enough eyeballs for an answer in this forum. is it possible a mod could please move this to the appropriate forum where it could get a little more traffic? mb 2g generic forum?

thanks.