TL: 2009 generation, stereo info

Old 06-30-2017, 11:00 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 generation, stereo info

Looking for a 2009-13 TL SH and one of my big issues is the stereo. I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger but the stereo has me thinking twice. I wouldn't mind keeping the factory deck if I could get a clean signal, but I also wouldn't mind swapping out for an aftermarket deck if I can retain some of the factory features.
For the tech version, I am guessing there is no way to remove the factory deck, install an after market deck & still keep the GPS screen on the dash. So what happens to this screen? Does anybody do anything with it? If not then it's pointless to replace the deck.
For the non tech version, what happens to the screen if you remove the deck? Does only the radio portion not show up on the screen or does this render the entire screen useless as well?
Do both versions have an amp in the footwell running the 2 ways in the front with a center channel?
Also from everything I've read, the stock signal coming from the deck is less then 1 volt, which is unusable for a SQ vehicle. After the amp you deal with the factory applying their EQ. Would a JL Fix solve the factory EQ'ing or do they cut out certain frequencies all together? Also assuming all this would work. could I run the factory center channel speaker for the GPS & run the rest of the system off my aftermarket system?
Sorry for all the questions, but all the integration is really making me question if I should even be looking at this car.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:40 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey there,
I know your post is almost a month old now so I don't know if you've made a decision to do anything yet. I have a 2009 TSX and realize that things may be slightly different, but hopefully I can be of help in supplying some useful info.

First off, yes, you can change out the head unit from your car. Here is the dash kit for it: Metra Online

My TSX is also a tech model and I had all the same questions. I ended up replacing my radio with an aftermarket one and could not be happier. I did lose factory nav and on screen radio function but the screen still serves as a back up camera. That's it though. Don't know if the TL will still work in that regard but I can't imagine why it wouldn't. No modifying was needed to retain the backup camera function. My new radio has apple car play and that now serves as my on-screen nav via the maps on my phone and works great. I also lost the climate control display, which I was bummed about before I pulled the trigger, but honestly I haven't missed it. I just go by how the air feels on me vs knowing what temp it's on. The one hassle tho is if you have to change the Mode on your HVAC, it is a little bit slower process as you have to rely on feel as well to figure out what function it's on. But unless you're always changing it then it's not a big enough deal to worry about in my opinion.

If you decide to KEEP the factory radio, then yes, the JL Fix (or other brands of the like) will solve the factory EQing. It'll still keep all the frequencies, but it will clean up the signal by flattening it and summing the signal prior to EQing. This was the route I went before replacing my head unit but with a different brand. I used a now older model Audio Control unit and it did a fantastic job. Of course, though, I kept that unit and now use it WITH my aftermarket radio and it is even better!

I hope that helps you out. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Search this Thread