AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/)
-   -   TL: 2006 TL Android radio install (https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/2006-tl-android-radio-install-966163/)

Soloman888 01-14-2018 07:25 AM

2006 TL Android radio install

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, I own a 2006 Acura tl and I am Honda technician working in a dealership.
I will soon start a project on my car which consists in adding an android audio head unit while keeping the stock radio and having both fonctionnal.
To be continued... 😉

Bchester6 01-14-2018 09:19 AM

Delicious. Let us know how that goes. Any particular reason to get an android head unit over a receiver with android auto functionality? Just curious

Soloman888 01-14-2018 09:32 AM

Basically I want to keep the stock unit in place because I don't want to loose my DVD-Audio and DTS 5.1 functions also the new android unit will be linked to the OEM unit via a GROM unit that is connected to the CDC (CD changer) mode, I know sounds fancy.! I will be posting pictures of the installation process to help others who would like to do the same. ��

cassull 02-14-2018 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Soloman888 (Post 16164989)
Basically I want to keep the stock unit in place because I don't want to loose my DVD-Audio and DTS 5.1 functions also the new android unit will be linked to the OEM unit via a GROM unit that is connected to the CDC (CD changer) mode, I know sounds fancy.! I will be posting pictures of the installation process to help others who would like to do the same. ��

I have an 05 TL with navigation and have also been thinking about installing an Android Auto unit. I'm mostly concerned about losing the ability to set the car's clock by replacing the oem navi (which I never had to do, seems like the navi's auto-set time works well, but concerned about losing that and the ability to set manually if I need to); do you happen to know what other features you'd lose out on if you do a quick swap without any custom wiring work?

Soloman888 02-14-2018 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by cassull (Post 16185089)
I have an 05 TL with navigation and have also been thinking about installing an Android Auto unit. I'm mostly concerned about losing the ability to set the car's clock by replacing the oem navi (which I never had to do, seems like the navi's auto-set time works well, but concerned about losing that and the ability to set manually if I need to); do you happen to know what other features you'd lose out on if you do a quick swap without any custom wiring work?

There is no way to install an android headunit in these cars without some wiring work....

Soloman888 02-14-2018 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Soloman888 (Post 16185576)
There is no way to install an android headunit in these cars without some wiring work....

Go check out my gallery, just added couple of pictures of the installation..

Bchester6 02-15-2018 08:33 AM

Very nice work. Did you experience a significant sound upgrade with the new head unit?

Soloman888 02-15-2018 09:38 AM

No, reason is that the Android radio is connected to the OEM unit through rca cable, just like a phone

sbstnce 07-31-2018 02:14 AM

so no update...dope.