2003 TLS Audio Project Log

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Professional Wrestler

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Post 2003 TLS Audio Project Log

I have just purchased an '03 TLS, AM with Black interior, (picked it up on 8/20) and am also new to the boards. So far, I love the car and have been looking fowrard to owning a TL since this body style was new in 1999. I am very excited about the active nature of this board and the wealth of knowledge that is present here. Feel free to suggest anything to me in regards to this project. A big thanks to Jonesi and the ** DIY / Info / FAQ - For All Acura Models ** to get me started.

I will be upgrading the audio in the next couple of months and will be VERY thorough. This will be my third complete DIY audio system retrofit and I think I can avoid most pitfalls but am no genius. I HATE :angryfire that factory stereo systems are so terrible... "Oooo, its from BOSE!" and hopefully this log will help others get some quality sound in their cars.

This is still in the initial planning and information gathering phase but over the next few weeks I will probably have a complete design package ready for fabrication.

Generally, my plan is:

Signal Source:
  • Gut the dash and replace the head unit, I like the new BT Sony but still researching.
  • Get a Metra 99-7868 conversion kit for the dash. Can get it at Circuit City for as cheap as eBay with the shipping ($~20)
  • I will probably install a half DIN EQ/Processer in the pocket location with some Dremel work. That location may change. I have an Audiobahn unit left over from my last system.
Speakers:
  • Replace the front door speakers with components. Probably 6 1/2's. Still researching what will fit with minimal mods. Tweeter placement will probably in the corner of the front windows.
  • Leave the factory rears but run them from a new amp or maybe from the head unit directly (I hate that though). I never have anyoone in the back seat so these will be just for imaging and rear fill. Will probably run them at 1/4 power most of the time so aftermarket quality ins't critical here.
Sub:
  • Build a box for a 12 in the trunk that does not abscure the pass through in the back seat. I am working on the design and sub selection now.
  • Box design concepts at this point are eveolving but I am thinking that it will take up about 1/8 of my trunk space. It will fit from the inside of the passenger side wheel well to the right edge of the passthrough door and extend to the edge of the wheel well (about 14 inches). A well fit sealed wedge design box. I will cover it with as close to factory carpet as I can find.
  • I have an AURA Force 12 that I love but it may be a little too broken in for continued use. Might look into Solobarics from Kicker because of the small enclosure requirements.
  • Yank out the factory BOSE "subwoofer" to let the bass get into the cabin from the trunk through the open hole and grill.
Power:
  • Run the power lead from the battery through the unused grommet by the accelerator pedal to a new distribution block for two amps.
  • Location will be inconspicuously in the trunk or under the front seats if there is room. I have three amps from previous installs to work with. Zapco (100x1), MMATS(125x2), and a JVC digifine(80x4, I think).
  • I will either use the JVC running two channels to the new fronts and two bridged to the sub with the head powering the rears OR the JVC for fronts and rears and one of the others for the sub.
I will inlude in this thread a complete progress history and pictures as the project develops.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Welcome to the club.

Looks like you have a good grasp on what to do and set up so far.
I would use 2 amps. 1 for seperates and 1 for subs.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the system I like in my 02 Black TL-S

I have never posted, but here goes.

I installed a Pioneer Avic-N1 in the dash. you can get the dash install kit online for less than $20. I have the XM module, and the GPS module.

I installed Diamond Audio 6.5 coax in the front doors with Dynamat

I installed Diamond Audio 5.25 coax in the rear doors with Dynamat

I have a custom carpet covered amp box in the trunk. It houses a Diamond Audio D3 300.4 4 channel amp as well as a Diamond Audio D6 600 watt single channel sub amp.

on top of the amp box is a Diamond Audio 10 inch dual voice coil Sub in a fully enclosed box, FIRING backward toward the trunk.

I have the pass through open, but intend to drill holes in the pass through plastic to solve this.

For those of you not familiar with the Diamond brand, it is competition level car audio equipment. Total system cost approx 3K.

I had the installation done at a high end audio store: Ultimate Electronics

This system is crystal clear and rocks. I prefer classic rock and jazz.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Professional Wrestler

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I would use 2 amps. 1 for seperates and 1 for subs.
I had it hooked up that way in my last car and it just seemed like such a waste since I always had it faded all the way forward. I ended up just pulling out the rear speakers and running the sub to the 3 and 4 channel on the JVC.

Originally Posted by shadler
I have the pass through open, but intend to drill holes in the pass through plastic to solve this.

For those of you not familiar with the Diamond brand, it is competition level car audio equipment. Total system cost approx 3K.
I am not sure I get what you mean about the holes in the pass through. It really seems that yanking the sub out of the back deck will provide all the free air passage from the trunk that would be needed.

Thanks for your input. I actually had Diamond Audio components in my last car and was VERY happy with their sound qualiy. They were Diamond Audio Motorsport M551 components.

I am very interested to see the details if you have any photos. I would be happy to host them if you PM me.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
for Diamond Audio
I have the same door speaker setup, but have dual 10's in sealed boxed, inverted as well, but all memphis audio amps instead.

Originally Posted by shadler
I have never posted, but here goes.

I installed a Pioneer Avic-N1 in the dash. you can get the dash install kit online for less than $20. I have the XM module, and the GPS module.

I installed Diamond Audio 6.5 coax in the front doors with Dynamat

I installed Diamond Audio 5.25 coax in the rear doors with Dynamat

I have a custom carpet covered amp box in the trunk. It houses a Diamond Audio D3 300.4 4 channel amp as well as a Diamond Audio D6 600 watt single channel sub amp.

on top of the amp box is a Diamond Audio 10 inch dual voice coil Sub in a fully enclosed box, FIRING backward toward the trunk.

I had the installation done at a high end audio store: Ultimate Electronics

This system is crystal clear and rocks. I prefer classic rock and jazz.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Heres an older pic of all the visiable components. Have since added a custom cover for the amps on the left side that power the door speakers, as seen in the 2nd picture. Sig has all the specs listed.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice idear...i upgraded my bass to a 12L7 but havnt updated components..i sure will soon though
Old 08-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Professional Wrestler

I really like the look of the amp cover. Thanks for the pics. Is the window just plexiglass? How did they do the logo?

I went to Fry's today to look at some head units and was really a fan of the built-in USB connection on the single DIN sized units.

I will stop by Tweeter and Car Toys tomorrow to tinker around with few of them to see how browsing directories works. I am thinking that one with a pigtail is a good idea and I can run it to the "ash tray" or somewhere inconspicuous.

I am figuring that I could use it similarly to a CD changer and put several CD's or mixes on a 1 or 2 GB memory stick and have a collection of maybe 4 drives that rotate. I like it because I can remove and rearrange songs really easily.

I can find a 1 GB Stick at Buy.com for $5 after rebate and a 2 GB Stick for $28 after rebate.

I am kicking around the idea of fiberglass for the box with a carpet cover to really secure it into the wierdly shaped corner of the truck to minimize the obstruction of the trunk space. I will probably only need about a 1 cuft box. I have only ever built wooden (MDF) boxes before so for easy of construction it may default to that.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

yeah its just plexiglasss, then i had the decal made.. i forgot the exact website i order it from but they had like every car manufacture, etc and you could get them in different types. I think that one is called etched glass or something like that so it looks like its etched in and not a sticker.